Evangelical Christianity and politics - the elephant in the room

Started by crazy canuck, January 11, 2021, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2021, 01:33:57 PM
If he's in his 20s he does a great job hiding it.

He does look like someone trying very hard to be taken seriously

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2021, 01:37:07 PM
Stephen Miller is only 35, too.
So am I and I look so much better!

It is thrilling to know that evil is ageing :)

QuoteHe does look like someone trying very hard to be taken seriously
A demi-Gorka.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2021, 01:41:15 PM

We had a young intern join us in summer. She joined our lunch break and we talked about what we did before, and I said, "I did 6 years that, 7 years that, and I've been here for over 8 years." She was confused because she thought I was significantly younger than my 44 years.  :blush: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2021, 02:44:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2021, 01:41:15 PM

We had a young intern join us in summer. She joined our lunch break and we talked about what we did before, and I said, "I did 6 years that, 7 years that, and I've been here for over 8 years." She was confused because she thought I was significantly younger than my 44 years.  :blush: :lol:

She did a very good job of playing to your vanity  :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 25, 2021, 03:08:24 PM
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-usa/2018/12/catholic-herald-introduces-u-s-to-magazines-beauty-brains-faith/

QuoteIn 2015, when he was 22, he moved back to the United States.

QuoteBaptized a Presbyterian and raised in the Episcopal Church, he became a Catholic in 2016.

There you have his trajectory, S.

The Minsky Moment

I have nothing against youth; the likes of the National Review, New Republic, and the Weekly Standard often drew (and draw) on the talents of writers in their 20s. But for perspective this is a kid not long out of college put in charge of a pretty fringey publication.  There are many Catholic Trump supporters, but I doubt their thinking is motivated by neo-Salazarist political theory or a burning desire to eliminate voting by women.

What we have here is a professional troll using the tired move of insisting on his sincerity while ratcheting up the provocation for yuks and a higher profile.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2021, 03:13:09 PM
There you have his trajectory, S.

From toe in the Catholic water to Catholic Lite to more Catholic than the Pope (and they really mean it this time)
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 25, 2021, 03:14:24 PM
I have nothing against youth; the likes of the National Review, New Republic, and the Weekly Standard often drew (and draw) on the talents of writers in their 20s. But for perspective this is a kid not long out of college put in charge of a pretty fringey publication.  [...]

What we have here is a professional troll using the tired move of insisting on his sincerity while ratcheting up the provocation for yuks and a higher profile.
Sure but in this case and many others what professional trolls do is move a fringe idea (pushed by a Harvard law professor, say, in the Atlantic) to the attention of others. I think the last few years should have shown us is professional trolls and edgelords matter - the gatekeeping of National Review (to the extent it ever existed) has become pretty permeable.

I've seen lots of articles about national conservatism and integralism in the last few years - as I say I think it's trying to build a framework around Trump/an explanation for Trump on the right. Now it may not matter but it's worth noting and is interesting.

QuoteThere are many Catholic Trump supporters, but I doubt their thinking is motivated by neo-Salazarist political theory or a burning desire to eliminate voting by women.
That's not at all why we should pay attention - or why the Catholic bit matters :P

QuoteThere you have his trajectory, S.
Not uncommon. One prominent blogger on the Catholic right in the US was evangelical, then Anglican, then Catholic. Rod Dreher was Methodist, then Catholic, then Orthodox.

It's often conservatives who feel disappointed in their brand of Protestantism, or frustrated at the lack of intellectual fibre (especially v Benedict - who they all love), or seduced by the robes etc. So they move to something "certain" and "unmoving" and a large part of their frustration with Francis is that they feel it's suddenly started moving (and it's uglier - less Latin, fewer fancy robes). But what they want it to be certain and unmoving in relation to is not some spiritual value, but their political beliefs within the American context.
Let's bomb Russia!