Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Yes. Its pointless semi-fun stuff. Not must watch at all.
Its sad they're not even dealing with logical what ifs of plots working out differently. Instead its just "Lets mash up this character and this character. Fun!"
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I disagree that it is fluff. Its the all important introduction to the multiverse for the MCU.

I expect all of it will be important after the new Spider Man and Dr Strange movies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2021, 03:11:50 AM
Yes. Its pointless semi-fun stuff. Not must watch at all.
Its sad they're not even dealing with logical what ifs of plots working out differently. Instead its just "Lets mash up this character and this character. Fun!"

But you know - my kids commented on this after episode 2: 'well it's just if one character became another character'.

Episode 3 was not that at all.

We'll see if it becomes important to the overall MCU or not.  But it's fun.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2021, 12:09:47 AM
It ain't canon, so it's not important in the overall MCU.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 28, 2021, 09:02:06 AM

What do you mean "it ain't canon"?

The multiverse is now very much canon in the MCU, thanks to the Loki show.  It sure looks like the new Spiderman movie is going to have alternate versions of characters - the trailer shows us Doc Oc from the Tobey Maguire Spider Man movies.

It wouldn't shock me to see, lets think, Captain Carter make a brief appearance in some live action MCU show or movie at some point.

celedhring

I've read rumors that Captain Carter will be in Universe of Madness. But it might just be Internet baloney.

Grey Fox

All Disney+ shows are MCU canon.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2021, 12:08:00 PM

What do you mean "it ain't canon"?

The multiverse is now very much canon in the MCU, thanks to the Loki show.  It sure looks like the new Spiderman movie is going to have alternate versions of characters - the trailer shows us Doc Oc from the Tobey Maguire Spider Man movies.

It wouldn't shock me to see, lets think, Captain Carter make a brief appearance in some live action MCU show or movie at some point.

I stand corrected.  I had previously read it wasn't cannon, but it seems it is indeed part of the MCU.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

There's canon. Then there's canon that matters.
A story about some alcoholic asteroid miner and his cute robot side kick staying out of trouble in a safe law abiding part of the star wars universe could be Canon.
But it doesn't matter. It doesn't impact the main films at all.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 29, 2021, 05:05:06 PM
A story about some alcoholic asteroid miner and his cute robot side kick staying out of trouble in a safe law abiding part of the star wars universe could be Canon.
yeah. but so far Marvel has interconnected everything that is MCU.

Eddie Teach

Not true. A butterfly flapping its wings on Naboo resulted in the destruction of Alderaan.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Yeah. This episode was a bit better in theory. Did some interesting things like the killer twist-would have been nice to switch perspectives and tell the story of the true what if once that was revealed.
Something with the execution left me a bit cold though.
And I am increasingly coming back to my old anti shared universe thinking, mostly relevant to dc but increasingly so with marvel too as it bloats: captain marvel is a problem. She just doesn't fit.
This eternals coming up... I know little of them but it has me somewhat worried. When they inevitably try to crowbar the xmen in too-that just doesn't work.
Hopefully they can use the multiverse well to properly handle this.

Quote from: viper37 on August 29, 2021, 05:52:38 PM
yeah. but so far Marvel has interconnected everything that is MCU.

So far. Ish. Some films more than others.
Most of what if I can't see being brought up again and even those bits that do when mainline films do the multiverse-I don't see what if mattering for that.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

So Episode 4 of What If...?

So in the first three episodes things wind up being kind of different, but still wind up in the same place.  Peggy Carter takes over from Steve Rogers, T'Challa takes over from Peter Quill.  Even when all the Avengers are murdered it hints that a new team of heroes will arise.

Not this time.  Now we get to see Dr Strange annihilate the universe.  That was pretty dark.  I liked it.

Interesting that The Watcher actually interacted in this one.  Curious if that means he will take any kind of role in other episodes, or if that was just a one-off.

Anyone going to go see Shang Chi this weekend?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.