News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Truly amazing how down to the wire this is going. Fingers crossed.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Trump already has more votes than Obama in 2008, which so far has been the highest number of a winner.

69,655,365 (Trump 2020) vs. 69,498,516 (Obama 2008).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on November 05, 2020, 07:39:39 PM
Any reactions to the Trump White house televised statement?
As with his election night statement, he knows he's lost and this is how he'll lose: as a victim. He really won, but it was stolen from him and he was stabbed in the back by his party, his courts etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

This looks like it could become violent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

GA Presidential Election Results - Biden takes the Lead

Biden (D): 49.39.% ( 2,449,371 votes)
Trump (R): 49.37% ( 2,448,454 votes)

Biden Margin: (+917)
Estimated: > 99% votes in

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/1324643210283593728?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2020, 04:27:05 AM

Nice work Habs.

I did notice Katmai is lagging behind though.

Tamas

"Isn't it weird that thousands of votes were cast in name of dead people? If it happened here there'd be such a scandal" - Orban reflects on the US election on the radio this morning.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2020, 04:29:53 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2020, 04:27:05 AM

Nice work Habs.

I did notice Katmai is lagging behind though.
sorry was taking shower and grabbing midnight snack.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 06, 2020, 04:35:28 AM
"Isn't it weird that thousands of votes were cast in name of dead people? If it happened here there'd be such a scandal" - Orban reflects on the US election on the radio this morning.
Obvious bollocks, not unexpected.
But I do wonder on this, with things being so tight. What if someone votes by post the week before the election and dies before election day?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 04:53:55 AM
But I do wonder on this, with things being so tight. What if someone votes by post the week before the election and dies before election day?
I don't think it's that tight :P

My guess is it would depend on the state rules. In the UK there's no check the point is that we count the ballots that were valid at the time they were cast rather than checking if they remain valid at the time they are counted (the other issue could be if someone becomes a prisoner, a lunatic, or a member of the royal family after casting their postal ballot). Given the numbers of people who request postal ballots and that they're particularly popular amoung the elderly (who also turn out most), there's probably a few thousand votes every election year that were made by dead people. And, of course, it's more than possible that someone could vote in person, step out the community centre and get run down by a bus.

But also any way to cure this issue would probably create bigger problems because it wouldn't be a secret ballot any more if we were to identify x ballot with y person and check that they haven't subsequently died.

There have also been dead candidates, some have even won their election, because when they died it was too late to remove them from the ballot.
Let's bomb Russia!