News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tax avoidance by the obscenely wealthy

Started by Oexmelin, June 08, 2021, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Also I am not sure it is even something we should strive for. Corporations and other entities can accumulate wealth and assets over decades but people cannot? Seems like such a system is designed to empower institutions and hamstring individuals. Also most estates are not cash but things like a house. So we take some family's home once grandpa dies? Seems pretty draconian.

But I understand the sense of fairness and incentives it wants to create.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2021, 03:11:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2021, 02:55:22 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2021, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2021, 05:25:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2021, 05:06:11 PM
It seems a lot of the problems could be avoided without a wealth tax if you have a significant estate tax (which would include the unrealized gains on assets transferred). And also more teeth in anti trust enforcement/possibly strengthening of laws.

An estate tax is just a wealth tax that is levied only occasionally but at a higher rate.

How about a universal 100% estate tax?  :P

If one adheres to classic liberal ideology, that would actually be ideal.

I've always thought there were good arguments in favour of it. The notion being that wealth 'ought' to be earned by the person earning it, not merely accumulated. Though the children of the wealthy would get a major boost nonetheless, having grown up with the benefits of having wealthy parents ... after all, given average lifespans, they would be teaching retirement age themselves by the time such a tax would affect their parents.

The main strike against it is the difficulty in preventing the wealthy from getting around it in various ways.

Indeed.  If anything, the spike in gift tax claims would be of space elevator proportions.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on June 10, 2021, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 10, 2021, 02:21:16 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 10, 2021, 02:12:28 PM

WHY DO LEFTISTS LIKE YOU WANT TO CANCEL CAPITALISM??????? DO YOU NOT SEE POOR PEOPLE CAN FEED THEMSELVES NOW!!!!11111!!

That doesn't even begin to make sense.

1/10, You can't crow over someone pointing out how moronic your trolling is!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

The main strike against it is it interferes with a person's right to dispose of their accumulated wealth as they so please.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2021, 02:55:22 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2021, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2021, 05:25:47 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 08, 2021, 05:06:11 PM
It seems a lot of the problems could be avoided without a wealth tax if you have a significant estate tax (which would include the unrealized gains on assets transferred). And also more teeth in anti trust enforcement/possibly strengthening of laws.

An estate tax is just a wealth tax that is levied only occasionally but at a higher rate.

How about a universal 100% estate tax?  :P

If one adheres to classic liberal ideology, that would actually be ideal.

I've always thought there were good arguments in favour of it. The notion being that wealth 'ought' to be earned by the person earning it, not merely accumulated. Though the children of the wealthy would get a major boost nonetheless, having grown up with the benefits of having wealthy parents ... after all, given average lifespans, they would be teaching retirement age themselves by the time such a tax would affect their parents.

The main strike against it is the difficulty in preventing the wealthy from getting around it in various ways.

The main strike against it is that it is a horrible, destructive idea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2021, 03:16:49 PM
The main strike against it is it interferes with a person's right to dispose of their accumulated wealth as they so please.

It doesn't dispose of those rights at all...you have them for the rest of your life.

grumbler

The ways of getting around it can be closed.  Tax tangible gifts over some small threshold as income, for instance.  You could buy your child a car, but not a house.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2021, 03:16:49 PM

Since that isn't a right, your objection isn't very persuasive.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

What will the government do with all those houses and boats and assets it takes though?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 10, 2021, 03:17:11 PM
There are so many strikes against this idea that the probability of any strike against it being the main one is exceedingly small.

grumbler

That may be so, but every alternative is even more horrible and destructive, so we need to choose the policy that limits the horror and destruction.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Yeah. That is the main thing.

I guess if Disney Corporation loses everything to the state everytime the CEO changes it might be fair. Institutions? Keep your shit forever! Families? Give us all your shit peasants.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2021, 03:21:06 PM

That may be so, but every alternative is even more horrible and destructive, so we need to choose the policy that limits the horror and destruction.

If you say so.

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2021, 03:21:06 PM

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2021, 03:19:59 PM
What will the government do with all those houses and boats and assets it takes though?

What it does with assets acquired through an estate tax now.  It isn't like an estate tax is some new concept.

Bayraktar!