News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any Book Suggestions for a teenager

Started by Josephus, January 27, 2021, 04:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tyr on January 27, 2021, 05:00:55 PM
Sounds like comic territory. He tried many of those?
I've heard of kids being weened onto reading via steadily more complex comics.

I'm totally not representative but I remember at that age I was very into Forgotten Realms. Pulpy and nothing complex. Drizzt of course is the best.

Surely comic books are not allowed by school for book reports.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HisMajestyBOB

William Sleater has some awesome sci fi books for kids that age. I read them in early middle school and loved them.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2021, 04:16:52 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Thirded.  I can't recall if it was easy to read though. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

James Joyce - Ulysses.

Might as well start with the setting on "hard" to see how you do.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 27, 2021, 07:51:11 PM
Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson.

The Mistborn Trilogy is pretty good and age appropriate too.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2021, 07:11:31 PM

It's rated as suitable for 8th graders.  That's 13 or so, but if the reader isn't up to grade level, maybe not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Admiral Yi

I couldn't make it through Ender's Game.  I thought it was goofy.

Josephus

Quote from: PDH on January 27, 2021, 07:18:43 PM
James Joyce - Ulysses.

Might as well start with the setting on "hard" to see how you do.

:D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Thanks.Great suggestions. I'll pass them along

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Does he like Star Wars? I'd say most if not all of it is appropriate for teenagers, but there are young reader/junior novel lines:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_books

Some are more violent or such than others of course. I would e.g. not recommend the Aftermath Trilogy if that's a concern.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I read several of those David Eddings books at that age.  They had funny dialogue, a teenage protagonists and individually the books were short... of course there was like five of them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2021, 09:04:06 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2021, 07:11:31 PM

It's rated as suitable for 8th graders.  That's 13 or so, but if the reader isn't up to grade level, maybe not.

Well, my son read and enjoyed it in grade 5 so ymmv