Follow Up: Was the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

Started by Syt, January 10, 2021, 02:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

It's much better than I expected
0 (0%)
It's slightly better than I expected
1 (2.1%)
It's as good as I expected
0 (0%)
It's as bad as I expected
6 (12.8%)
It's slightly worse than I expected
10 (21.3%)
It's much worse than I expected
30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Syt

At the end of 2019, I asked the board how they thogutht he Trump presidency was going. The results were not good, for Trump.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,15942.0.html

Only 2 more weeks to go (we hope), and much has happened since October 2019, so I thought it interesting to do a final check in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Clearly much worse than I expected.  I think most people were kind of hoping that Trump's crazy bark was worse than his crazy bite, or that the great responsibility of the office would sober him up.  I don't think that even his greatest critics could foresee just how much of an irredeemable human garbage he really was.

Monoriu

When Obama took office, I thought it was impossible for the US to ever get a president who was worse than George W Bush. 

I was wrong.

So now I predict, it is impossible for the US to get a president who is worse than Trump.  This time, I will be right. 

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

The big disappointment for me is how many Republicans still back him. The lack of respect for law and order by the Republican base is also worse than expected.

Josquius

The sad thing is even with the evidence slapping people in the face of how bad this has been, many still support him.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

About as bad as expected. My fears with Trump were always about him as a person and that it was always ridiculous to expect either a 70-something man to change that, or be managed given that he's someone who's literally never been employed or had to do things he didn't want to do. I don't think anything that's happened has been a surprise even if it is still shocking and extraordinary.

There's been less violence overseas than I expected. I thought he'd be more reckless in using the military.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

About as bad as expected for me. As in, more long term damage to the institutions than actual havoc during his presidency because of his own lack of ability/focus. Although during his last year he's been really close to deliver in the "internal strife" category.

The Brain

Last time I voted slightly worse than expected. Now much worse. I thought a coup was unlikely.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Much worse.

We all knew he'd be incompetent. However, I mistakenly thought he'd be a do-nothing president. I did not know he would actively attack democratic institutions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Like in 2019, it is slightly better than I expected. I expected something just short of the Apocalypse.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 10, 2021, 03:18:22 AM
The big disappointment for me is how many Republicans still back him. The lack of respect for law and order by the Republican base is also worse than expected.

I agree.  Trump has been exactly as bad as I expected.  He pushes and pushes and tries to get away with as much as he can.  Without the Republicans lining up behind him he wouldn't be nearly as dangerous (and in fact would already be out of office).

Duque de Bragança

Bad as expected, if not worse, with the Mons Capitolinus sine anseribus happening as the icing on the cake.

grumbler

Much worse than expected.  I had believed that the Republican party leadership would rein him in, not urge him on.  His antidemocratic instincts were as expected, but those of Mitch McConnell were not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!