Wanted: Caretaker to look after uninhabited Scottish island

Started by Syt, May 28, 2021, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-57282018

QuoteWanted: Caretaker to look after uninhabited Scottish island

A remote and uninhabited Scottish island is looking for a resident caretaker.

Isle Martin, near Ullapool, has no full-time residents but needs someone to keep the island in shape for visitors this summer.

If months of lockdown didn't faze you, living without a soul for miles around might be the job for you.

The island's community trust is inviting solo applicants and couples to register their interest.

Isle Martin has just enough to keep visitors busy for a few hours. Two beaches, a micro museum (in a hut) and a hill which affords fantastic birdwatching.

The island hosts Scotland's first seaweed festival (6-12 September) and, if you are lucky, one of the volunteers may be running a pop-up cafe when you visit.

The island was gifted to the community by the RSPB and Isle Martin Trust became a charity in 1999.

The volunteer caretaker will be the first full-time resident to live on the island in 30 years and the move signals the start of plans for the trust to generate interest in the island.

The island also aims to be plastic-free and sustainable.

Trust director Becky Thomson told the BBC what the position entails. She said: "It is a bit of housekeeping. They need to keep the three houses on the island prepared for guests, clean the public toilets, welcome the visitors and make sure they are sticking to Covid safety measures."

The work will amount to about three hours per day. In return, the caretaker gets to live on a little piece of island heaven in provided accommodation, earn £150 expenses per week and enjoy all the island has to offer.

Isle Martin is located at the mouth of Loch Broom, about three miles north-west of Ullapool in Wester Ross. The nearest mainland is less than a mile away at Ardmair.

At just 400 acres in size, it lies below the towering cliffs of Beinn Mhor Coigach and opposite the ancient Viking Fort of Dun Canna.

Beyond the island are the Summer Isles - a group of islands which lie off Achiltibuie on the beautiful Coigach Peninsula.

It is only five minutes by boat from the mainland.

Over the years it has held a monastery, a herring curing station and a flour mill. It is now recognised as a bird sanctuary.

The trust does warn that it is a post for someone who likes the outdoors and is not reliant on creature comforts.

There is no running hot water and only a small solar electrical charger that may power a phone or a laptop or even some lights.

The candidate will have to be resourceful and resilient and probably very practical. And they will have to be able to drive a power boat - their only way on and off the island.

In particular, the trust would welcome volunteers who bring specific skills they may wish to share for the benefit of the community during their time on the island.

Becky Thomson said: "If someone enjoyed the land, they could revive our vegetable garden if they wanted."

She also explained why she thinks people fall in love with the place.

"The sense of escape and peace and quiet," she said. "It is so near the mainland but as soon as you land on the island it's lovely and peaceful. There are no cars, no roads. Just quiet. That's what people like - the feeling of restfulness."

The trust has extended the application deadline until 22:00 on 1 June and more details on how to apply are at the island trust's Facebook page.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

QuoteIf months of lockdown didn't faze you, living without a soul for miles around might be the job for you.

I've been living without a soul for years.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

If it had electricity, and it cannot be that hard to run electric out to the island, I would be all over that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on May 28, 2021, 02:28:29 PM
If it had electricity, and it cannot be that hard to run electric out to the island, I would be all over that.

It has a solar panel. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Hey I know that part of the world!

Just a few km north of there was an Island - Tanera Mor - that was for sale a few years ago.  I had daydreamed about buying it, even done a couple of idle google searches.

In 2016 I also visited the nearby town of Ullapool.  We were supposed to go on a whale-watching trip, but the weather was too bad.  So we looked around Ullapool for a little while.  Nice enough town but pretty darn small.  The nearest city of any size was Inverness (which isn't all that big either), but on Scottish roads was probably 2 hours away.

Looks like Tanera Mor was sold to an Englishman for 2 million pounds who wanted to develop it. :bleeding:

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/news/new-vision-revealed-for-tanera-mor-137237/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

I'll take it over look after it. Useful as a longphort. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Is it a fort or a port?  It's both!

Doesn't the lack of pillaging and raping take a lot of the fun out of it?

Oexmelin

Visit for the seaweed festival, stay for the midsummer celebrations.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

I'd be astonished if it didn't have electricity and internet - it's Scotland not Outer Mongolia :P

It might not have fibre though.

I've also been to Ullapool and that this advert doesn't mention midgies is misleading :ph34r: :bleeding:

QuoteLooks like Tanera Mor was sold to an Englishman for 2 million pounds who wanted to develop it. :bleeding:
What could possibly go wrong with landowner wanting to develop an idyllic retreat on the the largest Summer Isle for his "creative pursuits" and "celebrations" :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 28, 2021, 03:45:43 PM
I'd be astonished if it didn't have electricity and internet - it's Scotland not Outer Mongolia :P

It might not have fibre though.

From the article: "There is no running hot water and only a small solar electrical charger that may power a phone or a laptop or even some lights."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Simply having enough supplies to last the winter seems like it would be expensive, having to transport it all to an island and all.

Yeah I would want an electric water heater powered by a solar array with a battery back-up. You are looking at tens of thousands of dollars right there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2021, 03:55:49 PM
Simply having enough supplies to last the winter seems like it would be expensive, having to transport it all to an island and all.

Yeah I would want an electric water heater powered by a solar array with a battery back-up. You are looking at tens of thousands of dollars right there.

Get a boat with an outboard motor and just motor into the nearby town.

I give it 50/50 odds you can get a wireless signal on that island.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.