Wanted: Caretaker to look after uninhabited Scottish island

Started by Syt, May 28, 2021, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2021, 03:55:49 PMSimply having enough supplies to last the winter seems like it would be expensive, having to transport it all to an island and all.

It says it's 5 minutes away from the nearest village by motor boat, so except on days in which the sea is too choppy it's not such an ordeal to go to land for supplies. In any case I doubt anyone would want to stay there during the winter, if the point of the whole thing is to have the island ready for summer visitors it'd be more than enough to stay there from, say, May or June until whenever the summer season ends, maybe after the seaweed festival in September. Having to live there year round would be quite a different kind of deal...

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2021, 04:08:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2021, 03:55:49 PMSimply having enough supplies to last the winter seems like it would be expensive, having to transport it all to an island and all.

It says it's 5 minutes away from the nearest village by motor boat, so except on days in which the sea is too choppy it's not such an ordeal to go to land for supplies. In any case I doubt anyone would want to stay there during the winter, if the point of the whole thing is to have the island ready for summer visitors it'd be more than enough to stay there from, say, May or June until whenever the summer season ends, maybe after the seaweed festival in September. Having to live there year round would be quite a different kind of deal...

But that's the point of the deal.  You have free room and board and a stiped for your trouble, but you need to live there full-time in order to make sure things are ready for the summer.   :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2021, 04:10:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2021, 04:08:13 PM

But that's the point of the deal.  You have free room and board and a stiped for your trouble, but you need to live there full-time in order to make sure things are ready for the summer.   :ph34r:

But that's completely overkill if there are only three huts to take care of, there's no need whatsoever to spend the winter there. Maybe you can spend the winter in the nearby village on land and just take a look around the islands once per fortnight or so just to check on stuff.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on May 28, 2021, 03:52:49 PMFrom the article: "There is no running hot water and only a small solar electrical charger that may power a phone or a laptop or even some lights."
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read articles before going in with a two-footed challenge.

You are, of course, correct :blush: :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Will Willem Dafoe be there spouting Melvillian gibberish?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2021, 04:26:14 PM

You don't have confidence that one of us could spout Melvillian gibberish?  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 28, 2021, 04:38:49 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 28, 2021, 04:26:14 PM

You don't have confidence that one of us could spout Melvillian gibberish?  :(

Will you spout with me on the island? :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.