News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I wouldn't call us Latin American but I do use the expression "our Latin blood" to justify different Italian/Spanish influence behaviour.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

I have very little real world experience with Quebecois, who knows, maybe they're totally different, but I definitely feel a similarity between European French speakers and the Spanish and Italians.

Butt.....I've even heard Brazilians insist they're not Latin American so...ja.

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2021, 02:59:59 PM
Like so:

I remember being taught to do that in the last years of primary school then in the first years of senior school they tell you to stop it. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Never in my whole life I've seen Quebec grouped in any way with other American countries. The three groupings I'm aware of are:

- Latin America: Spanish speaking countries + Brazil + former French colonies like Haiti. It includes some places that are not sovereign states, such as Puerto Rico or French Guiana, but I've never seen Quebec included on it.

Sometimes when it is used more in a geographic sense than cultural it might also include places like Belize or the Dutch Caribbean islands or all the Guianas.

- Hispanic America: Spanish speaking countries by themselves (including Puerto Rico).

- Ibero America: Spanish speaking countries (including Puerto Rico) + Brazil.

AFAIK this is the only group that has a specific international org associated with it, as there's an Ibero American summit of all these countries + Spain and Portugal that takes place every year or couple of years.

Quote from: Tyr on September 07, 2021, 03:11:38 AMI definitely feel a similarity between European French speakers and the Spanish and Italians.

I shudder to think about your rationale.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 07, 2021, 06:16:31 AMNever in my whole life I've seen Quebec grouped in any way with other American countries. The three groupings I'm aware of are:

- Latin America: Spanish speaking countries + Brazil + former French colonies like Haiti. It includes some places that are not sovereign states, such as Puerto Rico or French Guiana, but I've never seen Quebec included on it.

Sometimes when it is used more in a geographic sense than cultural it might also include places like Belize or the Dutch Caribbean islands or all the Guianas.
Yeah - I don't really think it's about the origin of language. If you say Latin America - people know what it means and it doesn't include Quebec. It can be a geographic expression but also something cultural - and I think Haiti's place is particularly interesting.

I'd include Puerto Rico for sure and probably Belize and the Guianas just because of their wider cultural context/links with the region.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2021, 10:37:47 AM
I wonder how our Quebecois posters feel about that designation?

we are latins, or so some insists.  But latin-americans is a stretch, despite the geography.  We don't really have their cultural traits, we are much more influenced by mainstream american culture than anything from Mexico, the Carribeans or Spain&Portugal.

But I don't really care.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Does Kellyanne Conway have a military background? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Forcing out? Isn't it normal to have a new administration make new appointments? Especially when we are talking about different parties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 09, 2021, 08:56:29 AM
Does Kellyanne Conway have a military background? :unsure:

To advocate for the devil...I don't think we should trap ourselves on the idea that an advisory board to a military service academy, in a country where civilian control of the military should be a very high ideal (and is codified in law, of course), that we should require a military background for such a role.

That said, a political hack is no better than a military hack.  From what I understand of these roles, they would best be filled by a mix of people with military, academic, and fiscal backgrounds.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2021, 11:00:40 AM
Forcing out? Isn't it normal to have a new administration make new appointments? Especially when we are talking about different parties.

My sister posted a Daily Wire ( :bleeding: ) article:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/biden-purges-trump-appointees-from-fixed-term-government-boards-in-unprecedented-departure-from-norms?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=benshapiro&fbclid=IwAR0SrU66ss7jgcLZbmFYDRYBZOFRqL9S6_2VwhBuIN1t6WeWi8hjpxdjcfs

QuoteBiden Purges Trump Appointees From Education, Science Boards In 'Unprecedented' Departure From Norms
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Well how did Trump get all to appoint all those people to those boards? Did all of Obama's appointees just coincidentally decide to retire on their own during a four year span?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

If I recall correctly there was a USSC ruling within the last few years that said any appointment that said the President could only terminate "with cause" was unconstitutional, and converted those positions to be held at the pleasure of the President.  The court case wasn't commenced by the Trump DOJ but was argued by them in the Supreme Court, and Trump was liberal with firing people associated with the Obama administration (go figure).

So it might be unprecedented, but only because the law changed in the last few years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

It is definitely not unprecedented

Weeks AFTER Trump lost the 2020 election, Trump purged the membership of the Defense Policy Board, including Henry Kissinger, Madeleine Albright; Adm. Gary Roughead, among other luminaries.  Hard to get more petty than that.

I can't speak to each individual case but what business does Kellyane Conway have being on a service academy board? Don't the service academies have honor codes?

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 09, 2021, 11:45:28 AM
It is definitely not unprecedented

If what BB has posted is true then it isn't untrue that it is unprecedented. It is just told in such a way as to convey a lie...which is the best kind of truth.

Politics in the United States is full of those kind of lies while saying factual things.