News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on June 20, 2021, 09:20:40 AM
I still keep a decent tan from all the previous years of basking under the sun of La Roja's sporting glory.  :P

:lol:

Duque de Bragança

Is Threviel on a mission to make neutrals or even rivals root for a bad Roja or what?  :hmm:

Threviel

Hey, I was laughing. Cel made a funny comment and he has all right in the world to be proud of what his team achieved.

It was a part of my ever failing effort to seem like less of an asshole.

Zoupa

Shaquiri woke up didn't he.

Turkey is the disappointment of the tournament.

Italy looks nigh unbeatable, even with their B-squad. They've certainly played better than France, albeit in an easier group.

Good on Wales for going through.

Josquius

Really not getting this best 3rd place teams go through stuff.
They didn't do that before right? From memory maybe The one best?...and usually just in qualifiers.

I'm contemplating buying a TV license with watching this being a main push since my gf said I'd be allowed to.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2021, 02:23:19 AM
They didn't do that before right? From memory maybe The one best?...and usually just in qualifiers.

It was last used in the 1994 FIFA World Cup, IIRC (total of 3 times, 1986, 1990, 1994).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2021, 02:34:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2021, 02:23:19 AM

It was last used in the 1994 FIFA World Cup, IIRC (total of 3 times, 1986, 1990, 1994).

It was already used in Euro 2016, as that's when it moved to 24 participants.

Syt

Fair enough. I don't even recall where the 2016 Euro was held. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

So does Denmark have a chance to catch 3rd place?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2021, 03:20:35 AM
Fair enough. I don't even recall where the 2016 Euro was held. :D

In France.  :frog:

Sheilbh

Yeah I'm not a fan of it. This round of games would normally have some element of peril. But not now.

I mean it's not as bad as the Copa America with two groups of five, of which four qualify :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2021, 03:21:29 AM
So does Denmark have a chance to catch 3rd place?

Winning by at least a couple of goals against Russia with Finland losing to Belgium and we have 2nd position I think. If Finland ties or wins we need a 3 goal win and at least two of these to happen:

Spain to lose, tie or win with a clean sheet against Slovakia while Poland loses points to Sweden
Crotia and Scotland to tie
Austria or Ukraine to lose and North Macedonia to lose
Portugal or Germany to lose

Easy.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I can only guess the thinking is it makes every space competitive?
Top two keep fighting for 1 to get the best draw.
2 and 3 fight for 2nd and automatic qualification.
3 and 4 still have hope of getting a top 3rd position.

I can see a case for one best third place team but the way things are does seem to have turned the groups into just a warm up.... Which in a normal tournament based in a country with tough weather conditions may not be all bad.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Maybe?

My guess is UEFA wanted more games to earn more money. But I could be wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Poor Billy Gilmour - 20 year old Scottish midfielder who made his first full debut against England at Wembley and was excellent and got Man of the Match.

He's now tested positive for covid and needs to self-isolate for 10 days so won't be available for Scotland's next (crucial) game :(
Let's bomb Russia!