Marvel Cinematic Universe - The Marvels [Spoilers]

Started by garbon, January 30, 2021, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
Oh - also coming is the next Marvel TV series - "What if..."  Probably shortly after Loki is done.  Disney+ has done a good job of always having new content to justify your monthly subscription.

It's animated this time, but voiced by all the original Marvel actors.  Apparently 10 episodes, with season 2 already confirmed.

From the trailer we can see Tony Stark at the very start of Ironman 1 - being rescued by Kilmonger.  We can see T'Challa as Star-Lord, Peggy Carter as Captain America, and.... Howard the Duck?

I imagine this will just be fluff, but could be enjoyable fluff.

Oh it won't be fluff. Phase 4 is multi-verse shenanigans.

Rumor is that Steve Rogers is Ironman in the verse that Killmonger saves TS.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

The What-If comics were inconsequential fluff. I expect the show to be the same.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 09, 2021, 01:35:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
Oh - also coming is the next Marvel TV series - "What if..."  Probably shortly after Loki is done.  Disney+ has done a good job of always having new content to justify your monthly subscription.

It's animated this time, but voiced by all the original Marvel actors.  Apparently 10 episodes, with season 2 already confirmed.

From the trailer we can see Tony Stark at the very start of Ironman 1 - being rescued by Kilmonger.  We can see T'Challa as Star-Lord, Peggy Carter as Captain America, and.... Howard the Duck?

I imagine this will just be fluff, but could be enjoyable fluff.

Oh it won't be fluff. Phase 4 is multi-verse shenanigans.

Rumor is that Steve Rogers is Ironman in the verse that Killmonger saves TS.

Fluff in that there's no impact on the overall MCU, no character development.  But that's fine - not everything has to be Endgame.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I understood it that way.

I expect changes in the MCU that will coalesce in the next Doctor Strange movie.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

What I want to know is... will Loki finally fuck himself?  :shifty:

Josquius

Wandavision was best.
Loki is still great.
Falcon was not good.

And ja. If she's a female version of him... Doesn't that make her genetically his sister? Squickier than self fucking.

I'm not sure on the way they're introducing multiverse stuff. The fake multiverse with the last spiderman feels a misstep. Was it meant to be an attempt at misdirection?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2021, 01:03:21 PM
So to my surprise I've become a MCU fan, but I've never read any of the comics (to the very minor extent I read comics as a kid / young adult, I was a DC guy).

Probably to your benefit. I'm kind of glad that comics were too expensive for me as a child as by in large, they aren't very good. :(

Of course, I was raised on all the very camp Marval cartoons. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I've come around from expecting Kang the Conqueror to thinking it'll just be another Loki.  Its Loki's all the way down.
PDH!

Josquius

The multiverse stuff was inevitable eventually. Though I do get the feeling they didn't properly prepare in advance.
Opening the multiverse allows them to account for big stars leaving without constantly having to scrape the bottom of the hero barrel or whittling down lesser versions of heroes.
It allows them in 20 years to have a totally fresh Tony stark.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Loki's finale was very, very good. The best of the Marvel TV shows thus far. It made me retroactively give zero fucks about whatever happened in FAWS and WV. Give me more weirdness.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Yep, loved it.  Absolutely loved every bit of it.

Barrister

I have to admit I was NOT expecting the finale to be roughly 90% exposition and talking.  I predict my kids will hate it.

But precisely because it was not what I expected I kind of like it.  Definitely be watching for Season 2.

Solmyr

Took me a bit to recognize Jonathan Majors from last year's Lovecraft Country (immediately thought he looks familiar, just took a moment to place him). He was really good here too. And I guess he'll be playing every movie's villain from now on. :D

Darth Wagtaros

Yays for Kang the Conqueror! I was afraid it'd just be another Loki.
PDH!

Barrister

I'm curious how a Loki Season 2 is going to work.

The first two series, WV and FatWS, told self-contained stories.  Kind of like a movie but longer.  That meshes very well with the MCU being a whole series of movies.

But Loki set up the big baddie as Kang (as I understand it).  Kang has already been announced as the villain of Dr Strange 2.

So I guess you'll be required to watch Dr Strange 2 before seeing the next season of Loki?  Funny way to run a tv series.