News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

So it looks like we're headed for a runoff circus in Georgia to determine the Senate.  Let's see how much money gets dumped in by both parties.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2020, 02:19:24 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 05, 2020, 10:36:09 AM
https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

This scraper is live sraping every voting block that comes in and reporting the results.

I don't understand this.  Are they saying that Trump will win in Arizona?

It's not saying any particular result.  But it is saying that in Arizona Trump needs 57.5% of the remaining vote and Trump is averaging 58.7% of the votes that are coming in.  So incredibly tight.

But it's also showing similar trends in Biden's favour in Pennsylvania (Biden needs 60%, is getting 80%) and Georgia (Biden needs 64%, is getting 73%).

An interesting little tool.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Why drag Tim into this, Beeb?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2020, 02:21:34 PM
The problem with not allowing the ballots after election day is that it's unfair and not legitimate to throw out valid votes because of failure of post office.  I don't see why we can't have the mail-in deadline be a week before the election, though.  You have at least one week to check and see whether your ballot made it in, and you have remedies in case it didn't come in.

If you define a valid vote as one that arrives by election day, then you aren't throwing out valid votes.  :P

What is the difference between sending out ballots three weeks before the election and telling people to get them back by election day (either by mail, dropping them off at the voting location, or deposited in a drop box), and your system of telling them to have them mailed a week before the election?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2020, 02:33:56 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 05, 2020, 02:21:34 PM
The problem with not allowing the ballots after election day is that it's unfair and not legitimate to throw out valid votes because of failure of post office.  I don't see why we can't have the mail-in deadline be a week before the election, though.  You have at least one week to check and see whether your ballot made it in, and you have remedies in case it didn't come in.

If you define a valid vote as one that arrives by election day, then you aren't throwing out valid votes.  :P

What is the difference between sending out ballots three weeks before the election and telling people to get them back by election day (either by mail, dropping them off at the voting location, or deposited in a drop box), and your system of telling them to have them mailed a week before the election?
:hmm: I'll get back to you on that one.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2020, 02:26:30 PM
Check this twitter feed out of Maria Bartiromo. She is a Fox Business host and previously a long time CNBC host. She is what I guess passes for right leaning but not in the talk show host realm of crazy:

https://twitter.com/MariaBartiromo

Lots of hints of Trump losing because of voter fraud.

I imagine in the true conservative echo chamber / talk show universe it is dramatically worse.

I don't know that most Republican voters are going to accept Trump losing as something other than a fraud. Trump certainly won't lead them there. I expect some doozies in Syt's family thread.

Bartiromo used to pretty straight but recently got Rudy Disease and has been spouting nutty Trumpy stuff for a while now.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2020, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 05, 2020, 02:26:30 PM
Check this twitter feed out of Maria Bartiromo. She is a Fox Business host and previously a long time CNBC host. She is what I guess passes for right leaning but not in the talk show host realm of crazy:

https://twitter.com/MariaBartiromo

Lots of hints of Trump losing because of voter fraud.

I imagine in the true conservative echo chamber / talk show universe it is dramatically worse.

I don't know that most Republican voters are going to accept Trump losing as something other than a fraud. Trump certainly won't lead them there. I expect some doozies in Syt's family thread.

Bartiromo used to pretty straight but recently got Rudy Disease and has been spouting nutty Trumpy stuff for a while now.
Minsky beat me to this, but yeah she nuttier than squirrel shit these days. ( but then again so is most of the GOP) :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2020, 02:29:46 PM
https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html

This scraper is live sraping every voting block that comes in and reporting the results.

It's not saying any particular result.  But it is saying that in Arizona Trump needs 57.5% of the remaining vote and Trump is averaging 58.7% of the votes that are coming in.  So incredibly tight.

But it's also showing similar trends in Biden's favour in Pennsylvania (Biden needs 60%, is getting 80%) and Georgia (Biden needs 64%, is getting 73%).

What are "Blocks"?  Why do block trends and hurdles keep changing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Are democrats going to lose the house?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Blocks of votes reporting.

Each result changes the result the candidate needs to win based on the projected remaining votes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 05, 2020, 02:41:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2020, 02:29:46 PM

What are "Blocks"?  Why do block trends and hurdles keep changing?

Each block is each batch of new votes that were added to the total.  Trends and hurdles change as more votes are added.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Oh, okay.  Thanks.  I wish I understood statistics. :(

alfred russel

So long as it doesn't change the election outcome, i want Arizona to go to Trump.

My girlfriend has for days been refusing to discuss the possibility of Arizona being up in the air, because it has been "called". She is dismissive as though I'm a madman for thinking the AP experts would be wrong, or that Fox would do something unjustified that was pro democrat.

Arizona would force her to recognize my genius, just as covid-19 will force you guys once it becomes clear how awesome my takes were.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 05, 2020, 11:27:48 AM
I've read the Michigan complaint.  Comments:

1) it is not the finest legal filing I've ever read, but its not grade school scribbling either.
2) There is a glaring absence of any concrete facts being alleged
3) Counsel is a small firm specializing in 5th amendment property cases. But the lead counsel was an elections law counsel for GWB.  So far from an elections law A team, but perhaps a C team with arguments to be a B team.
4) The complaint is that GOP observers were not present when certain absentee ballots were being counted. However, no instance or evidence of this happening is supplied.
5) The complaint also says that Michigan failed to provide video surveillance of drop boxes which it claims is required under Michigan law.

The real head scratcher is assuming this is all true what is the remedy? The lawsuit asks that counting of absentee ballots "stop" and that drop box ballots be segregated.  My understanding is that the count is done and the ballots can't be unscrambled now.

Tellingly, the plaintiff has not asked for a TRO (temporary order) that would be needed assuming the relief they sought was even possible.  Instead they have asked for a declaratory judgment - basically a declaration from the court that Michigan didn't follow the law.  However, that really doesn't do anything to change the results.

Seems to me the best possible outcome for Trump legally here would be an order for a statewide recount with GOP observers present but that obviously won't help Trump.

The other possibility is that this is a purely political ploy and the intent is to convince the Michigan legislature to toss the whole count.  I don't see that happening either.

Motion for emergency relief denied.
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1324402059559477248

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Awesome Michigan accent from Heather Meingast (asst AG).
--Joan Robinson