News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 06, 2020, 07:59:17 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2020, 07:39:29 AMThere was a ton of talk this cycle about South Carolina flipping.

No there wasn't. There was talk about Texas and Georgia, but never S. Carolina.
There was talk of flipping the Senate seat though.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 08:03:49 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2020, 07:39:29 AMThere was a ton of talk this cycle about South Carolina flipping.

There was talk of flipping the Senate seat though.

Sure, for the senate race against Graham, but never for the presidential elections.

Sheilbh

Agreed. And looking at the (very incomplete) info on Open Secrets the DSCC didn't spend much money in SC.

As I say if this is more an issue of Dem donors being diffuse and easily distracted by shiny things rather than resource allocation by the party's campaigining wings themselves.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Fuck you people can be difficult. The betting odds on October 6 actually gave Biden a 20% chance of winning.

https://www.ibtimes.com/will-republicans-win-south-carolina-2020-donald-trump-joe-biden-tight-race-red-state-3054668

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2020, 08:15:16 AM

Fuck you people can be difficult. The betting odds on October 6 actually gave Biden a 20% chance of winning.

https://www.ibtimes.com/will-republicans-win-south-carolina-2020-donald-trump-joe-biden-tight-race-red-state-3054668

That doesn't count as "a ton of talk". Betting odds is not political discourse.

Admiral Yi

I don't think I heard the possibility of SC flipping mentioned once.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on November 06, 2020, 08:18:52 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2020, 08:15:16 AM

That doesn't count as "a ton of talk". Betting odds is not political discourse.

So you want me to find and post a ton of articles here?  :lol:

I mean, people were laying down money on a 20% chance of Biden winning and a poll at the end of September showed Biden within 1 point and you really don't think people were talking about it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Threviel

What's happening in Alaska? They're not moving at all on the count.

Tamas

I don't think degenerate gamblers making stupid bets should be used for political analysis.

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 06, 2020, 01:24:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:18:58 AM
Democrats: "We must move to the center to be palatable to voters!"
GOP: *doubles down on Trump crazy, still nearly wins, and probably retains senate majority*
I wish we could have a Trump Party, a Leftist/Progressive Party, and a Center-ist party that has elements from the left and right but needing support from one of the other two parties to accomplish their goals. That is what we seem to be firmly heading toward ideologically even if our system pretty much prevents it.

I think one of the worst things about the radicalization of the right in the US has meant that the actual and real political divide in most of the country has been ignored, and right now it is basically Trump and Not Trump.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on November 06, 2020, 08:35:24 AM
What's happening in Alaska? They're not moving at all on the count.

IIRC they've one of those laws where postal votes have to be counted from some later date only?
Either that or they've realised nobody cares.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2020, 08:36:59 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 06, 2020, 01:24:01 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:18:58 AM
Democrats: "We must move to the center to be palatable to voters!"
GOP: *doubles down on Trump crazy, still nearly wins, and probably retains senate majority*
I wish we could have a Trump Party, a Leftist/Progressive Party, and a Center-ist party that has elements from the left and right but needing support from one of the other two parties to accomplish their goals. That is what we seem to be firmly heading toward ideologically even if our system pretty much prevents it.

I think one of the worst things about the radicalization of the right in the US has meant that the actual and real political divide in most of the country has been ignored, and right now it is basically Trump and Not Trump.

I wish you guys had an actual Conservative party, and that Trumpists were a ridiculed fringe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2020, 08:36:35 AM
I don't think degenerate gamblers making stupid bets should be used for political analysis.
:lol: Also they're normally looking for value.

We have loads of political gambling in this country - it's fully legal - and they have a worse record at predicting things than polls, models, forecasts, finger-in-the-wind predictions or bird entrails. I think they are the worst predictor because that's not the function they serve.

American news networks yet another example (as with our actors) of Americans looking more attractive and healthy  :Embarrass:

QuoteI think one of the worst things about the radicalization of the right in the US has meant that the actual and real political divide in most of the country has been ignored, and right now it is basically Trump and Not Trump.
What's interesting is that part of Biden's success has been in consolidating the anti-Trump votes of the Libertarian Party (who still won votes, but far fewer than Johnson won), McMullin etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Biden takes the lead in Pennsylvania :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!