News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'm feeling much better than I was last night, with the info that mail ins haven't been counted.

Threviel

If he wins GA, like I believe and Nevada, where he leads, Biden will win.

alfred russel

There was some talk on the future of the GOP and bringing latinos into the fold. It may be happening already--exit polls are not perfect, but there is a county that is 96% hispanic - Starr County Texas.

In 2016, it voted for Clinton 79% and Trump 19%.

In 2020, it voted for Biden 52% and Trump 47%.

That is a swing of R +55% in 4 years.

If the Republicans weren't running a candidate calling mexicans rapists and murderers, they might have even won the county.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Looks like the Red Mirage rang true :hmm:

In the future, it would be nice for states to count all methods of voting at the same time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 07:06:05 AM
It actually may not even be very close. I just check predictit and Biden is now the betting favorite in Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nevada. If that holds, he will win in the electoral college 306-232.
According to the NYT there's 1.4 million outstanding absentee ballots in Pennsylvania and the first million broke 80-20 to Biden. Plus there's still election day votes to count in Philadelphia and the suburbs. Hopefully that all holds because Trump's lead is 700k.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 04:53:20 AM
Just had my heart jump when I read of a burst pipe in Georgia stopping 60k postal votes being counted. Seems they weren't damaged and are due to be counted later today.
I remember in the prediction thread saying it would be awesome if a traditionally republican state made the difference. Could be heading that way. Final nail in the confederacys coffin as it's clearly urban /rural & industrial states that make the difference?

I love ACW references and hijacks, but I just have to point out that this is a terrible take. :D
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 07:17:21 AM

In the future, it would be nice for states to count all methods of voting at the same time.
It was little bit stressful earlier in the day.

But, on the other hand in 2016 I remember crawling all over US electoral maps to look for hidden pockets of Democratic votes that still needed to report. I'm not too sad that Republicans might now be doing that :blush:

Edit: I think Nate Silver was doing some calculations and said the popular vote might work out at 52/48, which is a cursed number for the British posters :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

We don't have the "you can count votes postmarked before election day" thing, but over here mail votes are just mixed in with election day votes when doing the recount (I was chosen to man a polling station some time ago).

FunkMonk

All pollsters to be fired immediately. Fire all pollsters.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 07:24:22 AM
What can they do if the chuds don't answer the phone?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

If Florida(!) can get counting quickly figured out, it seems other states should be able to as well.

But something I agree with Republicans on is that ballots should be received by election day to be counted. What a mess it could be in a truly close election to have ballots floating around unsecured, and ambiguity on when they were put into the system. Plus everyone is on pins and needles for days. Get the ballots out to voters with plenty of time for them to return them, and from there it is on the voter.

FunkMonk

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2020, 07:25:32 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 04, 2020, 07:24:22 AM
What can they do if the chuds don't answer the phone?

Most of them know how to code. They can find new careers.

Josquius

I hate gambling. But my imaginary money is on PA going trump but Biden winning anyway. Georgia to him

Quote. All pollsters to be fired immediately. Fire all pollsters

Look at 270towins models and though there's a long tail for Biden with some massive wins coming out, the bulk of outcomes hover around things being even, with a lot more on the Biden side of the fence.

I don't think the polls were wrong here. Remember the margin of error is always there - in 2016 the polls were broadly right outside of a few states too.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on November 04, 2020, 07:27:19 AM
If Florida(!) can get counting quickly figured out, it seems other states should be able to as well.
My understanding is that the Republican legislatures in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan all opposed measures to start counting mail-in ballots early. Which makes sense in a normal year when mail-in ballots etc are, from my understanding, normally quite restricted in those states. But I feel like if you increase that route to voting then you really should follow the model of states like Florida and start counting early.

QuoteBut something I agree with Republicans on is that ballots should be received by election day to be counted. What a mess it could be in a truly close election to have ballots floating around unsecured, and ambiguity on when they were put into the system. Plus everyone is on pins and needles for days. Get the ballots out to voters with plenty of time for them to return them, and from there it is on the voter.
That's the way it is in the UK and I agree. But I think that's a legislative change you make ahead of a vote - I don't agree with the idea that you can challenge it in the courts after people have received their ballots. I might not like it but that was possibly the law when people cast their ballots and I feel like that should be respected.
Let's bomb Russia!