News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 18, 2021, 01:58:07 PM
And this match makes it even more jarring that England gets to use "God save the Queen" as anthem.
Yes :ultra: :bleeding:

Change it to Land of Hope and Glory, I Vow to Thee or Jerusalem now :contract:

Also God Save the Queen is a dreadful anthem, as Stephen Bush put it: "'God Save The Queen' has the same energy as a presentation that ends with 'and, as a result, we will be beginning consultation on redundancies'." He's listed I think three good tests of an anthem for sports: 1) can it be sung well drunk (big tick for Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory) 2) by sober choirs with a wide-range of abilities (big ticks also) 3) by an opera singer solo when you're hosting a tournament (big tick again). GSTQ fails on all counts :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2021, 01:22:05 PM
Scotland played with heart but no luck, but Czechia was better.
Yeah I think I disagree - they seemed to get the ball into good places through Robertson and play well as a team. I think Adams should have started. While I think Czechia basically had an outstanding performance from Schick but weren't that cohesive.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2021, 02:08:35 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 18, 2021, 01:58:07 PM
And this match makes it even more jarring that England gets to use "God save the Queen" as anthem.
Yes :ultra: :bleeding:

Change it to Land of Hope and Glory, I Vow to Thee or Jerusalem now :contract:

Also God Save the Queen is a dreadful anthem, as Stephen Bush put it: "'God Save The Queen' has the same energy as a presentation that ends with 'and, as a result, we will be beginning consultation on redundancies'." He's listed I think three good tests of an anthem for sports: 1) can it be sung well drunk (big tick for Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory) 2) by sober choirs with a wide-range of abilities (big ticks also) 3) by an opera singer solo when you're hosting a tournament (big tick again). GSTQ fails on all counts :bleeding:

this is one of my favorite verses in any song:

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter thine enemies,
And make them fall
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

It is just so goofy in a classic 18th/19th century spirit. If that was good enough for the boys to sing as they sailed to victory at Trafalgar, surely it is good enough for the fans of today to sing as their idiot goofball footballers do stupid shit to crash out of another international tournament.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

I mean it's a dirge - but it's a British not English dirge :P

This is a surprisingly fun game so far :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

they should have put the "Rebellious Scots to crush" part back in for this game :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Yeah the English need to get their own damn anthem, not use the UK's. Lame.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 18, 2021, 02:41:31 PM
they should have put the "Rebellious Scots to crush" part back in for this game :D

Yeah but, like most things involving the Scots, the people doing most of the crushing were other Scots.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Threviel

What's up with Fodens hair? Why won't someone tell him it makes him look inbred?

Barrister

HOw does this game look gents?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Foden coming off with his awful bleached hair for Jack Grealish and his head of True English Lion's Mane.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

So many bad passes from the English.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on June 18, 2021, 03:28:21 PM
So many bad passes from the English.

The level of struggling against the likes of Croatia and Scotland does not bode well for the future.

Zoupa

What a bunch of boring games today. Yuck to all 6 teams.

HVC

Finally picked a draw correctly. At least England can always be relied upon to underperform when it matters most.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I thought that was really good from Scotland - who were brave as well in playing some young players who've lots of talent butnot had many minutes, and did very well. As I say I slightly suspect Croatia may well regret gambling that they can easily beat Scotland to get through.

Poor from England - Kane seemed particularly lumbering, almost like he was recovering from an injury which I don't think he is. Also that second half was torrid from England and Southgate very slow to make changes given that he had a bench with Grealish, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin and Rashford. Don't know why he brought Foden off and stuck with two defensive midfielders either instead of trying to change the game with subs, possibly through more attacking changes (of the type Steve Clarke made for Scotland for example).
Let's bomb Russia!