From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on July 31, 2009, 01:24:20 PM
Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 01:18:37 PM
Gates might have made a very bad decision initially, and exacerbated it a bit later, but he's a smart enough man to know when he needs to give... either that or had enough friends/advisors who were smart enough to know that.
Yeah, Gates' statement was quite good, classy. Whether it was him or not, still he sanctioned it so gets good credit for it.

He gets a C, at best.

Probably the best statement he could possibly make that doesn't include an apology.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I've been trying to tell you guys that the "word on the street" was always that Gates was cool.  He obviously overreacted on the day of, and then I guess was possessed by Al Sharpton's ghost for the following couple of days.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 01:25:28 PM
Probably the best statement he could possibly make that doesn't include an apology.
Like I said, they're saving that for Oprah.

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 01:23:53 PM
Not a bad statement, but an apology for acting like a grade-A asshole and accusing someone of racism on no grounds at all seemed to be missing from it.
He did stand to look quite badly from this. He wasn't looking a winner from things as the incident details played out. He had initially gone so far, perhaps "stupidly",   ;)   that it was perhaps becoming difficult for him to back off. This statement does help him, I'd think.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 01:22:33 PM
Even if McCain didn't die before his 1/2 terms, he'd be setting her up for a powerful shot at the Presidency becoming a PowerPoint consultant or a supporter of gay marriage (like VPs before her), if she managed to complete at least one VP term without looking retarded.

:P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 01:25:28 PM

Why should he?  His claims of racism may be true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on July 31, 2009, 01:23:53 PM
Not a bad statement, but an apology for acting like a grade-A asshole and accusing someone of racism on no grounds at all seemed to be missing from it.

He may have done all those things, but he did them on his front porch, for which an arrest was a bit over the top and unnecessary. I don't think he really needs to apologize to the people who arrested him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Kleves

Quote from: Gates
And thank God that we have a President who can rise above the fray, bridge age-old differences and transform events such as this into a moment in the evolution of our society's attitudes about race and difference. President Obama is a man who understands tolerance and forgiveness, and our country is blessed to have such a leader.
:rolleyes:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Kleves on July 31, 2009, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Gates
And thank God that we have a President who can rise above the fray, bridge age-old differences and transform events such as this into a moment in the evolution of our society's attitudes about race and difference. President Obama is a man who understands tolerance and forgiveness, and our country is blessed to have such a leader.
:rolleyes:

People were right to fear that Obama would try to steer us into a pseudo-post racial moment. :weep:

Martinus

I wish Dr Gates was more like Berkut, i.e. always calm, never getting angry, and always apologizing for harsh words. :(

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on July 31, 2009, 01:35:31 PM
I wish Dr Gates was more like Berkut, i.e. always calm, never getting angry, and always apologizing for harsh words. :(
:lmfao:

Berkut

There is nothing wrong with harsh words, as long as they are right.

And I am perfectly capable of apologizing when I screw up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Oh Snap!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2009, 01:20:00 PM
I'm 99% sure that someone in the Whitehouse wrote that statement (and a similar one for Crowley) well before either met the President.

I am almost equally sure that it didn't because the speech contains some noticeable Gatesisms that a WH staffer would not have written.  It may be that someone for the WH vetted it or suggested some language though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 01:25:32 PM
I've been trying to tell you guys that the "word on the street" was always that Gates was cool.

it's been kind of sad to see some here try to equate him with the likes of Sharpton or Jeremiah Wright given that his entire life he has been a principled voice for moderation and "accomodation" and kwown and respected for his open-mindedness in engaging with others.  I think Crowley was seriously wrong and that his actions were probably impacted by race but its not like I've tried make some ridiculous caricature of him as some Bull Conner crossed with Mark Fuhrman.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson