News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Military coup in Myanmar

Started by Barrister, February 01, 2021, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Wait a minute. Isn't OvB the one running this place? Should we really respond as he deserves?

Edit: No, that's BvS. Carry on.

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on February 04, 2021, 11:51:53 AM
I don't know, I think the generals have probably done the right thing here. This is dangerous stuff:

https://apnews.com/article/myanmar-charges-aung-san-suu-kyi-6884aae25bac2dbf952a8cc0447c83fc

QuoteYANGON, Myanmar (AP) — Myanmar authorities charged the country's deposed leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, with possessing illegally imported walkie-talkies, her allies said Wednesday, a move that gives the generals who overthrew her legal grounds to detain her for two weeks.
Sometimes I think this kind of thing is a mocking power move.  It's sort of like "yeah, we both know it's silly, feel free to rage impotently about it".  Another example is Navalny being jailed for being too comatose to meet his parole obligations.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2021, 12:05:21 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2021, 09:24:50 AM
You guys need to get your heads out of your asses. Islam is a toxic, dangerous ideology. Wanting Islam out of our communities is no different than wanting Nazism, QAnon, etc out of our communities. It's long past time we stop pretending ideologies of hate and destruction somehow are only valid targets of opprobrium when they are niche views held by a few deplorable white people. It is quite the case that such ideologies are just as terrible when they're held by a billion mostly brown people.

Take this drivel back to 4chan

but has he said anything untrue when it comes to the ideology?
as opposed to what he said about the people (remember, most Germans between 1930-1945 were also not bad people, same for the Russians between 17 and 91, etc etc)

Valmy

Even if Islam was a toxic ideology that needs to be opposed, the way you do that is empower opposition ideas and protect people becoming apostates. You don't do it by persecuting them, religions in particular tend to perversely thrive on it. And especially in this case we are talking about some obscure minority in a rather insular country. I don't think them suffering whatever they are suffering in Myanmar is going to help reduce toxic ideas out there in the world. That is kind of ridiculous.

If you thought Christianity was some big toxic ideology in 14th century I don't think Tamerlane's systematic annihilation of the Nestorians did much to slow its spread.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2021, 01:42:00 PM
If you thought Christianity was some big toxic ideology in 14th century I don't think Tamerlane's systematic annihilation of the Nestorians did much to slow its spread.

Christianity is still a toxic ideology  :sleep:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 04, 2021, 01:27:59 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2021, 12:05:21 PM
You guys need to get your heads out of your asses. Islam is a toxic, dangerous ideology. Wanting Islam out of our communities is no different than wanting Nazism, QAnon, etc out of our communities. It's long past time we stop pretending ideologies of hate and destruction somehow are only valid targets of opprobrium when they are niche views held by a few deplorable white people. It is quite the case that such ideologies are just as terrible when they're held by a billion mostly brown people.

Take this drivel back to 4chan

but has he said anything untrue when it comes to the ideology?
as opposed to what he said about the people (remember, most Germans between 1930-1945 were also not bad people, same for the Russians between 17 and 91, etc etc)

You can also go back to 4chan.

Freedom of religion does not only apply to religions you approve of.

Eddie Teach

CC, are you bigoted against weebs?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 04, 2021, 04:16:35 PM

If a weeb means a person who believes that wanting Islam out of our communities of ok, no I am not bigoted against them.  I am diametrically opposed.

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 04, 2021, 02:56:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2021, 01:42:00 PM

Christianity is still a toxic ideology  :sleep:

If you think so you would know persecuting them is the exact wrong way of dealing with them. They thrive on that.

I mean look at Poland. The Communists worked very hard to weaken the church and by the time the Soviet Bloc collapsed it was probably the most Catholic country in the world, even the Vatican was intimidated.

Muslim apologists, just like Christian apologists, love using persecution of Muslims to give Islam a noble brand and make it more popular and stronger. What is happening in Myanmar is going to only make Islam stronger, just as what happened in Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2021, 04:19:21 PM

If a weeb means a person who believes that wanting Islam out of our communities of ok, no I am not bigoted against them.  I am diametrically opposed.

You know 4chan is not a website about figuring out how to get Islam out of communities right? It is a fandom website.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 04, 2021, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2021, 04:19:21 PM

You know 4chan is not a website about figuring out how to get Islam out of communities right? It is a fandom website.

I confess the most I know about 4chan is that it is inhabited, in part, by white nationalist idiots.

Eddie Teach

It's meant for Japanese fanboys. Naturally there is some overlap.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 04, 2021, 05:03:36 PM
It's meant for Japanese fanboys. Naturally there is some overlap.

It is a weird combination isn't it?

"I prefer the culture of this East Asian nation to my own...and I also OPPOSE EVERYTHING FOREIGN!!11"

Cognitive dissonance is such a fascinating thing.

Grey Fox

CC, 8chan is the one you are looking to send Ovb back to.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

How is Islam a more toxic, more dangerous ideology than Christianity which gave us QAnon and White Supremacism?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.