Follow Up: Was the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

Started by Syt, January 10, 2021, 02:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the Trump presidency as good/bad as you expected?

It's much better than I expected
0 (0%)
It's slightly better than I expected
1 (2.1%)
It's as good as I expected
0 (0%)
It's as bad as I expected
6 (12.8%)
It's slightly worse than I expected
10 (21.3%)
It's much worse than I expected
30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

saskganesh

Voted only a little worse, just because he didn't start a war that got out of control and consumed us all. :whistle: :pope:
humans were created in their own image

Solmyr

Quote from: saskganesh on January 10, 2021, 09:31:40 PM
Voted only a little worse, just because he didn't start a war that got out of control and consumed us all. :whistle: :pope:

Still got a week for that civil war to start.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

The Brain

Will you guys relax. The Capitol hasn't fallen to Nazis in almost a week.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I thought he might get into a reckless war overseas, didn't expect 400k dead from a plague and an attempted coup
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

What percentage of the dead from Covid in the US can we realistically attribute to Trump?  Without a doubt, his contribution to the government response was disgraceful, but on the other hand, how many countries in our category have done that much better by numbers?  It seems like by the time of the second wave, not a whole lot of Western countries managed to put together a respectable response.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2021, 12:26:43 PM
What percentage of the dead from Covid in the US can we realistically attribute to Trump?  Without a doubt, his contribution to the government response was disgraceful, but on the other hand, how many countries in our category have done that much better by numbers?  It seems like by the time of the second wave, not a whole lot of Western countries managed to put together a respectable response.
I find the fact that Andrew Cuomo is publishing a book on his leadership in this crisis astonishing and I sort of feel that wouldn't be happening if there wasn't someone like Trump to take a lot of the criticism.

Edit: And I suppose it depends on what other countries are meaningful comparisons? The most striking thing about the US, is the first wave never really stopped - so if you have a look with the US-EU comparison:
https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-01..latest&country=USA~EuropeanUnion&region=World&deathsMetric=true&interval=total&perCapita=true&smoothing=0&pickerMetric=total_cases&pickerSort=desc

Both have a first wave - then the EU has a plateau for most of the summer until the second wave; the US doesn't. The death toll keeps rising, less steeply, all through the summer and then there's a second wave (which is, so far, less severe). That model seems to apply with most European countries whether they did well or not in the first wave. The US is an outlier.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Agreed.

The Brain

Yeah. I don't think the impact of his abysmal handling of Covid was nearly as much worse than "average" (what it would have been with a normal president) than the impact of his handling of rule of law, democracy, foreign policy, etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

In 2016 I wrote the following:

Quote from: Savonarola on December 16, 2016, 05:06:58 PM
Personally I think Trump will be an awful president; but I'll admit I was wrong and that he was at least a mediocre president if:

1.)  He isn't impeached.
2.)  No member of his cabinet is charged with a crime.
3.)  The deficit remains under $500,000,000,000 (it's projected level for FY 2017.)
4.)  There isn't a new humanitarian crisis on the scale of Syria anywhere in the world.
5.)  The US doesn't engage in a military intervention that results in a worse crisis than our intervention in Libya did.
6.)  A tariff war does not emerge.

And, while he didn't in fact make all those criteria, today that looks comically naïve.  My mistake was thinking that Trump would try to govern rather than perpetually campaign. 

(Prior to mob attack on the Capitol this week) the thing that really drove home how bizarre Trump's America has become was discovering that Trump is still carrying on a (one-sided) Twitter feud with the late Senator John McCain, and that no major news outlet covered it.  That is now considered unremarkable behavior for the President of the United States.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Jacob

I went back to that thread for a bit. Is derspiess still around?

Maximus

I voted "As bad as expected" then and that's still my answer.