How Zealous Are You About Covid Compliance?

Started by Admiral Yi, March 31, 2021, 07:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now with kung-fu action grip!

2 (5.4%)
8 (21.6%)
10 (27%)
10 (27%)
4 (10.8%)
2 (5.4%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.7%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
I clicked the button down here because it's so shiny
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 37

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 10:56:37 AM
Yeah - distancing on the street has long gone in my area of London. Although that may just be because I go to the shops at the same time as everyone else so when they're busy. It's not like lockdown 1 when you went outside and the streets were so empty it was like being out on a weeknight past midnight.

And obviously there's normally security controlling how many people are in a shop. I'm not back to browsing the same shelf as someone else or reached across someone or anything like that. But in lockdown 1 it would basically be one person per aisle - that's gone from me and everyone else.

I think everyone still basically keeps a metre away from each other when queueing to go into the shop or at the till - but all my shops are like Tesco Metro size so if you need stuff in the areas by the tills (toiletries mainly <_<) it's more or less impossible to distance.

I think I will probably take extra care now because I know that people who've been shielding are now being allowed out which is great.

I think it might just be a 'symptom' of me, I'm so used to have to go to places avoiding rush hours, traffic and by going via quiet, oft unseen ways that I end up being in towns when they're at their most quiet.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

No and it is a fair comment. But I have tried to keep my "normal" schedule as much as possible even while I'm now mainly staying at home. So I go to the shops at lunch, or just after I finish work for the day or on a Saturday morning. Those are always annoying busy times. They're not as busy as they were pre-covid but they're not far off.

And all the shops around me are the inner city "quick" supermarkets not a big one - which are always one in one out when I get there.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

I use masking and hand hygiene when out and about. Whenever clusters pop up here that have general transmission (that is they're finding random people outside of quarantine) my guys stay in our family bubble and don't meet their grandparents, etc. Otherwise I don't think too much about covid because the biggest, most effective measures adopted here are the border testing and quarantining of incoming travelers. We do get some leakage because of assholes and morons hence we're putting all incoming travelers into prison camps "quarantine hotels" effective today. We've gone full New Zealand. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2021, 11:36:13 AM
No and it is a fair comment. But I have tried to keep my "normal" schedule as much as possible even while I'm now mainly staying at home. So I go to the shops at lunch, or just after I finish work for the day or on a Saturday morning. Those are always annoying busy times. They're not as busy as they were pre-covid but they're not far off.

And all the shops around me are the inner city "quick" supermarkets not a big one - which are always one in one out when I get there.

All supermarkets around here seem to have given up on restricting numbers.

Chiming in with what you've said about natural ventilation, I think some of those express stores aren't so bad if you look at internal volume vs the size of their entrances; there's a tesco express 7 miles away, that I can take two pace into, pick up a paper, walk another 8-10 to get milk and within another dozen or so, I've done the check out and exited the shop.

Also probably without having to have breathed in.   :D

Duque de Bragança

I still don't understand why pensioners feel the need to do their shopping at rush hours, when they have no work hours constraints.

Less so these days, to be honest.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2021, 11:49:56 AM
I use masking and hand hygiene when out and about. Whenever clusters pop up here that have general transmission (that is they're finding random people outside of quarantine) my guys stay in our family bubble and don't meet their grandparents, etc. Otherwise I don't think too much about covid because the biggest, most effective measures adopted here are the border testing and quarantining of incoming travelers. We do get some leakage because of assholes and morons hence we're putting all incoming travelers into prison camps "quarantine hotels" effective today. We've gone full New Zealand. :hmm:

Leggy, good to know things are going well.

During the late Autumn before the pandemic I really encouraged a younger acquaintance of mine to follow through with her travel plans and tour the Far East.

She set off in the November and got to Thailand/Cambodia etc. Apparently she made to New Zealand, her original final destination, but I'm now wondering if she's praising or cursing me for it?

I've not been on social media to find out.

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2021, 12:06:57 PMShe set off in the November and got to Thailand/Cambodia etc. Apparently she made to New Zealand, her original final destination, but I'm now wondering if she's praising or cursing me for it?

New Zealand's had a great pandemic, relatively speaking.

Syt

Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2021, 12:46:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2021, 12:06:57 PMShe set off in the November and got to Thailand/Cambodia etc. Apparently she made to New Zealand, her original final destination, but I'm now wondering if she's praising or cursing me for it?

Turns out that being a remote island at the end of the world that regularly is forgotten on maps has its benefits. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on April 01, 2021, 12:56:48 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on April 01, 2021, 12:46:12 PM

Turns out that being a remote island at the end of the world that regularly is forgotten on maps has its benefits. :P

Are you talking about Iceland, or New Zealand. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Yeah.  :lol:

Although the total shambles on the border in many European countries is still atrocious. Totally fucking up there just means cascading superspreader events with paralyzed societies and windrows of dead oldsters.  At least the Brits have a competent vaccine rollout as a balm. :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2021, 09:13:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2021, 09:05:07 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2021, 08:40:14 AM
You guys are way overvaluing yourselves.

Hmm? I'd rather not get sick and/or die.

:hmm: I meant, 9s - 8s - 7s?

Iorm gives himself a 9 but goes maskless around people (to eat) and meets people socially.

Celed gives himself a 8 and visits his family!

Compared to you they are 5s, maybe.

Ah yes, I agree that I'm far away from others as I'm literally a recluse.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

I'm basically 1 notch above wherever alfred russel is.  Maybe a 3?  I wear my mask when I'm out of the house, I try to stand 6' away, but I really don't give a fuck for my personal status at this point and I eat out about as much now as I did before the pandemic.  I didn't come down with covid while my wife was coughing her lungs out in the bed next to me, at least not in an antibody-generating manner, and I've been fully vaccinated since that.  So whatever.

fromtia

Not very zealous? a modicum of zealous? I wear a mask when I go into any building really, as I understand that offers me plenty of protection. I wash my hands whenever I return to the house. I do not socialize at all and I exercise alone. But I do those things anyway in more normal times.

I got vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity and I'm vocal about the benefits of doing so to anyone who will listen to me.

I do got to work in a busy restaurant 4 days a week, I wear a mask the entire time I'm there, as do all of my colleagues and I wash my hands constantly as do my co workers. Guests do not wear masks while dining obviously, but they do when they arrive.

I've been tested a couple of times and negative both times.

Thats about it. I imagine in a way if Republicans and their media ecosystem hadn't decided early on to make a public health challenge a part of the culture wars we could have taken moderate precautions in January and February, like widespread mask wearing , and saved countless lives and peoples livelihoods. Oh well.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

viper37

Quote from: fromtia on April 02, 2021, 01:09:23 PMI wear a mask when I go into any building really, as I understand that offers me plenty of protection.
unless you have a N95 mask, it offers you near zero protection against covid-19.  It does protect others from you, however, in a moderate way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2021, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: fromtia on April 02, 2021, 01:09:23 PMI wear a mask when I go into any building really, as I understand that offers me plenty of protection.
unless you have a N95 mask, it offers you near zero protection against covid-19.  It does protect others from you, however, in a moderate way.
Hasn't this been debunked a long time ago?  Even surgical masks protect you to some extent, even if they're mainly designed to protect others from you.