150 years ago: German Empire proclaimed

Started by Syt, January 18, 2021, 07:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Would like to just note my opposition to the way "UKIP of sauces" has slid into the "most British" :P :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2021, 04:13:41 PM
Well if I was a white Canadian I would be hesitant to go "soy sauce? Totally ours. Canadian all the way" so I kind of get where BB is coming from here :lol:

But hey if it was made in Canada it could be Canadian Soy Sauce sure.

A Canadian soy sauce?  Sure.  I don't think I have any in my house at the moment, but I've certainly bought that brand before.  It's popular.

But the most "Canadian sauce"?  When it's a soy sauce called "China Lilly"?  Yeah, you could almost see that as "cultural appropriation" although I wasn't thinking that way.  Rather that a Canadian sauce ought to be more uniquely Canadian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Canada should have "Canada Sauce" which is like ketchup, but with less flavor lest it angers anyone.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Who's the most famous living Canadian saucier? Maybe they can decide?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2021, 05:27:36 PM
Canada should have "Canada Sauce" which is like ketchup, but with less flavor lest it angers anyone.

And maple syrup.

crazy canuck

Well if I was a white Canadian I would be hesitant to go "soy sauce? Totally ours. Canadian all the way" so I kind of get where BB is coming from here :lol:

Yeah, that is the point isn't it.  Rejecting out of hand something that is not whatever white Canadian means.

edit: note the term white canadian is problematic at best.  Are you referring to French Canadians who draw their ancestry from France (and even then one needs to be careful about French Canadians from Haiti and elsewhere outside the Metropol); Eastern European immigrants, the Scottish, the English, or what exactly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 05:01:09 PM

A Canadian soy sauce?  Sure.  I don't think I have any in my house at the moment, but I've certainly bought that brand before.  It's popular.

But the most "Canadian sauce"?  When it's a soy sauce called "China Lilly"?  Yeah, you could almost see that as "cultural appropriation" although I wasn't thinking that way.  Rather that a Canadian sauce ought to be more uniquely Canadian.

I can see why Take Back Canada worked.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2021, 05:46:15 PM

Yeah, that is the point isn't it.  Rejecting out of hand something that is not whatever white Canadian means.

Is it though? I thought we were supposed to avoid appropriating other cultures? :hmm:

Quotenote the term white canadian is problematic at best.  Are you referring to French Canadians who draw their ancestry from France (and even then one needs to be careful about French Canadians from Haiti and elsewhere outside the Metropol); Eastern European immigrants, the Scottish, the English, or what exactly.

Fuck if I know :lol:

It is all completely arbitrary bullshit. But it is really important socially and culturally.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2021, 05:50:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2021, 05:46:15 PM

Is it though? I thought we were supposed to avoid appropriating other cultures? :hmm:

Quotenote the term white canadian is problematic at best.  Are you referring to French Canadians who draw their ancestry from France (and even then one needs to be careful about French Canadians from Haiti and elsewhere outside the Metropol); Eastern European immigrants, the Scottish, the English, or what exactly.

Fuck if I know :lol:

It is all completely arbitrary bullshit. But it is really important socially and culturally.

How is this appropriating culture?  Are you suggesting, like BB, that there is a mythical white culture within Canada?  French Culture.  Sure.  Many First Nations culture.  Yep.  South Asian Culture.  Yep, I grew up next to that.  Asian culture.  Don't have to go to far in Vancouver to see that.  White Culture.  No idea what that is in the Canadian context.

Eddie Teach

"Canadian" culture, to those minorities who feel separate from it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2021, 04:54:00 PM
What's the Spanishest sauce, Larchie? Salsa Brava? (although that thing doesn't even have an established recipe)

Alioli?  :hmm:

Although there's a "Spanish sauce" in French cuisine that is one of the cornerstones of traditional French cooking and one of the mother sauces for a number of others. Maybe we can try to sneak that in and claim it as our own.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2021, 06:42:34 PM
"Canadian" culture, to those minorities who feel separate from it.

Well that would mean that all cultures within Canada other than the one you are thinking about is Canadian culture.

Eddie Teach

There is one dominant culture. Most people would call it Canadian or Anglo-Canadian(or American, let's be honest  :P). Some minorities who embrace a racially based counter-culture might refer to it as white culture.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2021, 07:02:30 PM
There is one dominant culture. Most people would call it Canadian or Anglo-Canadian(or American, let's be honest  :P). Some minorities who embrace a racially based counter-culture might refer to it as white culture.

In the US, sure.  Have you been to Vancouver?

Grey Fox

Canadian white culture is not me or Viper. The white in Speak White is not french...
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.