News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on August 27, 2021, 02:45:05 PM
Very on-brand for the overgrown teenager that he is, but I am also open to the idea that his injuries have harmed his handwriting.

Yeah, that could well be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, does nobody write cursive anymore :weep:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2021, 02:47:53 PM
Also, does nobody write cursive anymore :weep:
That's joined up writing, right?
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on August 27, 2021, 02:45:05 PM
Very on-brand for the overgrown teenager that he is, but I am also open to the idea that his injuries have harmed his handwriting.

Party pooper. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Dude's already a fucking clueless Nazi. No reason to hammer him over things he can't help.  :sleep:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

My handwriting looks like that too. :ph34r: It's been years since I've needed to write anything more than a few words by hand.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2021, 11:50:58 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 24, 2021, 11:34:14 AM
I think Hispanic is more accepted simply because it was the term the government and census came up with first, before Latino became more en vogue. Latino was needed because the logic behind the term "Hispanic" was that this was a Spanish language population, but many of these people when they hit 2nd generation, are fully bilingual with maybe a slight preference for English, and many third generation only speak limited Spanish at all. But we still want to "capture" them because they have last names like Martinez and often their skin is a little too far in the color wheel for us to be comfortable with so they must have some sort of label so we can correctly identify what sort of minority they are.

Okay, so I'm probably biased because of my experience with A: a Brazillian sister-in-law, and B: having two exchange students from Spain stay with us.

But I thought the problem with "Hispanic" is that it would cover my two spanish exchange students, but exclude my Portuguese-speaking sister-in-law, when that's not really what was intended in either case.  As such "Latino" meant "someone from Latin America", which was the term we were looking for.

Ibero-American is what you are looking for. Latin America includes Haiti and Québec as well.  :P
Hispanic used to have the sense of Iberian in French, but given all US series some people don't even make the connection to Spain anymore, so Portugal is even a tougher proposition.

Jacob

This is the first time I've heard Quebec described as Latin-American. I wonder how our Quebecois posters feel about that designation?

Duque de Bragança

Because French is a Latin or Romance language.

Quebeckers are not Hispanics or Ibero-American, obviously.

But yes, it's mostly tongue-in-cheek these days, and not common at all.

PS: a case could be made for Italian-speakers as Latin Americans in North America as well. Not just those with roots in Latium.  :P