Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 01:08:32 PM
You're all wrong and it doesn't belong on pizza - but it is funny :P

Have you ever tried it? :contract:

I'd feel bad about the pizza hijack, but the Euros are over so it seems acceptable...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2021, 01:11:54 PM

Of course - it's not an exotic, hard-to-find delicacy :P

Edit: Also - through the sadness, glad this explanation of It's Coming Home still works :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Also surprisingly decent despite sounding awful is "London pizza".
It has chips in it.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 02:04:15 PM
It has chips in it.

Did you just say something positive associated with "London"? :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2021, 01:11:54 PM

Of course - it's not an exotic, hard-to-find delicacy :P

Edit: Also - through the sadness, glad this explanation of It's Coming Home still works :blush:

If footy ever does come home, will England ever be the same again? :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 02:07:48 PM
Wut? :blink:

From google image search, looks to be a Northern abomination.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Marcus Rashford's made a statement:
https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford/status/1414672529717964807

Apparently the overwhelming majority of messages have been positive and supportive - the response in Withington is about a mural of him in his home town. It got defaced last night and then through the day the community have been covering up the bits that were defaced:

Edit: Also Harry Kane's tweet about the abuse to those players couldn't be clearer from just a captain. Again I think it's embarassing how much these players had to do and call out because of the weakness of people in authority - including the FA and social media companies:
QuoteHarry Kane
@HKane
Three lads who were brilliant all summer had the courage to step up & take a pen when the stakes were high. They deserve support & backing not the vile racist abuse they've had since last night. If you abuse anyone on social media you're not an @England fan and we don't want you.

Edit: And Tyrone Mings has directly called out Priti Patel/the government on this:
QuoteTyrone Mings
@OfficialTM_3
You don't get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as 'Gesture Politics' & then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we're campaigning against, happens.
QuotePriti Patel
@pritipatel
I am disgusted that @England players who have given so much for our country this summer have been subject to vile racist abuse on social media.

It has no place in our country and I back the police to hold those responsible accountable.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Josquius

I don't normally watch the news but caught it today. Quite a nice contrast   between the nationals coverage of people storming Wembley, abuse etc... And the local news talking about how great pickford is, interviewing his old pe teacher, etc...

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2021, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 02:04:15 PM
It has chips in it.

Did you just say something positive associated with "London"? :o

I mean, it's not something I'd usually order or anything. It's just not as bad as it sounds. When you think about it it's just potato, cheese and tomato :p
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
I don't normally watch the news but caught it today. Quite a nice contrast   between the nationals coverage of people storming Wembley, abuse etc... And the local news talking about how great pickford is, interviewing his old pe teacher, etc...
Yeah - there was a montage on the BBC of PE teachers etc from home towns which was lovely.

Also interesting on Channel 4 news that they worked with an ethical data firm and found those three players got 2,000 abusive messsages. That is, on the one hand, an absolute torrent for those players to deal with - but also not that many (over 30 million people watched the game) and a proportion appears to come from bots/overseas (I can guess where) given the scale of coverage about it. In a way I would have thought it would be worse.

Although the Sun doing a supportive "We're all behind you" front page is just shameless <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 12, 2021, 02:11:54 PM
If footy ever does come home, will England ever be the same again? :hmm:

I don't know. We used to think Bostonians were depressed assholes because the Red Sox were cursed. But then the Red Sox became un-cursed and yet Bostonians remained depressed assholes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 04:29:13 PM
Yeah - there was a montage on the BBC of PE teachers etc from home towns which was lovely.

Also interesting on Channel 4 news that they worked with an ethical data firm and found those three players got 2,000 abusive messsages. That is, on the one hand, an absolute torrent for those players to deal with - but also not that many (over 30 million people watched the game) and a proportion appears to come from bots/overseas (I can guess where) given the scale of coverage about it. In a way I would have thought it would be worse.

Although the Sun doing a supportive "We're all behind you" front page is just shameless <_<

Well don't worry, it won't be long till they can all move on from racism.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 04:39:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 04:29:13 PM

Well don't worry, it won't be long till they can all move on from racism.
Phew. That's a relief.
Now we can get back to real issues like trans people needing to pee.
██████
██████
██████