News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Euro 2020/2021

Started by Maladict, May 14, 2021, 06:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Hey, I was watching those horrible 2008-2012 championships :yuk: and Barcelona  :yuk: and Real Madrid :yuk:.

Please let me have my irrational baseless antipathies in peace thank you very much. :moon:

Duque de Bragança

Do you actually watch the games? Because Real Madrid not that big on tiki-taka, for instance.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on June 15, 2021, 06:29:29 AM
Hey, I was watching those horrible 2008-2012 championships :yuk: and Barcelona  :yuk: and Real Madrid :yuk:.

Please let me have my irrational baseless antipathies in peace thank you very much. :moon:

You must really enjoy being irrationally close minded because you're putting together things that are very different. Spain in 2008 didn't play at all like Spain in 2012, and Real Madrid were never a tiki taka kind of team. If you just want to bunch together anything Spanish feel free, but you're opening yourself for ridicule and derision.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think it's pretty awful behaviour by UEFA. Given what happened in that match I don't see the issue with calling it off and giving both sides a point.

When it did re-start and we were told that the players had agreed to re-start the match, it made me think of the concussion rules. The players aren't in the right condition/state of mind to make that decision after that trauma. It needs to be taken out of their hands by responsible people - but it wasn't.

And I've said before but we've had a concertina-ed season, we're having the Euros, we're adding games to the European competitions and we've got a World Cup in January before finishing the season. It could not be clearer that the people who run football do not give a shit about the welfare of players and I get that, at the top level, they're millionaires but I still feel like they can't just be physically rinsed every 3 days for the best part of 2-3 years without suffering health consequences.

But UEFA/FIFA/the national leagues need their money <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2021, 06:59:29 AM
You must really enjoy being irrationally close minded because you're putting together things that are very different. Spain in 2008 didn't play at all like Spain in 2012, and Real Madrid were never a tiki taka kind of team. If you just want to bunch together anything Spanish feel free, but you're opening yourself for ridicule and derision.

Spain and Barcelona for tiki-taka shenanigans and Real for being too dominant.

FFS everyone goes around disliking teams right and left, Chelsea and Man City are constantly mocked. Italy used to be despised by almost everyone (shades of '82), Portugal is despised (due to Pepe I presume). Often it's the successful teams that evoke the strongest feelings. To have likes and dislikes in football is nothing special. It's not usually based on facts, statistics and research but rather feelings.

Tamas

I would like to add France and Germany to the rightfully despised teams :p

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on June 15, 2021, 07:55:48 AM

FFS everyone goes around disliking teams right and left, Chelsea and Man City are constantly mocked. Italy used to be despised by almost everyone (shades of '82), Portugal is despised (due to Pepe I presume). Often it's the successful teams that evoke the strongest feelings. To have likes and dislikes in football is nothing special. It's not usually based on facts, statistics and research but rather feelings.

Disliking is one thing, despising is another. We all have our preferences but to have those levels of antipathy feel ridiculous to me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Threviel on June 15, 2021, 07:55:48 AM

So Pepe does or rather did crap with Real Madrid, somewhat favored by referees like Barça and Atleti, over smaller teams (the real problem), so this means it's ok to despise the whole national team? Wow.  :lol:

Threviel

Hey, I'm just reporting, I have no beef with Portugal, it was just one example. As Tamas says, I could have used France or Germany or Argentina or Uruguay or lots of other teams as examples.

And you are correct Larchie, I don't really care enough to despise, that's just hyperbolic language of the moment.

Tamas

What is the point of football, international especially, except for indulging in hyperboles and inappropriate cultural generalisations?  :huh:

HVC

The Lazy Hungarian is right!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Pandemic is off, football is on!

Grey Fox

Losing is gonna hurt today.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.