Betting Pool on Senate Votes to Convict

Started by Admiral Yi, January 13, 2021, 09:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Caliga on January 26, 2021, 10:50:59 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 26, 2021, 10:26:06 PM
Don Jr doesn't have his father's talent for demagoguery.
Be honest... would you really have predicted Trump could possibly win the presidency at the start of the 2016 cycle?  IIRC we were all laughing at him, myself included.

" nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Be honest... would you really have predicted Trump could possibly win the presidency at the start of the 2016 cycle?  IIRC we were all laughing at him, myself included.

I wouldn't have, no. That said, all the Trumps have had much scrutiny over the last four years. Jr has done ok as a hype man but done nothing to establish himself as a leader. Eric is a walking joke and Ivanka is more interested in excusing her father to the cultural elites than embracing his base. If Donald can't run himself, this hypothetical 3rd party run goes from Perot '92 to Nader.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

No. As Yi said he was a legitimate threat right from the beginning. And it was a big deal at the time that he finished second in Iowa, which I hoped would take some of the shine off of him as this "winner" but nope.

He had spent the previous four years becoming a reactionary super star on twitter. I kept hoping that he had a ceiling of support and thus fail to ultimately capture the Republican nomination. It was not to be though.

Spicey kept insisting his campaign was going to implode any day now though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

57 is surprising to me. I would not have expected more than 55 unless Mitch made a strong push for conviction.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So Burr of NC flipped after voting to call off the trial.  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 15, 2021, 07:56:42 PM
57 is surprising to me. I would not have expected more than 55 unless Mitch made a strong push for conviction.

I didn't watch it all but apparently there was some distressing video evidence (eg the cop being slowly crushed in a doorway), maybe that provoked a crisis of conscience in a couple of senators?

The Larch

Apparently one of the Republican congressmen that voted in favour of impeachment got disowned from part of his family because of it. That doesn't really sound like a healthy political environment.

QuoteAs the Republican Party censures, condemns and seeks to purge leaders who aren't in lock step with Donald J. Trump, Adam Kinzinger, the six-term Illinois congressman, stands as enemy No. 1 — unwelcome not just in his party but also in his own family, some of whom recently disowned him.

Two days after Mr. Kinzinger called for removing Mr. Trump from office following the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, 11 members of his family sent him a handwritten two-page letter, saying he was in cahoots with "the devil's army" for making a public break with the president.

"Oh my, what a disappointment you are to us and to God!" they wrote. "You have embarrassed the Kinzinger family name!"

The author of the letter was Karen Otto, Mr. Kinzinger's cousin, who paid $7 to send it by certified mail to Mr. Kinzinger's father — to make sure the congressman would see it, which he did. She also sent copies to Republicans across Illinois, including other members of the state's congressional delegation.

"I wanted Adam to be shunned," she said in an interview.

A 42-year-old Air National Guard pilot who represents a crescent-shaped district along the Chicago's suburbs, Mr. Kinzinger is at the forefront of the effort to navigate post-Trump politics. He is betting his political career, professional relationships and kinship with a wing of his sprawling family that his party's future lies in disavowing Mr. Trump and the conspiracy theories the former president stoked.

The Brain

Who the fuck cares about the political views of a cousin? Oh right, nutjobs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThe author of the letter was Karen Otto, Mr. Kinzinger's cousin, who paid $7 to send it by certified mail to Mr. Kinzinger's father — to make sure the congressman would see it, which he did.

Is the telephone system down in Illinois?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 16, 2021, 08:26:58 AM
Is the telephone system down in Illinois?
She's very conservative and apparently not a fan of new technologies.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on February 16, 2021, 07:13:36 AM
Who the fuck cares about the political views of a cousin? Oh right, nutjobs.

In the Ozarks a disagreement between cousins can destroy a perfectly good marriage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2021, 06:46:21 AM
Apparently one of the Republican congressmen that voted in favour of impeachment got disowned from part of his family because of it. That doesn't really sound like a healthy political environment.

OMG! Cancel Culture!!!11

Very culty...I mean literally so I guess as she is saying he betrayed God and shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."