News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The EU thread

Started by Tamas, April 16, 2021, 08:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Re: the whole EU should develop its own independent military operational capabilities and/ or move away from the US, the Danish Prime Minsiter has recently said the following:

- The alliance between Europe and the US is the most significant alliance globally, and it's important to maintain it as such.

- This alliance has provided security and stability to not just Europe, but the whole world.

- We (Europe) should absolutely work to improve our ability to collaborate and act on issues there are important to us (f.x. migration and terror), but this should never happen at the expense of the trans-Atlantic relationship.

- When asked about the idea of a common EU defense policy, she thinks that's "very far away." NATO is both the starting point and the central point for any defense policy, and that's going to continue being the case in the future.

- It's only natural that there'll be conflicts, twists, and turns between collaborators but we should also take care not to take issues between individual countries (like, say, France and the US) and involve everyone else, nor should they be escalated to the point where they damage the alliance. If that happens it won't benefit any of us, but it'll benefit Russia and others who have ill intentions towards us.

She's a Social Democrat, but I think there is broad agreement across the political spectrum on this.

I think this aligns pretty closely with Sheilbh's analysis earlier of where France stands in terms of leading the EU in terms of security. There's a bit of a road to be travelled before they get there.

Berkut

She read my post, clearly.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 06, 2021, 12:28:59 PM

She may have, but I think this has been Danish (and many other EU countries) policy for quite a while. I honestly don't think it's changed substantially since 1945, and I don't foresee it changing any time soon.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2021, 12:36:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 06, 2021, 12:28:59 PM

She may have, but I think this has been Danish (and many other EU countries) policy for quite a while. I honestly don't think it's changed substantially since 1945, and I don't foresee it changing any time soon.

Of course. My position here is by no means new or ground breaking.

The attempt to break up NATO in favor of specific nations getting to be a slightly bigger fish in what they imagine to be a smaller pond (but is not), has been ongoing for some time.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

QuotePolish court rules that EU laws incompatible with its constitution

Serious challenge to integration comes against backdrop of rows between ruling nationalists and Brussels

Poland's constitutional court has ruled that some European Union laws are in conflict with the country's constitution, in a serious challenge to a key tenet of European integration.

The constitutional tribunal ruled that some provisions of the EU treaties and some EU court rulings go against Poland's highest law. Two judges dissented from the majority opinion.

The ruling will define the future of Poland's already troubled relationship with the 27-member bloc in the key area of law and justice.

The Brain

Quote from: The Larch on October 07, 2021, 11:34:23 AM
QuotePolish court rules that EU laws incompatible with its constitution

Serious challenge to integration comes against backdrop of rows between ruling nationalists and Brussels

Poland's constitutional court has ruled that some European Union laws are in conflict with the country's constitution, in a serious challenge to a key tenet of European integration.

The constitutional tribunal ruled that some provisions of the EU treaties and some EU court rulings go against Poland's highest law. Two judges dissented from the majority opinion.

The ruling will define the future of Poland's already troubled relationship with the 27-member bloc in the key area of law and justice.

So Poland will leave the EU? God I hope the door doesn't hit it on the way out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

So Martinus will exit the EU twice.

Zanza

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on October 07, 2021, 11:45:16 AM
Polexit when?

If it did happen they'd probably be more rational then the UK :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Not great.

Still not particularly keen on withholding covid recovery funds (fair game on everything else), but that feels like the thing the Commission will point towards.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on October 07, 2021, 11:39:10 AM
So Martinus will exit the EU twice.

Hes still in London?

I wonder if the poles (and friend) being extra cunty in recent years is due to brexit making them cocky the EU doesn't want another leaver.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Didn't Germany had a similar ruling not too long ago? I mean the primacy of German law over EU law?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2021, 03:47:40 AM
Didn't Germany had a similar ruling not too long ago? I mean the primacy of German law over EU law?
Yeah - not for the first time. Karlsruhe has form for this. I've always thought their position is basically contrary to EU law but it's only been in theory so far and from a position of the EU it's dangerous.

I liked John Cotter's analogy that the difference is the Polish Tribunal set out to try and burn the EU legal order down. The German Constitutional Court was playing around with matches, tried to set a controlled fire, which got out of hand. It was quickly put out quietly, some people (me) got very annoyed and most would like to pretend it never happened.

But - the German Constitutional Court still has the matches, and the Polish Tribunal looked at it and thought it was interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2021, 04:50:20 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2021, 03:47:40 AM
Yeah - not for the first time. Karlsruhe has form for this. I've always thought their position is basically contrary to EU law but it's only been in theory so far and from a position of the EU it's dangerous.

I liked John Cotter's analogy that the difference is the Polish Tribunal set out to try and burn the EU legal order down. The German Constitutional Court was playing around with matches, tried to set a controlled fire, which got out of hand. It was quickly put out quietly, some people (me) got very annoyed and most would like to pretend it never happened.

But - the German Constitutional Court still has the matches, and the Polish Tribunal looked at it and thought it was interesting.

In other words Germany is strong enough to be let to do whatever they want without triggering a backlash, but Poland is not.

celedhring

The Spanish Constitutional Court ruled the same in the 1990s. The Constitution was then amended.  :P