Bosnian Serbs convicted of burning 119 Muslims to death

Started by jimmy olsen, July 20, 2009, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Fucking scum, they should get what they dished out. <_<

http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avg&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_us&p=Bosnian+Serbs+convicted+of+burning+Muslims
QuoteBosnian Serbs convicted of burning Muslims
U.N. war crimes court sentences two cousins to 30 years for 119 deaths
AP
updated 12:27 p.m. ET, Mon., July 20, 2009

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A U.N. war crimes court convicted two Bosnian Serb cousins Monday for a "callous" 1992 killing spree that included locking scores of Muslims in two houses and burning them alive.

Yugoslav war crimes tribunal judge Patrick Robinson said burning at least 119 Muslims to death in the eastern Bosnian town of Visegrad "exemplified the worst acts of inhumanity that one person may inflict on others."

He sentenced Milan Lukic to life in prison and Sredoje Lukic to 30 years.

Robinson said Milan Lukic was the ringleader in both incidents, helping herd victims into the houses, setting the fires and shooting those who tried to flee the flames. The judgment said his cousin Sredoje Lukic aided and abetted in one of the blazes.

Witnesses "vividly remembered the terrible screams of the people in the house," Robinson said, adding that Milan Lukic used the butt of his rifle to herd people into the house, and said, "come on, let's get as many people inside as possible."

Milan Lukic shook his head but looked unmoved as Robinson pronounced sentence. Sredoje Lukic leaned back in his chair, his face blank.

Judge: Crimes were among the worst
Even Robinson, a veteran judge at the tribunal that has been prosecuting Balkan war crimes for 15 years, sounded stunned by the Visegrad atrocities.

"The perpetration by Milan Lukic and Sredoje Lukic of crimes in this case is characterized by a callous and vicious disregard for human life," he said.

"In the all-too-long, sad and wretched history of man's inhumanity to man, the Pionirska street and Bikavac fires must rank high," the judge said.

Prosecutors seeking to clear the court's docket as quickly as possible had asked for the Visegrad case to be handed to a Bosnian court because the cousins were relatively low-ranking suspects. But tribunal judges refused, saying the allegations were so serious they should be handled in The Hague.

They welcomed Monday's verdicts, which can still be appealed by the cousins.

"The prosecutor is satisfied with this decision because it reflects the gravity of the crimes committed and the responsibility of the accused," spokeswoman Olga Karvan said. "The prosecutor would particularly like to acknowledge the courage demonstrated by the victims who came forward in this case and presented their evidence in court."

Milan Lukic also was convicted of murdering 12 other Muslims, shooting them in the back on the banks of the Drina River, which runs through Visegrad, so the current would sweep away their bodies. One of the victims was murdered in front of his wife and child.

Survivors testified
Two men survived the summary executions by playing dead, and testified about their ordeal.

Robinson said Milan Lukic "ignored the victims' pleas for their lives," as he and other Serb paramilitaries executed them with a single shot in the back before firing into the bodies of any men they believed were still alive.

Milan Lukic led a paramilitary group known as both the "White Eagles" and the "Avengers," which terrorized Muslims in Visegrad. His cousin Sredoje was a local policeman and a member of the group.

Both men also were convicted of cruelty for visiting a detention center to savagely beat Muslim inmates.

Milan Lukic was arrested in August 2005 in Argentina and sent for trial in The Hague. His cousin surrendered to Bosnian Serb authorities and was transferred to The Hague a few weeks later.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

QuoteHe sentenced Milan Lukic to life in prison and Sredoje Lukic to 30 years.

Quote"The prosecutor is satisfied with this decision because it reflects the gravity of the crimes committed and the responsibility of the accused,"

:lol:  The wheels of Euroweenie justice keep a' turnin'.

Kleves

So for every four murders, you get one year in prison? Is that only if you're murdering Muslims, or does it go for everyone? Is the exchange rate posted online somewhere?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on July 20, 2009, 08:36:40 PM
So for every four murders, you get one year in prison? Is that only if you're murdering Muslims, or does it go for everyone? Is the exchange rate posted online somewhere?

Can you imagine if the Nuremberg Trials were held by the Euroweenies at The Hague instead?  All the Nazis would've been out by 1960, free to live a life of religious fulfillment.

Neil

Goering would probably have been elected President of Germany.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2009, 08:38:58 PM

Can you imagine if the Nuremberg Trials were held by the Euroweenies at The Hague instead?  All the Nazis would've been out by 1960, free to live a life of religious fulfillment.

Most were anyway <_<
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

What's the big deal? They were MUSLIMS!
As in the ENEMIES of all civilized humankind.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Norgy

Seedy actually makes a good point.
Sometimes, I really wish people could get the chair here.

The sentencing they dish out for Bosnia and Rwanda is bmolssonish.
"Genocide? Ok, no lottery tickets for a year. Here's a comfy chair. You stay here and don't try to escape the first week"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Norgy on July 21, 2009, 01:38:50 AM

Seedy actually makes a good point.
Sometimes, I really wish people could get the chair here.

The sentencing they dish out for Bosnia and Rwanda is bmolssonish.
"Genocide? Ok, no lottery tickets for a year. Here's a comfy chair. You stay here and don't try to escape the first week"
No Lottery tickets! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I'm glad the Serbians pay attention to their bedtime stories about Good Count Dracula. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

The guy who got 30 years aided and abetted, and only in one of the two killings, and he surrendered himself to authorities. Not sure how these facts square off with what you say in your post.  :huh:

Besides, we don't have the system of sentencing someone to one million years of prison, as the ridiculous US legal system has. You either get life or a term of imprisonment which normally cannot exceed 25 or 30 years, depending on a country.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on July 21, 2009, 01:34:39 PM
Besides, we don't have the system of sentencing someone to one million years of prison, as the ridiculous US legal system has. You either get life or a term of imprisonment which normally cannot exceed 25 or 30 years, depending on a country.

That is just a difference between civil and common law I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2009, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 21, 2009, 01:34:39 PM

That is just a difference between civil and common law I think.

You'd never see a sentence of 150 years in Canada.  The judges were making for of the Madoff case at the conference I went to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 21, 2009, 01:39:57 PM
You'd never see a sentence of 150 years in Canada.  The judges were making for of the Madoff case at the conference I went to.

:huh:

Anyway perhaps I stand corrected.  I never thought of that as being illogical before it is just how we have always done things.

I even remember a gag about it in a cartoon I saw way back when I was a kid:

'I hereby sentence you to 20 million years in prison!'

'Whew I didn't get life!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."