News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 06:21:40 AM
I correct my earlier post about the press having generally sensible takes.

:lol:
It's the Express. The only things missing are a link to Princess Diana and a cure for Alzheimer's. The Express genuinely could just be written by a (not very smart) AI.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Richard Hakluyt

I look at the Express every now and then, it makes the mail look wise and erudite in comparison.

Newspapers attract zero vat because "...newspapers, books and some other printed products have historically been zero-rated for the purpose of value-added tax because their consumption is considered to benefit the public." I think the Express should have this exemption revoked as its main purpose appears to be scaring old ladies.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 06, 2020, 06:32:13 AM
Newspapers attract zero vat because "...newspapers, books and some other printed products have historically been zero-rated for the purpose of value-added tax because their consumption is considered to benefit the public." I think the Express should have this exemption revoked as its main purpose appears to be scaring old ladies.
Or pushing sales by promising false hope for a cure to alzheimer's based on very limited evidence.

The Express is basically clickbait, but from before the internet existed :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 06:38:14 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 06, 2020, 06:32:13 AM
Or pushing sales by promising false hope for a cure to alzheimer's based on very limited evidence.

The Express is basically clickbait, but from before the internet existed :lol: :ph34r:
Its funny how things change, it used to be the Express was the better written paper for Tories.
But then the Independent was also the well written centre left one.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 06:40:33 AM
I have no idea what's going on in the Independent because their site has so many ads and cookies that it is basically unuseable - a bit like local papers' websites.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 06:44:47 AM
I have no idea what's going on in the Independent because their site has so many ads and cookies that it is basically unuseable - a bit like local papers' websites.

And every page wants to load a video. :bleeding:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on November 06, 2020, 06:53:45 AM

And every page wants to load a video. :bleeding:
Yes! Especially if you're on your phone the video takes up the top half of the screen. The ad banner takes up the bottom third and you can only read, at most, 1-2 lines at a time. I just see people linking to Independent articles and I'm sure they're interesting, but I just ignore them now  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Speaking of - I thought about getting a digital sub for my old local paper back in Germany. They want 35 EUR per month, and they put all local news behind a paywall. I'm all in favor of supporting local press, but that seems a bit much.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

I see that local papers' websites are the same all over.  :lol: I always feel like in a minefield, one wrong click and I'll be opening some random banner I never even saw loading.

FunkMonk

For the past few days my mornings have started with Wolf Blitzer and my nights have ended with Wolf Blitzer. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 07:01:08 AM
For the past few days my mornings have started with Wolf Blitzer and my nights have ended with Wolf Blitzer. :hmm:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/astronomers-discover-hell-planet-k2-141b-rock-rain-lava-oceans/ :hmm:
QuoteScientists discover bizarre hell planet where it rains rocks and oceans are made of lava
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.