150 years ago: German Empire proclaimed

Started by Syt, January 18, 2021, 07:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I see that name and just skip the guardian article. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2021, 12:09:11 PM
QuoteArt history tends to get it all wrong, exaggerating the glamour of French art

Yet he uses Renoir and Cézanne to justify his Wagner boner  :lol:

Anyway the Brits seem like they praise everything German endlessly, wishing their country was more like Germany in most respects, while shitting on the French so I don't know if I agree that there is this big lack of appreciation for Germans and unjustified love of all thing French going on in the English speaking world :P

But granted he was speaking very narrowly about modern art, which is a pretty insular group so maybe he is on to something I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2021, 02:26:12 PM
Anyway the Brits seem like they praise everything German endlessly, wishing their country was more like Germany in most respects, while shitting on the French so I don't know if I agree that there is this big lack of appreciation for Germans and unjustified love of all thing French going on in the English speaking world :P
English people wish their country could be either Germany (centrist dads/liberals) or Australia (right-wingers/cold people) :lol:

And in fairness France has a fairly big inferiority complex re Germany at the minute. It's another thing France and England can compete about.

QuoteBut granted he was speaking very narrowly about modern art, which is a pretty insular group so maybe he is on to something I don't know.
True - plus English people of a certain class love anything French.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2021, 01:50:51 PMHe once called HP sauce which is a favourite of mine the "UKIP of condiments" and I've never quite forgiven him <_< :(

Well, it's something quintessentially British that nobody else in the world appreciates, so he might have a point.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 19, 2021, 03:10:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2021, 01:50:51 PMHe once called HP sauce which is a favourite of mine the "UKIP of condiments" and I've never quite forgiven him <_< :(

Well, it's something quintessentially British that nobody else in the world appreciates, so he might have a point.  :P
:lol: Take that back :contract:

His bigger point was that it's strongly flavoured, almost overpowering, made from the products of empire (molasses, dates, tamarind and other spices) and vaguely nostalgic (most associated with Harold Wilson hosting trade union leaders for beer and buttie meetings at 10 Downing Street) - thus UKIP. He published this piece about a decade ago and I'm still angry/upset about it :blush:

Edit: Also the clear UKIP condiment is English mustard.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 19, 2021, 03:19:58 PM
What about Worcestershire sauce?
No :ultra:

Again I like it :blush: A similar argument could be made - it's similarly imperial often including molasses, soy sauce, tamarind and other spices plus the obvious anchovies - but I'd be willing to bet Jonathan Jones has a bottle of Worcestershire sauce in his kitchen :contract:

Edit:
QuoteI looked up HP sauce and it's rather ironic to see it's now produced in the Netherlands.
I mean it wouldn't be an iconic British product if it wasn't manufactured overseas :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I was trying to think of the most Canadian of (prepared) sauces and was going to nominate honey dill sauce, but I found out it's specific only to Manitoba. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 03:26:21 PM
I was trying to think of the most Canadian of (prepared) sauces and was going to nominate honey dill sauce, but I found out it's specific only to Manitoba. :o

Economist had an article about China Lily soy sauce big fav in BC, especially with indigenee.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2021, 03:28:15 PM

Economist had an article about China Lily soy sauce big fav in BC, especially with indigenee.

It's a popular brand of soy sauce (don't think it's particular to BC first nations), but given it's asian origins I'd hardly think of it as "Canadian" - in particular since it has the words "China" in it's title.

Just like Canadians really embraced French's Ketchup a few years ago after Heinz stopped using Canadian tomatoes in its ketchup, but it's still an american company making an american-style sauce.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 03:33:58 PM
It's a popular brand of soy sauce (don't think it's particular to BC first nations), but given it's asian origins I'd hardly think of it as "Canadian" - in particular since it has the words "China" in it's title.

Just like Canadians really embraced French's Ketchup a few years ago after Heinz stopped using Canadian tomatoes in its ketchup, but it's still an american company making an american-style sauce.

Made by immigrants to Canada with sugar, which soy sauce does not have.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2021, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2021, 03:28:15 PM

Given the Asian origins, not Canadian - WTF

Asians were here before my family or yours immigrated.  First Nations were here, well first.

It is a big hit with First Nations folks.  The working theory is that it became a hit on the BC coast when chinese and indigenous workers worked side by side in the canneries.

Valmy

Well if I was a white Canadian I would be hesitant to go "soy sauce? Totally ours. Canadian all the way" so I kind of get where BB is coming from here :lol:

But hey if it was made in Canada it could be Canadian Soy Sauce sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

What's the Spanishest sauce, Larchie? Salsa Brava? (although that thing doesn't even have an established recipe)