News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Armenia-Azerbaijan War

Started by jimmy olsen, October 21, 2020, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Surprised Azerbaijan would let the Armenians sue for peace. They seemed committed to going in hard and nigh on wiping them out in NK. Russian pressure?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

DGuller

It seems like a reasonable enough agreement.  Armenia did occupy some parts of Azerbaijan because of "border gore" reasons.  It sounds like NK won't be taken by Azerbaijan, which is the only land Armenia has any kind of claim for.  The downside seems to be that Armenia will now forever be reliant on Russia to guarantee the link to NK, which will be a hand permanently gripping their nutsack.

mongers

What I heard on Al Jazeera was Russian peacekeepers are flying in now to patrol Nagorna K. and the corridor link it to Armenia, but that Armenia forces will have to withdraw as part of the ceasefire deal. 

So that's a big defeat/concession for the Armenians, in effect recognizing Azeri 'victory', hence the crowds in Yeravan going apeshit and trashing the government offices.

Don't know what the deal means for local Nagorna Armenia forces, do they have to withdraw too, are they too closely enmeshed with Armenian  forces to be differentiated?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Right so risking an Marty analogy here ....

We have the country that hasn't recognized it's genocide carried out on a minority people, years later aiding another state in a war against the victims of said historical genocide. Though it's complicated by the victim minority having also ethnically cleansed other people from a territory.

This would be like a largely unapologetic West German* providing significant military aid to Egypt or Syria in the run up to the six-day war or 1973 war sufficient to possibly tip the balance in the Arab's favour before the UN and/or the US stepped in to stop the fighting.

* Or in this alternative reality, a significantly more independent and militarily much stronger East German, and yes I'm aware E.German military advisers played a small role in

mongers

Interesting video about the conflict on the frontline from this bbc news item, 9 min video worth a viewing:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54882564

mongers

State of conflict before ceasefire:

Admiral Yi

Things could gubadli for Armenia.

Gaijin de Moscu

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2020, 06:54:07 PM
Surprised Azerbaijan would let the Armenians sue for peace. They seemed committed to going in hard and nigh on wiping them out in NK. Russian pressure?

Yes, I believe so.

Russia is trying to stop all the conflicts on its periphery, and this one has gone for too long. Someone shot down a Russian helicopter quite far from the war zone in an apparent attempt to thwart Russia's peacemaking efforts and pull it into the conflict. Instead, Russia upped the pressure and sent in the peacekeepers hours later.

Will see how it goes. But interesting to see if Armenians revolt against their current government which has allowed all this to happen.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 09, 2020, 06:54:07 PM
The Azeris shot down a Russian helicopter yeterday morning and despite immediate statements that it was an accident, I imagine that was part of it.

Crucially the Azeris now have a land corridor to Turkey.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

I am just thinking, will future conflicts be mostly about drones?  What stops a country from making, say several hundred thousand drones and dominating the battlefield with them alone? 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on November 10, 2020, 08:46:11 PM
I am just thinking, will future conflicts be mostly about drones?  What stops a country from making, say several hundred thousand drones and dominating the battlefield with them alone?
Counter-measures, I imagine?  The trick is to not sit on your rusting Soviet equipment while your revanchist neighbor arms itself with the drones.

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on November 10, 2020, 08:48:33 PM
Counter-measures, I imagine?  The trick is to not sit on your rusting Soviet equipment while your revanchist neighbor arms itself with the drones.

Is the counter-measure for drones - drone-killer drones?  :unsure:

The Minsky Moment

EMP?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Can you disrupt the communication from the drone to the controller somehow?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."