And we're back!

Main Menu

Operation Desert Storm - 30 Years On

Started by mongers, January 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2021, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM
Today, 17th January is the 30th anniversary of the start of operations to liberate Kuwait from Saddam's Iraq.

More than half a lifetime ago for most of us here!

Opinions anyone, as I've not found a good article about it yet, I guess Covid-19 and Trump overshadows most things.

30 years and two days ago, I was screaming and singing to Iron Maiden songs in the old Coliseum of Quebec city while the first bombs were dropped on Iraq.  Good times.
I was still in high school, I wanted to join the military college, against my parent's and family's wishes, so that I could help my country in such future conflicts like these.  Fate decided otherwise.

How is Fate these days btw? You keep in touch?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

My mom would have been 54. My age now :huh: She seemed so old.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2021, 04:35:50 AM
I remember the impression of a sports event more than a war, with "everyone" rooting for the same team.

Especially when Ice Cube dispersed the Iraqi army with an exploding football. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2021, 05:50:44 PM
My mom would have been 54. My age now :huh: She seemed so old.

She was.

I remember a TV bring brought into the caf at the law school so we could watch CNN in between classes.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2021, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2021, 04:09:18 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM
Today, 17th January is the 30th anniversary of the start of operations to liberate Kuwait from Saddam's Iraq.

More than half a lifetime ago for most of us here!

Opinions anyone, as I've not found a good article about it yet, I guess Covid-19 and Trump overshadows most things.

30 years and two days ago, I was screaming and singing to Iron Maiden songs in the old Coliseum of Quebec city while the first bombs were dropped on Iraq.  Good times.
I was still in high school, I wanted to join the military college, against my parent's and family's wishes, so that I could help my country in such future conflicts like these.  Fate decided otherwise.

How is Fate these days btw? You keep in touch?
I have no contact with Fate.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

This is one of my first historical memories.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 08, 2021, 08:59:18 PM
This is one of my first historical memories.

One of my first is Whiskey On The Rocks. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.