News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Greatest crisps

Started by Josquius, February 17, 2021, 04:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which flavour of standard crisps is best?

Ready salted/plain
3 (15%)
Cheese and onion
3 (15%)
Salt and vinegar
5 (25%)
Prawn cocktail
0 (0%)
Beef/Bacon/BBQ/other meaty flavour
1 (5%)
Sour cream
0 (0%)
Paprika
3 (15%)
Spring onion/dill
2 (10%)
Something spicy
2 (10%)
Some weird foreign thing which I swear is totally normal where I am
1 (5%)
I hate crisps so much there isn't even one I hate the least
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Josquius

Purely speaking of standard crisps here. Your walkers/lays/whatever.
Doritos, monster munch, and the like need not apply.
I fully expect this to go well.  :bowler:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Why do you guys boil crisps?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on February 17, 2021, 04:30:41 AM

https://food.ndtv.com/news/viral-video-boiled-chips-mashed-potatoes-correct-recipe-2359304#:~:text=Home%20chef%20Eli%20started%20the,it%20for%20no%20apparent%20reason.

QuoteHome Chef Makes Mashed Potatoes With Boiled Chips; Here's The Right Way

[...]

Home chef Eli started the recipe by first adding salt and vinegar to a pot of boiling water. Then, he throws in a few bags of chips and allows it to cook, stirring continuously until soft and mushy. He proceeds to drain the potatoes, straining out the excess water and drinking it for no apparent reason. Next, he puts the mushy chips into a pan with some grated cheese and paprika. "Delicious," he exclaims at the end while trying his bizarre creation

https://youtu.be/BofMywpwlPE
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2021, 04:44:14 AM

https://food.ndtv.com/news/viral-video-boiled-chips-mashed-potatoes-correct-recipe-2359304#:~:text=Home%20chef%20Eli%20started%20the,it%20for%20no%20apparent%20reason.

[...]

Home chef Eli started the recipe by first adding salt and vinegar to a pot of boiling water. Then, he throws in a few bags of chips and allows it to cook, stirring continuously until soft and mushy. He proceeds to drain the potatoes, straining out the excess water and drinking it for no apparent reason. Next, he puts the mushy chips into a pan with some grated cheese and paprika. "Delicious," he exclaims at the end while trying his bizarre creation

This is so bizarre I'm half tempted to try it. I won't live it down if someone sees me doing it, though. Damn this lockdown.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on February 17, 2021, 04:44:14 AM

[...]

Makes sense. Thanks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

My favorite are jalapeno flavored.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Of the UK classics - cheese and onion.

Overseas - paprika or dill/spring onions.

In former Yugoslavia only - peanut flavoured crisps :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I like BBQ, and sour cream and onion. 

Curry is great too. 

Thailand has a really nice rice cracker with pork floss. 

HVC

I'm going with the Canadian write in of ketchup. Which doesn't actually taste like ketchup
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Syt

There used to be chips here with Bratlfett flavor, i.e. pork lard. They don't make them anymore. :(

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Plain salt Lays Gourmet is the food of the gods.

There's a variant with black truffle that feels really decadent when you eat it, and might give you some regrets, but is sooooo gooood.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2021, 07:38:31 AM
Plain salt Lays Gourmet is the food of the gods.

There's a variant with black truffle that feels really decadent when you eat it, and might give you some regrets, but is sooooo gooood.

I tried these a while back, they were surprisingly good (the truffled cheese was the main taste, and the sparkling wine in the aftertaste):

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

I could do without the sparkling wine, but the truffled cheese sounds delightful.

I think I've seen that brand in airport shops and the like, and some of their flavours are quite fanciful.  :lol:

Josquius

Yeah, Kettle are good. They've a far more rustic texture and just feel so much better than bog standard Walkers et al.
Sometimes they do really lean into this posh crisp vibe :lol:
██████
██████
██████