News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Operation Desert Storm - 30 Years On

Started by mongers, January 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Today, 17th January is the 30th anniversary of the start of operations to liberate Kuwait from Saddam's Iraq.

More than half a lifetime ago for most of us here!

Opinions anyone, as I've not found a good article about it yet, I guess Covid-19 and Trump overshadows most things.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

I remember my dad waking me up saying the war started, and thinking that was the most exciting thing ever  :Embarrass:
Someone in my class brought a portable radio and we all huddled around it during breaks. And ungodly amounts of time spent watching CNN, which itself was a novelty.

It all seems a bit odd now. As does the war itself, it feels like it was the last traditional war between nations and belongs to a different era.

Syt

My school staged an anti-war protest; I refused to participate. In hindsight, it turned out that the war wasn't quite as neat and clean as advertised on TV, though I still think it was right to intervene.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I remember the impression of a sports event more than a war, with "everyone" rooting for the same team.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Portable radios were definitively a thing back then.  :P

Some pundits were calling it the Second Gulf War though, since the first one was the Iran-Irak. Not so anymore in the common parlance after 2003, the third one.

Pedrito

Dear old (not so much, then she was younger than now me) irrational mom came back home with a carful of pasta and, hear hear, dates and pistachios.

Pasta because you can't have too much pasta; pistachios and dates, because they were probably the only food she could associate to a far and exotic desert, and the embargo could hit you hard in your dates needs.

We still laugh about it sometimes.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Duque de Bragança

Dates were quite exotical in Portugal, once. At least up north, with people never having seen them before when my parents brought them once from France, from North Africa or the Near or Middle East, I guess.

Monoriu

I learned a lot from this guy -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSqKx3FG0Lw

I was in high school, and I was really excited about it.  I thought it was super badass to kick the invaders out.

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on January 18, 2021, 05:58:59 AM
Dear old (not so much, then she was younger than now me)

I didn't think of that, damn we're old  :(

Quote from: Pedrito on January 18, 2021, 05:58:59 AM
Pasta because you can't have too much pasta; pistachios and dates, because they were probably the only food she could associate to a far and exotic desert, and the embargo could hit you hard in your dates needs.

:lol:

Grey Fox

I remember see tanks being offloaded somewhere desert like at the 10 O'clock news. It might have been on this day but I was 6 so it's a blurry memory.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

I remember we wheeled the TV into the kitchen so we could watch CNN about what was going on during meals.

And quickly doing the math... dammit my mom was a a couple of years younger then than I am now. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I think the first time I ever read a newspaper article occurred during the war.  I remember watching CNN and I remember all those yellow ribbons.  I was only 10 so my understanding boiled down to Saddam Hussein and the Iraqis were the bad guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on January 18, 2021, 11:09:23 AM
I remember we wheeled the TV into the kitchen so we could watch CNN about what was going on during meals.

And quickly doing the math... dammit my mom was a a couple of years younger then than I am now. :(

Dad was 38 - Golden!
Mom was 33 - Shit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2021, 09:08:36 PM
Today, 17th January is the 30th anniversary of the start of operations to liberate Kuwait from Saddam's Iraq.

More than half a lifetime ago for most of us here!

Opinions anyone, as I've not found a good article about it yet, I guess Covid-19 and Trump overshadows most things.

30 years and two days ago, I was screaming and singing to Iron Maiden songs in the old Coliseum of Quebec city while the first bombs were dropped on Iraq.  Good times.
I was still in high school, I wanted to join the military college, against my parent's and family's wishes, so that I could help my country in such future conflicts like these.  Fate decided otherwise.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2021, 01:55:47 AM
My school staged an anti-war protest; I refused to participate.
ah. yes, I remember now.  Some students staged a protest that went nowhere.

I refused to participate (well, they didn't bother asking me anyway :P ), but in hindsight, I should have done it, if only for the no-bra semi-hot chicks in there.  Oh well.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.