News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: But isn't that sort of thing why he's kind of relatable?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on July 12, 2021, 04:40:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:31:29 AM
I'm seeing Chiellini's foul meme'd to kingdom come, so I'd guess it's hardly frowned upon. It was a bookable offence and he got booked for it. As discussed in the fair play thread, these happen pretty often in football.

Yeah, it was a calculated foul, it's part of the game. He did it very blatantly and took the yellow without complaining. Also, nobody got injured. It won't hurt Chiellini's reputation one bit.

I'd even say that it might have enhanced his reputation, in the sense of making him to be the kind of guy who is not afraid to get his hands dirty to do what needs to get done, which is the kind of super pragmatic/cynical stuff that Italy loves about their players, defenders in particular.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 05:05:40 AM

No, I'm not one of the lads. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2021, 05:12:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 05:05:40 AM

No, I'm not one of the lads. ;)
Well neither am I :P But I know of them :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on July 12, 2021, 05:09:57 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 12, 2021, 04:40:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 12, 2021, 04:31:29 AM
I'm seeing Chiellini's foul meme'd to kingdom come, so I'd guess it's hardly frowned upon. It was a bookable offence and he got booked for it. As discussed in the fair play thread, these happen pretty often in football.

Yeah, it was a calculated foul, it's part of the game. He did it very blatantly and took the yellow without complaining. Also, nobody got injured. It won't hurt Chiellini's reputation one bit.

I'd even say that it might have enhanced his reputation, in the sense of making him to be the kind of guy who is not afraid to get his hands dirty to do what needs to get done, which is the kind of super pragmatic/cynical stuff that Italy loves about their players, defenders in particular.

No mention of the slight handball by the English player allowing to get ahead of Chiellini before the latter's foul? Some fair and balanced English analysis.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 11, 2021, 06:46:22 PM

He was asked about it after beating Germany - and it was really moving. He basically said he'd looked up after the win and saw David Seaman in the seats and said "for the teammates that played with me, I can't change that. That's always going to hurt. But what's lovely is we've given people another day to remember."

I think that side of Southgate is possibly why he is so popular.

Edit: Though I do query as well as the subs - putting Saka and Sancho so late in the penalty list because I sort of feel that's when there most likely to be pressure so that's where you put your older more experienced players. But then you have a situation like Ronaldo going last and the team's already lost. I hate penalties :(

If you are thinking of the 2012 semi-final shootout between Portugal and Spain, the Portuguese coach, Paulo Bento, chose an inordinate number of defenders. Southgate did not got that far.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on July 12, 2021, 12:03:15 AM

In Soccer Mexico is the established power while we are kind of this buffoonish underachievers nobody really takes seriously. So I do think we kind of have an inferiority complex in this one area. Plus when Mexico comes over there to play they have so many people living here they annoyingly crowd our stadiums and cheer for Mexico. They are very infuriating. And I don't really want to talk about how obnoxious the last two WC qualifiers were.

An argument often made by French "fans" for Portuguese, Spanish, Italian fans cheering for their respective teams in France. It's sore loser territory, careful.
Heard as well against North Africans but it is much less PC to point out, although the behavior is not the same, and not in a good way.

DGuller

I can see an argument that an action which is deemed unacceptable enough to warrant a sanction should have a sanction be heavy enough so that it's discouraged in all situations.  Punishment should be prohibitive, not merely define the price for action.

Duque de Bragança

Red card for a handball in midfield would be too much IMHO. A free kick would have been enough, in this case.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2021, 07:56:01 AM
I can see an argument that an action which is deemed unacceptable enough to warrant a sanction should have a sanction be heavy enough so that it's discouraged in all situations.  Punishment should be prohibitive, not merely define the price for action.
The Chiellini thing was one of those things that basically divided people who watch football regularly v those who don't in my experience last night. In that it was cynical and clever, but it wasn't the last man so I think was rightly a yellow - while people I was watching with who only watch later stages of international tournaments were outraged that wasn't a red.

Similarly they thought that it was sort of disgraceful and perhaps a reflection on Englishness when fans were booing Italian possession or the players taking their medals off - while I thought hearing fans booing an opposition player having time one the ball was a lovely, warm moment of real fans back in stadiums not the producer auto-tuned crowd noise because it happens at all levels in all countries :lol: And with the medals that is standard in tournaments - I don't know if it's maybe something new :hmm:

Edit: And love this tweet today from the England account - I think we all know who they don't mean:
QuoteEngland
@England
To those who stood by us every step of the way this summer: thank you
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2021, 08:20:18 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 12, 2021, 07:56:01 AM
The Chiellini thing was one of those things that basically divided people who watch football regularly v those who don't in my experience last night. In that it was cynical and clever, but it wasn't the last man so I think was rightly a yellow - while people I was watching with who only watch later stages of international tournaments were outraged that wasn't a red.

Similarly they thought that it was sort of disgraceful and perhaps a reflection on Englishness when fans were booing Italian possession or the players taking their medals off - while I thought hearing fans booing an opposition player having time one the ball was a lovely, warm moment of real fans back in stadiums not the producer auto-tuned crowd noise because it happens at all levels in all countries :lol: And with the medals that is standard in tournaments - I don't know if it's maybe something new :hmm:

It was borderline.
It was out on the flank and there were 2 (IIRC?) other defenders roughly level further up the pitch.
If it had been in the centre then IMO 100% definite red. Though since Saka would have to come inwards a bit then it was a lot more debatable whether Chiellini was the last man (though its likely the others wouldn't have caught Saka and he'd be free to run into the keeper and waste the chance)
From the top of my head I can't remember of Chiellini did many fouls before that? If so and he was already verging on yellow then it should have been red. If his hands were clean then yellow was probably right.

And yeah. Booing the opposing team during the game and trying to distract them is fine. Not up there with booing anthems.

QuoteEdit: And love this tweet today from the England account - I think we all know who they don't mean:
Heh. Nice.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

No way it would have ever been a red, Chiellini was not the last defender and it did not create a clear goal chance. Furthermore, it was not an agression. A yellow was the right call.

FunkMonk

As a huge Saka fan I truly believe Chiellini should be arrested, jailed, and never allowed to play football ever again. What a disgrace to the game.

As someone who played football as a youth and watches football regularly, it's simply a yellow. That sort of stuff happens all the time. Get on with it and keep the game moving.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on July 12, 2021, 08:52:44 AM
No way it would have ever been a red, Chiellini was not the last defender and it did not create a clear goal chance. Furthermore, it was not an agression. A yellow was the right call.
I agree - but I think for people who don't normally watch football they all thought it should have been a red, perhaps because it was so obvious. But as you say he wasn't the last man and there wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity and it wasn't really dangerous.

QuoteAnd yeah. Booing the opposing team during the game and trying to distract them is fine. Not up there with booing anthems.
Yeah - although interestin Gary Neville has a slightly different take on anthems as a former international:
QuoteGary Neville
@GNev2
Jul 9
When I played in the different countries and our NA was booed I always took it as the opposition fans trying to unsettle us , drown our fans out and never as some kind of attack on us as people.Same when we did it other teams. Is it really that bad and disrespectful?

QuoteAs a huge Saka fan I truly believe Chiellini should be arrested, jailed, and never allowed to play football ever again. What a disgrace to the game.
:lol: Yeah. "Well done, he's 19, Giorgio!"
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Make no mistake, if Chiellini did that to one of our players I would be demanding a public trial and execution, pretending that Piqué or Busquets haven't done that foul a hundred times before  :lol: