Purple Monkey Dishwasher (was 2024 Election joke thread)

Started by Barrister, January 20, 2021, 01:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2021, 02:09:00 PM
There is a very real possibility that Kamala will be the sitting president. Would the Democrats pick someone else in that situation?
Probably not... it's very rare for a sitting Prezidizzle to be primaried.

It's not that rare.

Reagen challenged Ford in '76.

Kennedy challenged Carter in 80.

Buchanen challenged Bush in '92.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2021, 02:17:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2021, 02:16:47 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2021, 02:13:00 PM
So, are we taking for granted Biden won't run for reelection? I believe the dems will try to set up a Harris coronation if that's indeed the case.

Biden never committed himself either way.  But he will be 82 at this time in 4 years.  But I suspect if he feels up for it in 2023 he might consider it.

Oh? I thought he had.

Best I can find:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

He's privately suggested he'll only serve one term, but has never said so publicly.  He doesn't want to instantly be a lame-duck President.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2021, 02:20:31 PM
It's not that rare.

By 'primaried' I meant actually lose the nomination via the primary.  There are always at least fringe challengers.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

I think there was some presidents who were sort of primaried, in that they knew they had a bad hand and folded on the flop.  I think both Truman and Johnson bowed out early because they faced a challenging primary.

mongers

I'll nomnate Lady Gaga for the democratic ticket, because the White House seriously needs more wafty , wide, colourful skirts.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2021, 02:35:30 PM
It's not that rare.

By 'primaried' I meant actually lose the nomination via the primary.  There are always at least fringe challengers.

Then yes, you are correct in this.

Closest would be Johnson in '68 - who actually competed and narrowly won the New Hampshire Primary before dropping out after being challenged by both Eugene McCarthy and RFK.

Valmy

If he had but known his ultimate competition would have been McCarthy he might have stuck it out. I bet he could have beaten Nixon.

Ah well. Stupid Vietnam ruined everything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Mike Pompeo in Iowa and "C-Span, the public affairs television network, dispatched its 'Road to the White House 2024' team for the first time to cover the event, marking the earliest start to its coverage of a presidential election race since 2008."

Good God :blink: :bleeding:

Is America ever not in a campaign? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

It could well be said that in the modern media environment, there is no such thing as a democracy that is not a some level of election campaigning all of the time.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2021, 02:09:00 PM
There is a very real possibility that Kamala will be the sitting president. Would the Democrats pick someone else in that situation?
Probably not... it's very rare for a sitting Prezidizzle to be primaried.

It's not that rare.

Is it worth mentioning that 92 was 29 years ago? And for those mentioning LBJ it was 53?

Basically, the youngest voters who participated in the Buchanan / Bush primary would be ~50 now, and the LBJ primary about 74 (I think most states had 21 as the voting age back then).

Not really sure the point here except to note that we are getting old.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

I am happy so long as the nominees come from the Bush, Trump, Clinton, Biden and Obama families. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2021, 07:50:50 PM
I am happy so long as the nominees come from the Bush, Trump, Clinton, Biden and Obama families. 

Well there is basically zero chance we are going to see any more Clintons, Obamas, Bidens, or Bushes be nominees any time soon. So thanks for that Mono :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

I'm sure there is a family with many special scions missing from this list. :unsure:

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2021, 09:29:36 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 29, 2021, 07:50:50 PM

Well there is basically zero chance we are going to see any more Clintons, Obamas, Bidens, or Bushes be nominees any time soon. So thanks for that Mono :P

Joe Biden said he will seek re-election in 2024?

Admiral Yi

The dynasty thing is stupid enough by itself, so why only the last five?