News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Gotta agree with the arrogant Swede there. Euros/Mondials Football is the perfect time where crass remarks and hyperbole against a whole country are allowed.

Everybody on earth was shitting on Italy's catenaccio back then. Everybody mocks England's "This is the year!" every tournament. Part and parcel.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2021, 10:10:16 AM
What is the point of football, international especially, except for indulging in hyperboles and inappropriate cultural generalisations?  :huh:
Yes - and especially as club football has been levelled to often quite similar styles of play excellently executed it is a nice palate cleanser.
QuoteEverybody on earth was shitting on Italy's catenaccio back then. Everybody mocks England's "This is the year!" every tournament. Part and parcel.
And mocks the inevitable English response: "it's ironic" :lol: :P

Also I love when teams play to their national stereotype - nothing pleases me more than seeing Italy score a goal in the 17th minute and then shut up shop. It may not be enjoyable to watch but I'm glad it's happening.

And with football stereotypes I think they often do come from somewhere - and I think they're fine as long as they're being celebrated and not used as just a reason to attack another culture. You know, I associate a certain type of snide shithousery with Argentina and Uruguay (Lamela and Suarez spring to mind as someone who watches the Premier League) and I love it when they get away with something that's technically not allowed. I enjoy it if the Dutch have massive arguments. Nothing is more disappointing than a defensive, dour Brazil or a disjointed performance by Germany. There's a delight in seeing Sweden come out with a compact 4-4-2. We all, secretly, want Hungary to come out with some dazzling tiki-taka before it's time football etc :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2021, 10:33:01 AM
Gotta agree with the arrogant Swede there. Euros/Mondials Football is the perfect time where crass remarks and hyperbole against a whole country are allowed.

Everybody on earth was shitting on Italy's catenaccio back then. Everybody mocks England's "This is the year!" every tournament. Part and parcel.

Footixerie ?  :yawn:

Josquius

QuoteAnd with football stereotypes I think they often do come from somewhere - and I think they're fine as long as they're being celebrated and not used as just a reason to attack another culture. You know, I associate a certain type of snide shithousery with Argentina and Uruguay (Lamela and Suarez spring to mind as someone who watches the Premier League) and I love it when they get away with something that's technically not allowed. I enjoy it if the Dutch have massive arguments. Nothing is more disappointing than a defensive, dour Brazil or a disjointed performance by Germany. There's a delight in seeing Sweden come out with a compact 4-4-2. We all, secretly, want Hungary to come out with some dazzling tiki-taka before it's time football etc :wub:
I draw the line at my abhorrence for racism in all its forms at Argentina.
Cheating bastards.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2021, 10:43:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2021, 10:10:16 AM
What is the point of football, international especially, except for indulging in hyperboles and inappropriate cultural generalisations?  :huh:
Yes - and especially as club football has been levelled to often quite similar styles of play excellently executed it is a nice palate cleanser.
QuoteEverybody on earth was shitting on Italy's catenaccio back then. Everybody mocks England's "This is the year!" every tournament. Part and parcel.
And mocks the inevitable English response: "it's ironic" :lol: :P

Also I love when teams play to their national stereotype - nothing pleases me more than seeing Italy score a goal in the 17th minute and then shut up shop. It may not be enjoyable to watch but I'm glad it's happening.

And with football stereotypes I think they often do come from somewhere - and I think they're fine as long as they're being celebrated and not used as just a reason to attack another culture. You know, I associate a certain type of snide shithousery with Argentina and Uruguay (Lamela and Suarez spring to mind as someone who watches the Premier League) and I love it when they get away with something that's technically not allowed. I enjoy it if the Dutch have massive arguments. Nothing is more disappointing than a defensive, dour Brazil or a disjointed performance by Germany. There's a delight in seeing Sweden come out with a compact 4-4-2. We all, secretly, want Hungary to come out with some dazzling tiki-taka before it's time football etc :wub:

Indeed. One of my all-time favorite moments was the Suarez handball in the 2010 World Cup against Ghana. Seeing him celebrate as the penalty was saved was incredible  :D Such a Uruguay performance and people were absolutely apoplectic.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

In that sense it's funny how the Spanish stereotype/footballing identity has changed so radically and so quickly, as before 2008 our footballing personality was anything but tiki taka.

Threviel

Yeah, let us all pray that Spain for ever continues with their pre-2008 level of success.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on June 15, 2021, 11:38:16 AM
Yeah, let us all pray that Spain for ever continues with their pre-2008 level of success.

:secret:

They won an Euro pre-2008.

Duque de Bragança

This is turning like the Spain-Sweden game yesterday, without pure tiki-taka but with Morata-like efficiency. :frusty:

HVC

Hungary is going to score a last minute goal at this rate.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Well, that took a while.

HVC

Woo. 2-0 is misleading, but i'll take it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2021, 12:41:41 PM
Well, that took a while.

Always better than Spain yesterday.  :P

But Carvalho is slow as hell as a midfielder, good passing nonetheless; Renato Sanches and André Silva enter, and goal by Guerreiro, no less.  :D

Attacking substitutions 10 minutes before the end, typical Fernando Santos.