News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Attempting to protect a 0-1 advantage through 90 minutes against a quality side is a fool's errand in football, particularly when you have the makeup of this English team, which was pretty attack-minded.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:05:23 AM
Attempting to protect a 0-1 advantage through 90 minutes against a quality side is a fool's errand in football, particularly when you have the makeup of this English team, which was pretty attack-minded.

But I didn't see a team trying to dig in. I saw a team trying and a few cases almost managing a second goal in the first half. Then the Italians had their espressos at half time and nullified England efforts in the second half.

Josquius

I'm not sure on England being attack minded.
IMO the way they're setup is for being second best and hitting the other team on the break. That's why they tended to struggle against weaker teams who dug in.

And yes. As Tamas says they tried to score another but nobody seemed willing to shoot. So many almost chances.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2021, 03:23:52 AM
BTW can someone explain the intense man crush TV commentators seem to have for this Grealish fellow? I didn't even hear about him before the tournament and during every single England game I had to listen to just what a big fan favourite he is and what a massive difference he was goijg to make. If he is such an amazing talent why was he a permanent substitute?
He's the People's Himbo. My non-football watching friends were calling for Jack Grealish despite knowing nothing but people want him. When the camera cuts to him warming up it's, the pub cheers like we've scored a goal.

Rory Smith did a good piece on it. I think Grealish is a very good player. He is also the sort of creative, technical, scheming player that English football hasn't produced much for a while. He also looks like a good footballer even to non-fans (unlike, say, Mount who does a lot of good work but lots of it is off the ball). Plus he plays with his short socks or socks rolled down :wub:

And he's a bit of an everyman. He looks like a recognisable type of lad you'll find in every town in the country. He's still playing for his boyhood club. And he's a little bit new (like Kalvin Philips and Declan Rice) because he plays for a mid-table side that have only been up for a little while. We haven't seen him fail, especially on a European night, and those more strongly felt/poisonous club rivalries (Liverpool/United, United/City, Spurs/Arsenal, Everyone/Chelsea) don't apply so much to modern Villa, Leeds and West Ham so it's easier for everyone to like him.

QuoteOh I read about this recently in Engel's England. Italians came over in the 50s to work in the brickworks when the employment boom meant UK citizens had more options, whereas Italy definitely did not.
Interesting - thanks :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Yes. The only team I think can confidently protect a second minute goal are Italy :lol:

I think it took a long time for England/Southgate to react to Italy coming out as strong as they did in the second half - and I think that is a flaw of Southgate's.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 04:11:06 AM
I'm not sure on England being attack minded.
IMO the way they're setup is for being second best and hitting the other team on the break. That's why they tended to struggle against weaker teams who dug in.

And yes. As Tamas says they tried to score another but nobody seemed willing to shoot. So many almost chances.

For all their guile, Italy's defence was slow. They should have been pressured more and England definitely had the personnel for it, but of course that's always a bit risky.

Also, I think England definitely took the foot off the pedal after storming out of the gate. Italy was already getting in control before the end of the half.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 04:11:35 AM
BTW can someone explain the intense man crush TV commentators seem to have for this Grealish fellow? I didn't even hear about him before the tournament and during every single England game I had to listen to just what a big fan favourite he is and what a massive difference he was goijg to make. If he is such an amazing talent why was he a permanent substitute?
He's the People's Himbo. My non-football watching friends were calling for Jack Grealish despite knowing nothing but people want him. When the camera cuts to him warming up it's, the pub cheers like we've scored a goal.

This can be a really bizarre country.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 02:42:46 AMThat was the point which really marred the game imo. Borderline sending off offence, so cheap and nasty. Inevitable in the situation but no less dishonorable.

Step down from the high horse. Was it cynical tactical fouling? For sure. Cheap, nasty and dishonorable? Don't be ridiculous.

QuoteMy (Italian) gf even said she hates chiellini as he has past history of being a git and felt it reflected badly he was the one who got to hold the cup.

Wasn't your gf Swiss?

In any case, I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that what Chiellini did was widely cheered in Italy, and he's even more beloved for it still. Italians love that kind of player and that kind of attitude, and in no conceivable way do they feel that it reflected badly that he received the cup as captain.

Josquius

She can be two things :p

Tactical fouling is shit. As said i can understand people doing it in the situation but it makes it no less worthy of scorn.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I'm seeing Chiellini's foul meme'd to kingdom come, so I'd guess it's hardly frowned upon. It was a bookable offence and he got booked for it. As discussed in the fair play thread, these happen pretty often in football.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:15:49 AM
For all their guile, Italy's defence was slow. They should have been pressured more and England definitely had the personnel for it, but of course that's always a bit risky.

Also, I think England definitely took the foot off the pedal after storming out of the gate. Italy was already getting in control before the end of the half.
I think that's been all of England's games. It's little surges rather than long periods of domination. So really good first fifteen minutes, followed by still strong but less dominant - then half an hour of the other side getting back into it. Southgate waits for their subs and, until, now England have generally finished a little bit stronger as well.

In a way I think that's the next challenge is finding a way of playing where you can up and down the gears during a game rather than these quite stop-start surges. And also able to better exploit those weaknesses - I love Chiellini and Bonucci's a superb defender but I thought there was more we could to test them with a little pace.

QuoteStep down from the high horse? Was it cynical tactical fouling? for sure. Cheap, nasty and dishonorable? Don't be ridiculous. [...]
In any case, I'm going to go out on a limb and presume that what Chiellini did was widely cheered in Italy, and he's even more beloved for it still. Italians love that kind of player and that kind of attitude, and in no conceivable way do they feel that it reflected badly that he received the cup as captain.
Agreed it was a clever, cynical tactical foul (and the type you'd expect from a 35 year old Italian centre back). And I've always had a soft spot for Chiellini and can understand they'll love him more.

But I felt really bad for Saka, only 19 etc :(

In the Independent - apparently Southgate is likely to get a knighthood which is nice and deserved for the last two tournaments.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:31:29 AM
I'm seeing Chiellini's foul meme'd to kingdom come, so I'd guess it's hardly frowned upon. It was a bookable offence and he got booked for it. As discussed in the fair play thread, these happen pretty often in football.
Yeah - I mean I think it's a pretty extreme example which is why it's so easily memed. It's not a typical clever little cynical foul that you might get away with - it's very blatant :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:31:29 AM

Yeah, it was a calculated foul, it's part of the game. He did it very blatantly and took the yellow without complaining. Also, nobody got injured. It won't hurt Chiellini's reputation one bit.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tyr on July 12, 2021, 02:42:46 AM
It was quite funny to see right in front of the camera. Man (surely it should have been prince William? Who was that guy?) puts medal on the player - they immediately take it off.
Almost expected him to throw a "why do I even bother strop" :p

I get taking the medal off, it'll be annoying to wear, but doing it immediately in front of the camera was just ridiculous.

That man was Ceferin, UEFA's boss.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2021, 04:19:27 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 04:11:35 AM

This can be a really bizarre country.  :P

Yeah in my household we couldn't stop mocking him.

And that grealish naked lady bed photo didn't help.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.