News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Extraordinary that all the group of death teams have now been knocked out :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

My timing was very good, started watching the match just before the first score.  The first thing I heard the announcer say was that this was no Magic Monday of football. And then goal was scored.

Germany could have a stayed in the game with their two chances.  But it was not to be.  Jacob is a cruel god.

clandestino

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2021, 01:10:31 PM
Extraordinary that all the group of death teams have now been knocked out :blink:

Indeed.

Although the only shocker really was France. Germany were favorites IMO but it was close. Portugal was playing against a good team as well.

FunkMonk

I'm very curious as to how the British media will cover the England team now.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

True.

I went back and forth about a million times on Germany-England - in the UK it seemed like reporters and pundits from overseas were more confident in England :lol: And I think this sort of game does matter psychologically - both beating Germany in a tournament which has never happened in my lifetime and frankly beating a good/traditional top team in a knock-out stage which I can't remember when it last happened. I think for these players in particular they probably now are starting to see and believe in themselves - which I hope they can carry on.

It also feels like we probably should stop moaning about Southgate being negative and defensive (:blush:) because still no goals conceded and he clearly has a plan which has, so far, worked and probably deserves a bit of trust rather than the frustration he's been getting :lol:

Edit: Also - again, as in 2018 - they do look like a team that like each other and are pretty together and happy which is rare for England.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 29, 2021, 01:20:59 PM
:lol: Well I'm already seeing "Sir Raheem Sterling" is trending - he got an MBE for Russia so it sounds about right.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2021, 01:26:47 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 29, 2021, 01:20:59 PM
:lol: Well I'm already seeing "Sir Raheem Sterling" is trending - he got an MBE for Russia so it sounds about right.

Knighthoods, meh. We give away marquisates to our football heroes.  :cool:

Zanza

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 29, 2021, 12:59:44 PM
Germany in ruins
:lol: At least we get a new start without Jogi Löw. #stundenull

Zanza

I can't get worked up about it. I watched the game, but as mentioned before, my passion is gone. Maybe it would have been different watching it in a large group or so.

Josquius

I wonder if this could be a factor in itself, having already had games against top opposition.
Though I'd normally expect this to help them get match fit
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2021, 01:56:51 PM
I wonder if this could be a factor in itself, having already had games against top opposition.
Yeah - and the truth is that entire group seemed weird to me (and the side in a winning position for the most time was Hungary :(). France didn't look great and then looked a bit okay. Germany were great one game and then kind of shambolic. Portugal seemed solid then conceded four. It was all very weird - and unclear where their levels really were.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

Yay for England!

But now time for a blue and yellow victory!

Valmy

Not extraordinary. Told you Hungary sucked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Sweden - Ukraine doesn't look like the most thrilling fixture. Doesn't help that there seems to only be about 47 spectators on stadium.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 29, 2021, 02:00:05 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2021, 01:56:51 PM
Yeah - and the truth is that entire group seemed weird to me (and the side in a winning position for the most time was Hungary :(). France didn't look great and then looked a bit okay. Germany were great one game and then kind of shambolic. Portugal seemed solid then conceded four. It was all very weird - and unclear where their levels really were.

The Football Weekly podcast talked a little about this after yesterday's games, how some teams tend to rely on individual moments to break a game open, rather than all the players playing toward a defined system. I think that concept explains teams like France and Portugal, who played somewhat conservatively and pinged the ball around and hoped their big time players did something cool, and Switzerland, which implemented a certain gameplan with defined player roles and saw how effective it was against the French.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.