Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2021, 10:39:55 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2021, 10:35:48 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 10, 2021, 10:33:36 PM
Estate tax is double taxation.
So is sales tax, so what?

So it is less than ethical and you should not do it :contract:

Should people not pay income tax if they are paid by a corporation that already paid corporate tax on their profits? I mean the heirs have never paid tax on that money, so where is the double taxation going on?

It strikes me that it is very hard to find any taxation on any bit of money that has not been previously taxed in a previous transaction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2021, 07:57:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2021, 03:42:48 PM
Charities aren't well defined and aren't well vetted (consider the Trump Foundation).

The Trump Foundation that was vetted and closed?  Not a good example.

The Trump Foundation is the exception that proves the rule.  It's actions were so far from any charitable purpose, so outrageous in it's self-serving behaviour - yet it took Trump becoming President and having the world's biggest target on his back to have it shut down.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2021, 10:31:17 AM
Charities aren't well defined and aren't well vetted (consider the Trump Foundation).

The Trump Foundation is the exception that proves the rule.  It's actions were so far from any charitable purpose, so outrageous in it's self-serving behaviour - yet it took Trump becoming President and having the world's biggest target on his back to have it shut down.

It is bizarre to see a prosecutor argue that we cannot restrict people from doing things because they might break the rules.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Ah, the old "correlation = causation" fallacy.  I would have thought a prosecutor would be especially sensitive to its abuse.

Remember the First Rule of Holes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2021, 06:12:46 PM

Ah, the old "correlation = causation" fallacy.  I would have thought a prosecutor would be especially sensitive to its abuse.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I'm done trying to have substantive debates here.

Not leaving - there's the odd bit of personal info to share, or pop culture talk, but serious political debates?  I'm over it.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

About 10 or 15 years too late, if you ask me.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

HVC

BB had a rough week here. Take some time to breath and remember the posters you should ignore. It helps.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Grumbler is a poor choice for a last straw, B.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 11, 2021, 10:37:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2021, 06:12:46 PM

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I'm done trying to have substantive debates here.

Not leaving - there's the odd bit of personal info to share, or pop culture talk, but serious political debates?  I'm over it.

If that's all it takes to trigger you, maybe you should take a break.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2021, 01:15:36 AM
Grumbler is a poor choice for a last straw, B.  :P

Listen to the man.  At least choose someone who engages in ad homs or strawman arguments, or red herrings as your last straw.

Bayraktar!