And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2021, 03:31:44 AM
Maybe?

My guess is UEFA wanted more games to earn more money. But I could be wrong.

They want 16 to qualify in order to have "a round of 16". If only the top two teams advanced, you'd have 12 teams, which is hard for a knock out round.
The trouble is less that almost every team qualifes to the next round, and more that there are too many teams in the finals to begin with.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

or simple not enough EUFA teams in the group stages.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

I really want Denmark to go through - but I suddenly feel very sorry for the Finns. These are games with real jeopardy :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

God damn, tomorrow I'll buy some Tuborg and a Gammel Dansk! Yay for the Nordic Brazilians!

FunkMonk

Incredible results in this group for the final match  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

bogh

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 21, 2021, 03:40:51 PM
I moaned about the lack of jeopardy. But those five - ten minutes were very enjoyable/exciting: Belgium scoring, Danish fans celebrating (to the confusion of the players), Belgian goal getting VAred, Russia scoring a penalty, Denmark scoring another goal.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2021, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 21, 2021, 03:40:51 PM
I moaned about the lack of jeopardy. But those five - ten minutes were very enjoyable/exciting: Belgium scoring, Danish fans celebrating (to the confusion of the players), Belgian goal getting VAred, Russia scoring a penalty, Denmark scoring another goal.

Yup. The rollercoaster of emotions. Absolutely the reason why football is great.

Sheilbh

The BBC has given up all pretence of impartiality and is fully behind Denmark as "everyone's second favourite team" this tournament :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I think I have to stop watching.

I watched for a bit. Nothing.

Stopped watching for work. Denmark's up 0-2. Great!

Start watching. Russia reduces to 1-2. Oh no.

Tune out to attend a meeting. Denmark's up 1-4. Awesome!

In a 1-4 game, the only goal I saw was the Russian one  :lol:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on June 21, 2021, 03:52:19 PM
I think I have to stop watching.

I watched for a bit. Nothing.

Stopped watching for work. Denmark's up 0-2. Great!

Start watching. Russia reduces to 1-2. Oh no.

Tune out to attend a meeting. Denmark's up 1-4. Awesome!

:cheers:

The Larch

Two games already set for the round of 16, Italy - Austria and Wales - Denmark. Netherlands and Belgium will face teams coming from the best 3rd pool.

Regarding the pool of 3rd placed teams, Switzerland is sure to qualify, with 4 points, while Ukraine and Finland, with 3 points each, will have to wait for the rest of the groups to finish to see if they qualify. It seems it'll be possible to qualify with just 3 points if the goal difference is good enough.

FunkMonk