News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Road trip methodology

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2021, 09:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you prefer to handle long drives during vacations?

Point A to Point B, no dilly-dallying
Point A to Point B with a hotel break and maybe taking in the sights
Point A to Point B via Points A1, A2, and possibly A3
Road trip? Isn't that what planes are for?
Jaron can't drive

Zanza

I would stop along the way to visit sights, eat and sleep. I could not even drive that long and keep concentrated enough to drive safely.

DGuller

I've never taken a really long road trip, but generally I do try to drive somewhere with a more interesting scenery than noise-absorbing barriers.  The only problem with this is that it takes a lot more mental energy for me to drive on local roads, and if you make a driving mistake due to tiredness on a two-lane road, the consequences could be pretty bad.

PDH

I can do the insane drive thing - when I came out to Santa Cruz I drove a U-haul from Laramie to Elko, Nevada.  Next day to Santa Cruz.  Then in a bit over a month I flew back to get my car I had left with a friend.  Flew in to Denver on a Friday, went up to Laramie, got my car and drove to Western Wyoming where I crashed at a friend's house.  Next morning at about 3am I left and drove straight through to Santa Cruz - maybe 16 hours.

I can do the long haul, I just don't like to do it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Gups

Definately in the make the trip a part of the holiday guy. Always used to break up 500 mile journeys to the south of France with two hour lunch breaks and a stay in a hotel. A 250 mile trip to Cornwall will include a long stop for a pub lunch and a short walk. Mpotorway service stations to be avoided for anything other than petrol.  Fortunately the wife takes the same view.

crazy canuck

When I was younger I was very much a point A - B directly and as quickly as possible.  Sleep is for the weak.

Then I married Mrs. CC - very much a smell the flowers along the way personality.

Thinking back on it, that was one of our biggest conflict points.

But she has moved me very much to her way of thinking.  The journey is very much more important than the destination now - but we still have a lot of fun when we get there.  So maybe the best of both worlds.  :)

mongers

Damn, some of you guys sure have driven a lot; I've probably only driven around 70-80,000 in total so far in life.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2021, 10:45:59 AM
When I was younger I was very much a point A - B directly and as quickly as possible.  Sleep is for the weak.

Then I married Mrs. CC - very much a smell the flowers along the way personality.

Thinking back on it, that was one of our biggest conflict points.

But she has moved me very much to her way of thinking.  The journey is very much more important than the destination now - but we still have a lot of fun when we get there.  So maybe the best of both worlds.  :)

How? :mellow: How did she convince you?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2021, 11:20:01 AM
Damn, some of you guys sure have driven a lot; I've probably only driven around 70-80,000 in total so far in life.  :bowler:

It's a North American pastime. Before the pandemic, I drove 600+ miles for a weekend trip at least once a month.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

I've grown fond of the motorhome, very much a stop and look around every few hours vehicle.

Duque de Bragança

Paris-Bragança is more or less 14 hours (1400 km roughly), with some good driving practice and stamina, and somebody with you to alternate or just be the navigator in pre-GPS, a few breaks to fill the tank plus eat and drink  lightly, is doable in a point A to B way, through the ™Crossroads of the World™, of course. Well, not anymore there has been a bypass for Zamora for quite a while now.

So 0800 to 2200 for day people, night for night people obviously. Less traffic being the advantage.

Mind you, this would be done mostly for summer holidays, possibly Christmas as well so 2 to 4 times per annum maximum.

When the TGV makes is through the wild Basque lands, this will be probably less interesting, unless you need to move lots of stuff around.

PDH

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 09, 2021, 11:25:15 AM

When the TGV makes is through the wild Basque lands, this will be probably less interesting, unless you need to move lots of stuff around.

Won't you have to worry about wild tribespeople cutting off your supply lines?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2021, 11:23:51 AM
I've grown fond of the motorhome, very much a stop and look around every few hours vehicle.

Yes, Threviel your road trip AAR from a couple of years ago was rather interesting; something I'd like to have a go at myself on the continent.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 09, 2021, 11:25:15 AM
Paris-Bragança is more or less 14 hours (1400 km roughly), with some good driving practice and stamina, and somebody with you to alternate or just be the navigator in pre-GPS, a few breaks to fill the tank plus eat and drink  lightly, is doable in a point A to B way, through the ™Crossroads of the World™, of course. Well, not anymore there has been a bypass for Zamora for quite a while now.

So 0800 to 2200 for day people, night for night people obviously. Less traffic being the advantage.

Mind you, this would be done mostly for summer holidays, possibly Christmas as well so 2 to 4 times per annum maximum.

I got the bus from Paris to Coimbra once (and back obvs), really nice people on the bus, mostly Portuguese with fairly basic jobs in Paris. It took a long time but was very cheap.

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2021, 11:31:15 AM
Quote from: Threviel on April 09, 2021, 11:23:51 AM

Yes, Threviel your road trip AAR from a couple of years ago was rather interesting; something I'd like to have a go at myself on the continent.

That was an interesting once-in-a-lifetime event. Made a francophile out of a francophobe.

We're planning a BeNeFra-trip, but I fear that will have to wait until 2021.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2021, 11:20:01 AM

I miss my car. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.