News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2021, 03:59:02 PM
Deserved win I'd say, more or less. That 2nd "offside" was really... dubious.

That Mbappe penalty not whistled was kinda crazy.

Seemed pretty clear on TV replay. Earlier, possible penalty, yes, OTOH.

Admiral Yi

What ethnicity is Kai Havertz?

The Larch

Threviel

What's with the German with the mask? The bitey dude?

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on June 16, 2021, 04:05:51 AM
What's with the German with the mask? The bitey dude?

I missed the bite.  :pinch:

AFAIK he suffered a small fracture in the face during the end of the season and he has to wear the mask for protection.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2021, 12:50:29 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2021, 11:17:54 AM
In that sense it's funny how the Spanish stereotype/footballing identity has changed so radically and so quickly, as before 2008 our footballing personality was anything but tiki taka.
Nicky Bandini mentioned that in Italy they're describing the way they're playinig as tiki-Italia so maybe if they do really well this tournament and in the World Cup we'll all change our impressions of Italy :lol:

Italy is an interesting case, as Italian football has evolved quite a lot in the last few years or so, both at the national team under Mancini and in the clubs for a bit longer, with their style becoming much more attacking and positive than traditionally, but their association with catenaccio is still so strong that for international audiences it somehow doesn't feel quite right to see the current Italy playing, as it doesn't fit at all with their stereotype.

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2021, 01:04:08 PMWhat is the deal with Germany?

AFAIK the national team has been in a bit of a (relative) shambles since their humiliation in the 2018 WC, being eliminated in the group stage for the first time ever. Löw, who has been quite under pressure lately and will step down from the national team after this Euro, began to implement a forced renovation of the national team then and told a series of big name veterans (namely Müller, Hummels and Boateng) that they were not going to be part of the national team towards the future, which didn't sit well at all with the players. Since then a much younger national team has been quite unstable and unable to find a proper stable lineup, suffering a series of bad results in the last few years (defeated 6-0 by Spain in the Nations League and 1-2 at home by North Macedonia in the WC qualifying).

Löw ended up backtracking and recalling Müller and Hummels back to the team for the tournament, as they badly needed defensive solidity and a goal scoring threat up front, and has managed to create a capable starting XI, but apparently the bench is not quite as good and the talent drop if substitutes have to play is quite steep, particulary in defence.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2021, 01:14:33 PMI really liked the sub for Renato Sanches.

I'd feel very happy if Renato Sanches got vindicated in this tournament. He really impressed in 2016, when he was only 18, but his big move to Bayern kinda derailed his career and has played relatively little since then until this year, when he moved away from bayern to Lille. He should have stayed in Portugal a while longer maturing there before going to a big European club, but he was catapulted to center stage too soon.

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2021, 01:16:08 PM
They've got a very good team and despite him now playing for Liverpool, I really like Jota as a player.

Heh, a sports journo from my hometown uses him as a sign of the scouting failures of my team, as Jota played for a few years in a small club in northern Portugal (Paços de Ferreira) were he could have been easily scooped by my team if they had been smart enough before he entered the big club circuit.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2021, 04:46:08 AM

I'd feel very happy if Renato Sanches got vindicated in this tournament. He really impressed in 2016, when he was only 18, but his big move to Bayern kinda derailed his career and has played relatively little since then until this year, when he moved away from bayern to Lille. He should have stayed in Portugal a while longer maturing there before going to a big European club, but he was catapulted to center stage too soon.

Easy, Benfica was in need of money, and lots of money was too difficult to resist.

They've got a very good team and despite him now playing for Liverpool, I really like Jota as a player.

Heh, a sports journo from my hometown uses him as a sign of the scouting failures of my team, as Jota played for a few years in a small club in northern Portugal (Paços de Ferreira) were he could have been easily scooped by my team if they had been smart enough before he entered the big club circuit.

Paços de Ferreira is a small club, but plays often in the first division of Portuguese football. I suppose it's also a failure of Porto, (30 km of Paços de Ferreira) but maybe he was already too expensive and/or Mendes was around.  :P

Paços is supposed to play the new Conference League European Cup.

Duque de Bragança

Finland just needs to tie [spoiler]to hold the Mannerheim line[/spoiler]to qualify for the round of 16.  :whistle:

Josephus

Finland have a guy named O'Shaugnes on their team. I'm guessing his ancestors were captured during a Viking raid.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on June 16, 2021, 10:45:09 AM
Finland have a guy named O'Shaugnes on their team. I'm guessing his ancestors were captured during a Viking raid.

And an Ivanov, a Taylor and a Hradecky, busy vik....recruiters.  :P

Sheilbh

Quite enjoying this :hmm:

Edit: Although horrendous technical issues with the UEFA feed - and because of covid that's the only feed available for broadcasters.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2021, 11:20:12 AM
Quite enjoying this :hmm:

Edit: Although horrendous technical issues with the UEFA feed - and because of covid that's the only feed available for broadcasters.

4K feed on the sports TV had some issues early on, as in sound and image disappearing, but has improved today. :)

Duque de Bragança

Penalty missed by Gareth Bale; would have killed the game. More golf than anything else lately?