From the "Black People Arrest Themselves" files

Started by CountDeMoney, July 21, 2009, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

You see?
Racial profiling!

Neil post a damn song, far worst than mine, and nobody says shit.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 10:35:56 PM
You see?
Racial profiling!

Someone (you) called him on it the very next post.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 29, 2009, 10:35:56 PM
You see?
Racial profiling!

The song I posted was a great song, and it was posted to mock you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

QuoteCNN) — A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail — in which he referred to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" — has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a local television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

He was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lost his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members — as well as the Boston Globe — in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Gates, a top African-American scholar, was arrested on July 16 and accused of disorderly conduct after police responded to a report of a possible burglary at his home. The charge was later dropped. The incident sparked a debate about racial profiling and police procedures.

Columnist Yvonne Abraham supported Gates' actions, asking readers, "Would you stand for this kind of treatment, in your own home, by a police officer who by now clearly has no right to be there?"

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleorosin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his lawyer, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that of one. It was a characterization of the actions of that man.""

According to a statement from Boston police, Commissioner Edward Davis took action immediately on learning of Barrett's remarks, stripping the officer of his gun and his badge.

Barrett is now "on administrative leave, pending the outcome of a termination hearing."

CNN has been unable to reach Barrett for comment.

Davis wants Barrett, a two-year member of the Boston police force, fired, a source close to the investigation said. But he will continue to be paid while on leave, and no date has been set for his termination hearing.

P.S. I HATE NIGGERS!!!!!1111 Not a racist though! :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

This song's just six words long

Couldn't think of any lyrics
No I never wrote the lyrics
So I'll just sing any old lyrics
That come to mind, child

You really need words
Whole lotta rhyming words
You gotta rhyme so many words, mm-mm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it, to do it right, child

I know that you're probably sore
'Cause I didn't write any more
I just didn't get to complete it
So that's why I gotta repeat it

Oh I make a lotta money
They pay me a ton of money
They're payin' me plenty of money
To sing this song, child

I gotta fill time
Three minutes worth of time
Oh, how will I fill so much time, mm-mm
I'll throw in a solo, a solo, a solo
A solo, a solo here

This song's got nothing to say
But I'm recording it anyway
I know if I put my mind to it
I know I could find a good rhyme here

Oh, you gotta have-a music
You need really catchy music
This song has got plenty of music
But just six words, child

And so I'll sing' em over
And over and over and over
And over and over and over, mm-mm
And over and over and over
And over and over and over again

Six words long, six words long
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2009, 05:18:18 AM
QuoteCNN) — A Boston police officer who sent a mass e-mail — in which he referred to Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. as a "banana-eating jungle monkey" — has apologized, saying he's not a racist.

Officer Justin Barrett told a local television station on Wednesday night that he was sorry for the e-mail.

"I regret that I used such words," Barrett told CNN affiliate WCVB. "I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

He was placed on administrative leave after the e-mail surfaced, and he might lost his job as a result.

Barrett, 36, who is also an active member of the National Guard, sent off a fiery e-mail to some fellow Guard members — as well as the Boston Globe — in which he vented about a July 22 Globe column about Gates' controversial arrest.

Gates, a top African-American scholar, was arrested on July 16 and accused of disorderly conduct after police responded to a report of a possible burglary at his home. The charge was later dropped. The incident sparked a debate about racial profiling and police procedures.

Columnist Yvonne Abraham supported Gates' actions, asking readers, "Would you stand for this kind of treatment, in your own home, by a police officer who by now clearly has no right to be there?"

In Barrett's e-mail, which was posted on a Boston television station's Web site, he declared that if he had "been the officer he verbally assaulted like a banana-eating jungle monkey, I would have sprayed him in the face with OC (oleorosin capsicum, or pepper spray) deserving of his belligerent non-compliance."

Barrett used the "jungle monkey" phrase four times, three times referring to Gates and once referring to Abraham's writing as "jungle monkey gibberish."

He also declared that he was "not a racist but I am prejudice [sic] towards people who are stupid and pretend to stand up and preach for something they say is freedom but it is merely attention because you do not get enough of it in your little fear-dwelling circle of on-the-bandwagon followers."

Barrett's comments were taken out of context, said his lawyer, Peter Marano.

"Officer Barrett did not call professor Gates a jungle monkey or malign him racially," Marano said. "He said his behavior was like that of one. It was a characterization of the actions of that man.""

According to a statement from Boston police, Commissioner Edward Davis took action immediately on learning of Barrett's remarks, stripping the officer of his gun and his badge.

Barrett is now "on administrative leave, pending the outcome of a termination hearing."

CNN has been unable to reach Barrett for comment.

Davis wants Barrett, a two-year member of the Boston police force, fired, a source close to the investigation said. But he will continue to be paid while on leave, and no date has been set for his termination hearing.

P.S. I HATE NIGGERS!!!!!1111 Not a racist though! :)
I love stupid cops.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

They make Skip Gates's job alot easier though. :yes:

DontSayBanana

..."I have so many friends of every type of culture and race you can name. I am not a racist."

:face:
Experience bij!

Habbaku

Some of my best friends are jungle monkeys.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2009, 06:38:01 PM
Got a cite on this?  You apparently have much, much more detail on this case than has been in the papaers I have seen.

The source is the police dispatch transcript, which was printed in full by ABC news.  The transcript makes it clear that the "keep the cars coming" was said in the same transmission as when he asked for the uni police to come.  His exact words right after "keep the cars coming" were "Can you also send the Harvard University police this way?"  That proves that Crowley had already seen Gates' ID when he sent that transmission.

QuoteI'd like a cite on this, also.

See above.  If you are aware of anything to the contrary, feel free to provide the proof.

QuoteThere were no other police present when Crowley asked Gates to step outside.  And why would he need more witnesses?

He wanted witnesses for the arrest of course. 

QuoteSo he DIDN'T specifically ask for backups from the CPD, but DID specifically ask for Harvard police.  Why did he ask for Harvard police, f your theory is true? HUP officers would presumably be more inclined to take Gates's side of things, and their presence would complicate Crowley's nefarious plot.

I can't think of any reason why Harvard Police would be more inclined to Gates' side over a fellow law enforcement officer.  Not knowing the Cambridge police procedures I would have to speculate as to why he asked the uni police to be sent.  It may be SOP that the uni police are to be called for any incident involving a Harvard affiliated person on a Harvard owned property.  It may be something else.  I don't see how it matters.

Quotedon't need to.  A whole host of authorities on the topic (the CPD police) have weighed in and if you want to claim them wrong, you must provide demonstrate that the facts DID NOT provide sufficient cause to arrest under the Mass standards for disorderly conduct.

I already have earlier.  Random CPD officers saying generally things like "I support Crowley" or "he made the right decision to arrest" is a classic fallacious argument from authority because they are not valid authorities for this point.  It isn't surprising that officers support one of their own.  But the subjective opinion of a fellow officer carries zero weight as to what the law provides.  A prosecutor can't fix a legal deficiency through an officer affidavit asserting the arrest was compliant. 

A far more relevant fact is that the Department dropped the charges as that represents an official action of the Department. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

The real question now is which poster will have the endurance to get the last word. I'm betting that Minsky Moment doesn't have what it takes to outlast grumbler and Berkut, although he has been putting up a valiant show so far.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2009, 09:29:17 AM
The real question now is which poster will have the endurance to get the last word. I'm betting that Minsky Moment doesn't have what it takes to outlast grumbler and Berkut, although he has been putting up a valiant show so far.

Oh no, he has certainly outlasted me - this became a matter of faith for him long ago.

I don't know about grumbler though. I think he enjoys this kind of thing a lot more than I do.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Kleves

Nicely done, CNN.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

Another question is: if at the Beer Summit, both parties admit they were wrong, will all assembled here accept that and will debate end, or will it continue and perhaps move to a more theoretical plane of existence? :contract: