US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 09:24:17 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 05:21:47 AM
What the hell is with jorgensen voters. So many :bleeding:

Jo Jorgenson could hand Georgia to Biden  :lol:

I suspect libertarians pull more votes from Republicans than Democrats at this point. It is at least a mixed bag.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
Michigan lead is 19k now. Wouldn't it be fun if it all came down to Nevada flipping red at the last minute?

No way that will happen. Nevada has a massive hispanic population.
Also from the department responsible:
QuoteNevada Elections
@NVElect
Here's what is left to count:

-Mail ballots received on Election Day
-Mail ballots that will be received over the next week
-Provisional ballots

Ballots outstanding is difficult to estimate in Nevada because every voter was sent a mail ballot. Obviously, not all will vote.

There's nothing there that seems likely to be disproportionately Republican.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I'm pleasantly surprised at nevada. Las Vegas seems to be just so trump.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
Wouldn't it be fun if it all came down to Nevada flipping red at the last minute?

I'd prefer an outright coup if we're going for laughs.

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 09:32:01 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised at nevada. Las Vegas seems to be just so trump.
:huh: What do you base that on?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2020, 09:18:19 AM
Trump campaign sending emails again.

https://twitter.com/geoplace/status/1323946863221968897

Let's get some perspective.
By any normal measure Biden is decisively beating Trump by millions of votes.
We are only still watching because of this antiquated 18th century system of voting for state Electors
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

I know it's the increasingly old fart in me yelling at a cloud but:

CLARE MALONE
NOV. 4, 9:35 AM
Sarah Ellison over at The Washington Post has a good TikTok about Fox's decision to project Arizona for Biden pretty early in the night. (ABC News, I need to note here, has not yet made a projection in the state.) The tension between Fox's decision desk and its opinion anchors and the pressure that the pro-Trump network was getting from the Trump campaign were all very 2020 in its dynamics.

TikTok as a journalism outlet  :bleeding:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 09:00:07 AM
@JR I thought you lived in NY? 

Pretty close but there is this little river in the way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

fromtia

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2020, 07:42:15 AM
Florida passed a minimum wage hike to  $10.

This country is ripe for Strasserism.

Fret not sweet Timmay, Republicans will use the courts to get rid of this pronto. It will become something like a $10 minimum wage for self employed alligators on Tuesdays only when they are done with it.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2020, 09:39:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2020, 09:18:19 AM
Trump campaign sending emails again.

https://twitter.com/geoplace/status/1323946863221968897

Let's get some perspective.
By any normal measure Biden is decisively beating Trump by millions of votes.
We are only still watching because of this antiquated 18th century system of voting for state Electors

See, this is why I'm not convinced that demographic change will eventually force the GOP to adapt or leave, as long as conservative rural areas wield disproportionate power.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2020, 09:40:38 AM

CLARE MALONE
Sarah Ellison over at The Washington Post has a good TikTok about Fox's decision to project Arizona for Biden pretty early in the night. (ABC News, I need to note here, has not yet made a projection in the state.) The tension between Fox's decision desk and its opinion anchors and the pressure that the pro-Trump network was getting from the Trump campaign were all very 2020 in its dynamics.

I mostly watched Fox's coverage last night - there are a LOT of problems with that network but overall the coverage last night really was old school fair and balanced.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2020, 09:30:25 AM

There's nothing there that seems likely to be disproportionately Republican.

There was the theory that late arriving ballots could be disproportionately republican. Mainly based on the trend that early mailers were democratic out of proportion to those that got mail in ballots - so maybe republicans were procrastinating (and causing the late mail in vote to be republican).

Biden's lead is just under 8,000. I guess the question is how many votes are outstanding. If it is 10k: obviously Trump is cooked. If it is 150k...I'd still bet Biden of course but it is getting worrying.

Recorded vote totals are already in excess of what was cast in Nevada in 2016, although Nevada is a growing state and this is a high turnout election.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2020, 09:42:46 AM
I mostly watched Fox's coverage last night - there are a LOT of problems with that network but overall the coverage last night really was old school fair and balanced.
Meanwhile I watched mostly MSNBC where the nonstop theme was "don't panic, we got this people". :sleep:

They had James Carville on and he had a bottle of Pappy on a shelf behind him and repeatedly talked about it.  Thanks for the free publicity James. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

fromtia

A big thumbs up from the Fromtia Wild Eyed Panic Bunker to all of you. I had resolved not to look at my phone or read any news outlets through all of this and instead chose to rely on all of you for some generally thoughtful and insightful commentary on events as they unfold, and you have delivered, as you have done in times past. Thanks.  :hug:
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2020, 09:42:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 04, 2020, 09:40:38 AM

CLARE MALONE

I read an article in the NYT a few weeks ago about the dude that makes their calls. He's a hyper-wonk and seemed completely walled off from outside pressure, very respected among his peers apparently.