News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Question

Started by Malthus, July 21, 2009, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2009, 03:21:09 PM
GBOH has a weird feel to it that I don't like... I have the Cataphract game and IIRC the basic rules are way too basic, and the advanced rules are way too complicated.  I think Richard Berg was involved in the game as a designer or developer, and I don't typically like his game designs, so that might have something to do with it... he has a tendency to throw weird bits of esoterica into his rules which I always assumed was some way of showing off his MAD LEET history knowledge.

OTOH his Geronimo! game is one of my all-time favorites, so he has done some excellent work.

I liked the Gringo Davey Twiggs Diarrhea rule. But yeah, too much chrome in most of his games.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

It's not just that aspect of his designs that annoys me... there's something about his writing style that often confuses me.  I guess I may just be on a different wavelength, but I often find his base rule definitions unclear, and need a playthrough example to understand what he means.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2009, 03:17:09 PMThere are also a couple of ancients miniatures systems out there, none of which I am familiar with.

Malthus, if you're into the miniatures stuff let me know and I can give you a few pointers.

Queequeg

Have you tried Europa Barbarorum?  It is a mod for R:TW, totally changes it.  Insane historical accuracy, about as much as you can get out of the engine.  Link.

Obviously the period is quite a bit different, as you will find that trying to stave off a Parthian cataphract force as the Common Hellenes will be....difficult, no matter the terrain. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2009, 03:21:09 PM
GBOH has a weird feel to it that I don't like... I have the Cataphract game and IIRC the basic rules are way too basic, and the advanced rules are way too complicated.  I think Richard Berg was involved in the game as a designer or developer, and I don't typically like his game designs, so that might have something to do with it... he has a tendency to throw weird bits of esoterica into his rules which I always assumed was some way of showing off his MAD LEET history knowledge.

Richard Berg is the smartest man he knows, and don't you forget it or he'll remind you.

QuoteOTOH his Geronimo! game is one of my all-time favorites, so he has done some excellent work.

One of the only games I've ever bought and promptly sold fast as I could.  Gack, what a snoozer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 22, 2009, 03:25:39 PM
I liked the Gringo Davey Twiggs Diarrhea rule.

I always preferred the Captain-Jack-Shoots-You-Point-Fucking-Blank-At-The-Treaty-Table-And-How-Do-You-Like-Them-Apples-Paleface action card.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2009, 09:02:04 PMOne of the only games I've ever bought and promptly sold fast as I could.  Gack, what a snoozer.
:unsure: I really liked the game dynamics (i.e. the side switching and all).  Also, gradually wiping out the Red Menace warmed my heart.

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 22, 2009, 02:56:52 PM
GMT is apparently releasing a game of ancient chariot battles that includes scenarios like Troy

I seem to recall that there are a couple of old games on the Trojan War (and in this instance, by "old" I mean mid-to-late seventies vintage) but I can't remember the names.

Threviel

Quote from: Queequeg on July 22, 2009, 08:43:30 PM
Have you tried Europa Barbarorum?  It is a mod for R:TW, totally changes it.  Insane historical accuracy, about as much as you can get out of the engine.  Link.

Obviously the period is quite a bit different, as you will find that trying to stave off a Parthian cataphract force as the Common Hellenes will be....difficult, no matter the terrain.

What happened to the supposed Europa Barbarorum for EU:Rome anyway?

The Minsky Moment

This game looks pretty promising: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-142-hellenes.aspx

The examples of play seem intringuing and the designer has a good track record.  And you can sacrifice to the gods.

I also think the Pelo War is a very suitable subject for wargaming as well - there are land and naval actions; a breadth of potential alternative strategies; contrast of different capabilities; interesting leaders.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2009, 11:56:10 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 24, 2009, 11:13:31 AM
This game looks pretty promising: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-142-hellenes.aspx
block games :bleeding:

I'm a convert to block games mister!  :mad:

:P

Hopefully Hellenes will be better than Columbia's Athens and Sparta out of the box.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2009, 11:57:19 AM
They anger me.  For one, alot of them require you to rotate the block to reflect unit damage, and inevitably some clumsy fuck bumps the table and screws everything up.

The Minsky Moment

Hopefully Hellenes will be better than Columbia's Athens and Sparta out of the box.

This is the guy who did all the Front games.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on July 24, 2009, 11:58:31 AM
They anger me.  For one, alot of them require you to rotate the block to reflect unit damage, and inevitably some clumsy fuck bumps the table and screws everything up.

That's the problem with Kentucky gamers - the whiskey to gameplay ratio is too high to handle anything that isn't nailed down.
--Joan Robinson