News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Any Book Suggestions for a teenager

Started by Josephus, January 27, 2021, 04:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Asking for a friend ... see below

Can you suggest a book to read for my son? He is super difficult 😣 and all my suggestions don't work. He is 13 and unlike me doesn't like to read 😭
The book ideally should be:
1. Teenage male main character
2. Not scary/no character death/ no torture or extra suffering / no sick people etc.
3. Better be funny
4. Easy to read
5. Not too long

Plus he will need to write a book report about it...

What not to suggest...
Hobbit (too long)
Harry Potter (already read)
Neil Geiman
Series of Unfortunate Events

If you have any other ideas I will be grateful
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

My Side of the Mountain
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Oexmelin

Because of the Lupin series, they are republishing the books in English. It's good, quick lighthearted, reversed detective stories. The Hollow Needle has a teenage male protagonist.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Catcher in the Rye?

Artemis Fowl
Ender's Game
Lord of the Flies
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on January 27, 2021, 04:17:00 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2021, 04:16:08 PM
Northern Lights/His Dark Materials :wub:

Yeah, HDM is a laugh riot.  :huh:
Already read Harry Potter - it's the natural progression.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 27, 2021, 04:16:52 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

This!

It was the first full book my older boy read after learning to manage his disability - and it hooked him into a love of reading.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Sounds like comic territory. He tried many of those?
I've heard of kids being weened onto reading via steadily more complex comics.

I'm totally not representative but I remember at that age I was very into Forgotten Realms. Pulpy and nothing complex. Drizzt of course is the best.
██████
██████
██████