German defense minister to Macron: EU depends on US security guarantee

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 17, 2020, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2020, 12:13:45 PM
I'm really curious what land Americans seem to think should belong to them.  The US is the third biggest country in the world.  We're pretty good on the whole land thing.

Let me guess. Not Mexico for starters. Not anymore, at least.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 14, 2020, 06:24:46 AM
Perhaps the Italians want Dalmatia back.

UK figure is a bit strange, people not reconciled to Irish independence  :hmm: ?

It depends on how you define countries. Maybe some Scots still demand Cumberland back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I'm really curious what land Americans seem to think should belong to them.  The US is the third biggest country in the world.  We're pretty good on the whole land thing.

Maybe some die hard Polk-ists still want to fight for 54 40.

The most surprising part of this poll is that there are Hungarians and Greeks and Bulgarians who don't want their nationalistic claims still. Good on those people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2020, 03:08:22 PM
It depends on how you define countries. Maybe some Scots still demand Cumberland back.
Nah. Borders on Great Britain are relatively settled - have been for about 600 years.

Maybe they want Berwick back for the original Northern Ireland protocol where Berwick was legally part of Scotland (and had Scots law) but administered by England :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 05:13:23 AM
That's Aquitaine or Guyenne, not Aquitane (sic).  :contract:

As for 130 départements.  :lmfao:

PS: otoh, parts of Normandy are still occupied by the UK.  :P

What about Belgium and Luxembourg? France was always trying to grab those back in the day.

I am not sure why the French would still want them but hey...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2020, 03:14:24 PM
What about Belgium and Luxembourg? France was always trying to grab those back in the day.

Of relevance, Talleyrand's proposal in 1830 during the Belgian revolution. Which would have solved a lot of problems, frankly:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2020, 03:14:24 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 05:13:23 AM
That's Aquitaine or Guyenne, not Aquitane (sic).  :contract:

As for 130 départements.  :lmfao:

PS: otoh, parts of Normandy are still occupied by the UK.  :P

Having Wallonia means the no Walloon vote PS no matter what crowd so that does not interest much the French conservatives or RN. Marine Le Pen mentioned it once though it's hard to tell if she was serious.  :P
Monaco should disappear, yes.  :D

Talleyrand's plan would have left French-speaking areas in Prussia so not that great.

The Minsky Moment

54 40 or fight you pinko
All your crazy canucks is belong to us.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Probably Native American land.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 03:18:48 PM
Talleyrand's plan would have left French-speaking areas in Prussia so not that great.

't was bad enough France invaded the region to fight against the Dutch during the revolution. Not intervening and letting the dutch crush the rebellion would have been far better.

As it is Talleyrand's plan fits in perfectly in centuries of attempts by France to occupy those regions, and none of the attempts were positive for the people living there.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 14, 2020, 04:01:52 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 03:18:48 PM

't was bad enough France invaded the region to fight against the Dutch during the revolution. Not intervening and letting the dutch crush the rebellion would have been far better.

As it is Talleyrand's plan fits in perfectly in centuries of attempts by France to occupy those regions, and none of the attempts were positive for the people living there.

Probably better than the Germans attempts to occupy those regions though.

I am curious why supporting those people is worse than letting them be put down by a reactionary king though.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2020, 04:52:23 AM
Edit: Incidentally could get behind UK irredentism for Aquitane :ph34r:

Not just Gascony-Aquitaine!!! Return all the lands stolen by the oath-breaker Phillip Augustus!

[OK, so Richard was dead and John was never a Crusader...but who cares after 800 years? :P]
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

some non inhabited islands off the coast of Maine are still under dispute, IIRC.  Possibly some too around Vancouver and Washington State.

EDIT:
here's the full list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_areas_disputed_by_Canada_and_the_United_States

EDIT 2:
Also, there are water rights dispute around the Rio Grande.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2020, 03:09:12 PM
The most surprising part of this poll is that there are Hungarians and Greeks and Bulgarians who don't want their nationalistic claims still. Good on those people.
I'm sure there are Ukrainians who don't their nationalist claims still, on Eastern Ukraine and Crimea.  Good on those people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2020, 03:13:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2020, 03:08:22 PM
Nah. Borders on Great Britain are relatively settled - have been for about 600 years.

Maybe they want Berwick back for the original Northern Ireland protocol where Berwick was legally part of Scotland (and had Scots law) but administered by England :lol:
aren't there some disputes about northern islands between Denmark and Scotland?  I'm talking of these island/chains way up north (sorry, I'm seriously bad in geography).   Or is it between Scotland and England? 

Danes are always eager to pick a fight for some island or another, so it wouldn't surprise me :P :P