Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Spoilers to follow (as if it didn't say in the thread title):

Yup - it's a 2-parter.  It's no longer self-contained stories.  And The Watcher breaks his vow and is going to start interfering.

It's the nature of a show like this to quibble, so...  I thought from Loki that Infinity Stones only work in their own universe?  So how can Ultron be so powerful and go smashing through different realities at will?

And in fighting Infinity-stoned, vibranium-bodied Ultron I can understand how Evil Dr Strange would be helpful.  But Captain Carter, or StarLord/T'Challa?  And who else would they bring back?  Killmonger/Black Panther I guess?  Party Thor?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

My thoughts - they dealt with Thanos really stupidly there. Meant to be a joke I guess?
The Watcher being dragged into the story... I guess we saw it coming but interesting anyway. Odd how ultron couldn't /didn't kill him.
I do like how they've brought back ultron as a major threat. Age of ultron has suffered with time as the in between film. Ultron was just some minor villain of the week in light of Thanos.
Also I like his anime aesthetic.
I'm not quite sure what was up with the black widow/hawk world and ultimate ultron world. They seem to be the same yet ultimate ultron destroyed everything already?...
Also not getting how they phoned somebody. And how this episode fits in with the end of party thor. Alternate Watcher versions?

Edit err hawkeye not hawk. Marvel really like birds of prey.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 30, 2021, 05:03:16 PM
My thoughts - they dealt with Thanos really stupidly there. Meant to be a joke I guess?
The Watcher being dragged into the story... I guess we saw it coming but interesting anyway. Odd how ultron couldn't /didn't kill him.
I do like how they've brought back ultron as a major threat. Age of ultron has suffered with time as the in between film. Ultron was just some minor villain of the week in light of Thanos.
Also I like his anime aesthetic.

It does beg the question of why Vision couldn't have similarly sliced Thanos in half.  I'd have to go back to that movie and watch that scene.  But from a story-telling perspective I think they just didn't want to spend yet more time re-visiting the Infinity War storyline, and get on to something different.

I think Age of Ultron suffered because it just wasn't that good a movie.  I have a notion there were some behind the scene conflicts.

jimmy olsen

Spoiler for Venom: Let there be Carnage.

[spoiler]Venom is pulled into the MCU by Dr. Strange's spell in an after credit scene[/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

What if... The watcher broke his oath?

So yup - we get the Guardians of the Multiverse.  Captain Carter, T'Challa/Starlord, Evil Dr. Strange, King Killmonger, Party Thor, Black Widow from the zombie universe - and some version of Gamora?  Apparently they had planned on having 10 episodes, and the Gamora one was cut.

So the scenes of The Watcher recruiting his heroes were kind of fun, as was everyone interacting (albeit briefly) as the team gets ready, but very quickly it turns to an extended action scene.  Where the power of the infinity stones never really makes much sense - doesn't Ultron just need to snap his fingers to make everyone disappear?  And how can Ultron use the Time Stone, but Evil Strange also use his Time Stone?  Whatever - don't think about it too hard, because the writers just want to get to the action.

What I do really like is that every episode which seemed to end on a cliffhanger, was nicely given a wrap-up.  We see Captain Carter return (and seemingly rescue Steve Rogers), T'Challa rescues Peter Quill from Ego, different Black Widow returns to help fight Loki after all the Avengers will killed by Hank Pym, Shuri and Pepper Potts were fighting to remove Killmonger, and of course Ultron doesn't have 6 Infinity Stones any longer.

Fun episode.

celedhring

Enjoying Hawkeye more than expected. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but the leads are likeable and for once, I appreciate that the baddies (so far) are street-level thugs and not intergalactic whatevers. I missed smaller, grounded, Marvel of i.e. the Netflix shows.

Speaking of which [spoiler]it seems they are reintroducing D'Onofrio's Kingpin in this one? At least Kingpin's presence is very heavily hinted at in last week's episode[/spoiler]

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2021, 09:37:41 AM
Enjoying Hawkeye more than expected. It's not reinventing the wheel or anything, but the leads are likeable and for once, I appreciate that the baddies (so far) are street-level thugs and not intergalactic whatevers. I missed smaller, grounded, Marvel of i.e. the Netflix shows.

Speaking of which [spoiler]it seems they are reintroducing D'Onofrio's Kingpin in this one? At least Kingpin's presence is very heavily hinted at in last week's episode[/spoiler]

Marvel already confirmed that Charlie Cox from the Netflix Daredevil show will reprise the role for the Hawkeye show.

celedhring

That would be stellar. Add Ritter and Bernthal to the list and you'd make my day.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Reading the news again it seems that the confirmation was for new MCU productions in general (rumoured to be the new Spiderman films), but not confirmed necessarily to be for the Hawkeye show.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 09:53:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 07, 2021, 09:37:41 AM

Marvel already confirmed that Charlie Cox from the Netflix Daredevil show will reprise the role for the Hawkeye show.

See no evil, hear no evil.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 10:03:20 AM
Reading the news again it seems that the confirmation was for new MCU productions in general (rumoured to be the new Spiderman films), but not confirmed necessarily to be for the Hawkeye show.
We'll see Florence Pugh reprise her role from Black Widow in Hawkeye, I doubt there's room for more MCU characters.

And Hawkeye is great, so far. :)

I couldn't get into What-if.  Tried the first two episodes, I abandoned midway through the 2nd.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on December 08, 2021, 09:54:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2021, 10:03:20 AM
We'll see Florence Pugh reprise her role from Black Widow in Hawkeye, I doubt there's room for more MCU characters.

And Hawkeye is great, so far. :)

I couldn't get into What-if.  Tried the first two episodes, I abandoned midway through the 2nd.

Watch the last 2. If only to understand where the MCU is going.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.