News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 08:38:21 AM
I do think Nate Silver has some explaining to do.  I don't think his 10% thing is going to bail him out.
Yeah, honestly, I think he's done.  It looks like he has no idea what he's talking about at this point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

I do think Nate Silver has some explaining to do.  I don't think his 10% thing is going to bail him out.

He did say It's A Fine Line Between A Landslide And A Nail-Biter in the final projection.
But the Cuban thing and the Senate races need some explaining.

Sheilbh

I mean didn't Nate kind of get it right.

As I say I'm not personally a massive fan during the campaign but think he's useful on election night. But we were basically dealing with, by the looks of it, a large polling failure (especially at the state level - again - where some of the differences are enormous) and his model was probably about right. He correctly got that Biden's odds were pretty good even in the event of a big a polling failure. To me that seems like a vindication of the model rather than the polls - not the 10% thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on November 04, 2020, 08:41:50 AM
But the Cuban thing and the Senate races need some explaining.
But weren't those polling errors? I get that he weights them and probably needs to examine those weightings, but surely he's not responsible for the underlying polls being so wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Biden is down to 74%, mainly because of Georgia.  Stop, stop, enough.

The Brain

Maybe the polling was right but the voting was wrong?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2020, 08:44:32 AM
Perhaps that was Trump's plan all along. :ph34r:

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2020, 08:44:32 AM
Has anyone been reporting things like spoiled ballot rate?

FunkMonk

Polling is finished so Nate and the cottage industry based around polling are finished. Private polling by campaigns will still  exist but public polling is gone.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 08:47:58 AM
Polling is finished so Nate and the cottage industry based around polling are finished. Private polling by campaigns will still  exist but public polling is gone.

In a just world, but in reality people want to know what is going to happen so there will be a market for polling. Just as there is for astrology.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Yeah.  Polling isn't finished, but I think the current crop of pollsters are.

The Minsky Moment

IIRC the pollsters did just fine in 2018 . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Also, some non-Presidential observations for you all:

* McConnell destroyed McGrath in KY, just as everyone with a brain knew he would.  Why the national party set a bunch of money on fire for her, I'll never understand.  McConnell is unbeatable here.

* Pot got legalized in NJ, so I'll be really enjoying my next trip home to visit my parents. :cool:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 08:58:16 AM
* Pot got legalized in NJ, so I'll be really enjoying my next trip home to visit my parents. :cool:

You're welcome.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson