German defense minister to Macron: EU depends on US security guarantee

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 17, 2020, 11:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2020, 04:52:23 AM
Presumably Spain is Gibraltar?

It has to be, no other place really makes sense. Unless it's about the Rosellón/Rosselló/Roussillion, and I guess that Catalan separatists would be the ones most interested on it.  :P

QuoteI like that Italy is more or less evenly balanced on whether it has any territorial claims - and what are they, Albania?! :blink:

I'd put my bets on the Istria peninsula, which had a sizeable Italian minority until the 50s, and to this day still has some towns where Italian speakers are the majority. Dalmatia would maybe follow down the list. More outlandish claims could be the Ticino canton, Nice, Corsica or Malta.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2020, 07:18:59 AM
I'd put my bets on the Istria peninsula, which had a sizeable Italian minority until the 50s, and to this day still has some towns where Italian speakers are the majority. Dalmatia would maybe follow down the list. More outlandish claims could be the Ticino canton, Nice, Corsica or Malta.
Absolutely love it if it's some PCI hold-outs demanding annexaction of the Vatican City :lol:

Whatever happened to Italian Eurocommunism. It's all fascists now :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh
Presumably Spain is Gibraltar?

Quote from: The Larch
It has to be, no other place really makes sense. Unless it's about the Rosellón/Rosselló/Roussillion, and I guess that Catalan separatists would be the ones most interested on it.  :P

QuoteI like that Italy is more or less evenly balanced on whether it has any territorial claims - and what are they, Albania?! :blink:

Quote from: The Larch

Spain still has claims on Portugal, the Ilhas Selvagens mostly though, nowadays.  :P
FYI, between Madeira and the Canary Islands.

Maladict

Not sure where else to put this but this is bonkers polling NATO members on whether their neighbouring countries have territory that really belongs to them:

Looks like Balkanism starts at 40-45%, that's good to know.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 14, 2020, 07:21:47 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2020, 07:18:59 AM
Absolutely love it if it's some PCI hold-outs demanding annexaction of the Vatican City :lol:

Never in my life have I seen anyone claiming the Vatican for Italy, maybe that's only taking place in your imagination.  :P

QuoteWhatever happened to Italian Eurocommunism. It's all fascists now :(

Nah, not really, unless you count the Lega as proper fascists. At the moment the only "proper" post-fascist party in Italy is "Fratelli d'Italia" who fill the historical role that "Alleanza Nazionale" fulfilled in the Berlusconi era, junior party in a broader right wing coallition.

Eurocommunism in a way completely succeeded in Italy by following Berlinguer's thesis and becoming an essential part of its left wing bloc through alliances with other moderate parties, the "Compromesso Storico". When the PCI dissolved in 1991 it split in two, its mainline joining the newly created PDS which, in turn and after successive evolutions ended up becoming the PD, the country's largest left wing party. The splitter branch who refused to do so became the PRC, which to this day is still part of progressively more minoritarian left wing alliances.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2020, 07:57:13 AM
Never in my life have I seen anyone claiming the Vatican for Italy, maybe that's only taking place in your imagination.  :P
:lol:

QuoteNah, not really, unless you count the Lega as proper fascists. At the moment the only "proper" post-fascist party in Italy is "Fratelli d'Italia" who fill the historical role that "Alleanza Nazionale" fulfilled in the Berlusconi era, junior party in a broader right wing coallition.
Yeah I am thinking of FdI but also a Lega-FdI-Berlusconi coalition, which is plausible, is ideologically different and a lot further to the right than a Berlusconi-LN-AN coalition, even if they are made up of the same political forces because of the power balances within them if you know what I mean.

QuoteEurocommunism in a way completely succeeded in Italy by following Berlinguer's thesis and becoming an essential part of its left wing bloc through alliances with other moderate parties, the "Compromesso Storico". When the PCI dissolved in 1991 it split in two, its mainline joining the newly created PDS which, in turn and after successive evolutions ended up becoming the PD, the country's largest left wing party. The splitter branch who refused to do so became the PRC, which to this day is still part of progressively more minoritarian left wing alliances.
God I love Berlinguer :wub:

But I feel like a more vigorous left needs to break from the PD given how flabby and broad it is <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 07:46:48 AMSpain still has claims on Portugal, the Ilhas Selvagens mostly though, nowadays.  :P

No, not even those. And nobody knows them anyway.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2020, 08:10:47 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 07:46:48 AMSpain still has claims on Portugal, the Ilhas Selvagens mostly though, nowadays.  :P

Spanish fishermen know them.  ;) I'll grant you they are not always representative of your average Spaniard.
Not to mention Spain disputes the southern limit of the Portuguese Exclusive Economic Zone by claiming those islands are not islands but rocks.

The Brain

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 08:17:10 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 14, 2020, 08:10:47 AM

Spanish fishermen know them.  ;) I'll grant you they are not always representative of your average Spaniard.
Not to mention Spain disputes the southern limit of the Portuguese Exclusive Economic Zone by claiming those islands are not islands but rocks.

No man is a rock.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Not sure where else to put this but this is bonkers polling NATO members on whether their neighbouring countries have territory that really belongs to them:

I mean Hungary and Greece are not that surprising. Presumably Spain is Gibraltar? I like that Italy is more or less evenly balanced on whether it has any territorial claims - and what are they, Albania?! :blink:

The French number I understand because France should be 130 Departments. The UK presumably has an irredentist lot who either want Ireland or Calais back.

Surprised at the number of Canadians and Americans though. I mean with Canada that can only be the US who is illegitimately holding your territory, right?

Edit: Incidentally could get behind UK irredentism for Aquitane :ph34r:
I feel like 10-20% of the population is just always going to agree regardless of specific claims.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on December 14, 2020, 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2020, 11:43:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 14, 2020, 08:57:08 AM

No man is a rock.

He's not "a rock".

He's "The Rock".

The Rock is still a Rock, he just happens to be The One, byzanteen pedant :contract:

Razgovory

I mean Hungary and Greece are not that surprising. Presumably Spain is Gibraltar? I like that Italy is more or less evenly balanced on whether it has any territorial claims - and what are they, Albania?! :blink:

The French number I understand because France should be 130 Departments. The UK presumably has an irredentist lot who either want Ireland or Calais back.

Surprised at the number of Canadians and Americans though. I mean with Canada that can only be the US who is illegitimately holding your territory, right?

Edit: Incidentally could get behind UK irredentism for Aquitane :ph34r:

I'm really curious what land Americans seem to think should belong to them.  The US is the third biggest country in the world.  We're pretty good on the whole land thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017