News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tax avoidance by the obscenely wealthy

Started by Oexmelin, June 08, 2021, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Dossier on ProPublica.

To nobody's great surprise, the obscenely wealthy avoid as much tax as they can; in some cases, paying no income tax for a few years.

ProPublica has gained access to IRS files to assess effective tax rates for high profile multi billionaires.

Warren Buffet: 0.10%
Bezos: 0,98%
Bloomberg: 1.30%
Musk: 3.27%

Bezos claimed a 4,000$ tax credit for his kids, intended for people with low revenues.

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

I do not disagree that the wealthy need to pay more tax and bear the highest burden of all taxpayers, but ProPublica seeming to not understand why billionaires aren't paying taxes on unrealized gains is...weird. I am still reading. I am hopeful that they are not promoting some sort of tax on unrealized wealth growth.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

That income tax doesn't tax non-income wealth growth is not news.  It isn't even supposed to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

No. They use it to illustrate why personal tax rates are an insufficient tool to tax fairly. They explain how unrealized wealth is used to leverage a ton of borrowing at favorable rates, which in turn is used to squeeze more favorable terms of taxation.

In the end, the level of wealth of these people is just so high as to be incomprehensible. Whether the wealth is unrealized or not, it affords people to live in conditions of material luxury which citizens use to assess comfort and, to some degree, fairness.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Maybe rich people should pay a consumption tax of some kind. I don't know.

I don't really like the idea of a wealth tax as it seems difficult to manage and easy to game, just from a practical standpoint.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
I am hopeful that they are not promoting some sort of tax on unrealized wealth growth.

That's what Elizabeth Warren wants to do.

Tamas

With our society seemingly moving toward a wealth/asset-based neo-feudalistic setup, the fair thing would be to tax wealth (assets) primarily. But I don't expect it to happen.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 08, 2021, 02:40:02 PM
With our society seemingly moving toward a wealth/asset-based neo-feudalistic setup, the fair thing would be to tax wealth (assets) primarily. But I don't expect it to happen.

I am highly skeptical of the feasibility of this. Also it seems to punish people who invest and not those who just blow their money on hookers and yachts. It seems like we should incentivize the former not the later.

Or maybe not. Maybe the yacht and hooker industries could use the shot in the arm.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2021, 02:42:39 PM

I am highly skeptical of the feasibility of this. Also it seems to punish people who invest and not those who just blow their money on hookers and yachts. It seems like we should incentivize the former not the later.

Or maybe not. Maybe the yacht and hooker industries could use the shot in the arm.

Hey, giving more money to sex workers is a good thing. At least they will then spend it and put it back into the economy instead of hoarding it.

Threviel

Isn't property taxes often a tax on unrealised gains?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Threviel on June 08, 2021, 03:15:27 PM
Isn't property taxes often a tax on unrealised gains?

It depends on how often property assessments are updated.
In the US the federal government does not tax property - that is done at the state level.
Oex article is about federal level taxation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2021, 12:36:57 PM
I do not disagree that the wealthy need to pay more tax and bear the highest burden of all taxpayers, but ProPublica seeming to not understand why billionaires aren't paying taxes on unrealized gains is...weird. I am still reading. I am hopeful that they are not promoting some sort of tax on unrealized wealth growth.

I read it as surprised as in shocked in find gambling at Rick's place.

And yes their clear implication to have a wealth/net worth tax.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Why would you want to create an incentive for wealth to be concentrated rather than spent?

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2021, 03:28:17 PM

Why would you want to create an incentive for wealth to be concentrated rather than spent?

Because investing is generally better than wild consumption. Or at least I think that is true. It might not be true and maybe we do want to incentivize blowing your wealth.

Admiral Yi

I've said before I would have no problem with a wealth tax if it started at a low enough level of wealth.

What I do object to is agitprop from advocates of a wealth tax.  For example characterizing the fact that unrealized capital gains are currently untaxed as "tax avoidance."  I have unrealiized capital gains.  I am not a tax avoider.  Fuck you Pro Publica.